1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

New here and scared

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by qtreeree, May 22, 2015.

1. qtreeree

qtreeree New Member

Hi. I'm new here and so happy to have found you. My name is Marie, and I'm 55 years oA ld. On dec 18, 2014 I fell and broke my fifth metatarsal and was told that surgery was the best option because the bone had splintered. On dec 26, 2014 I had surgery and a place and screws were put in as well as an external pin due to my bones being soft(according to my surgeon). A month after surgery the pin was removed and 24 hours later, my foot turned red, hot and swollen. The incision site also turned black and blue. I called my doctor and he saw me and put me on 2 different antibiotics and said if it wasn't better in 48 hrs that I would need to go to the hospital for iv antibiotics. Two days later, I was admitted to the hospital. Twenty four hrs later a nurse came in and said that they were moving me to isolation because culture was positive for mrsa along with osteomyelitis. They started me on vancomycin and a second surgery was scheduled for feb 8 to do a debridement and see how far the infection was. When I came out of the anesthesia, I found out that the hardware was removed because the infection was to the bone. I was sent home with a picc line in and 8 weeks of vancomycin iv at home. Here I am, picc line removed end of March, bone never healed because of hardware being removed too early. My surgeon has authorized an orthotic insole that is being made for me, but I don't know if that will work. The only way to fix this is with a bone graft and the risk of mrsa infection is just too high right now, so they won't do it. I don't know how I will take care of myself financially. Temporary disability won't last much longer. No one can even tell me if the mrsa is actually gone. My sed rate and crp tests were good at the end of my iv treatment. Shouldn't that say something? I can't walk well at all. If i'm on my feet for any more than an hour it swells, no matter if i wear sneaker, walking boot, or slipper. I still can't move my pinky toe. Some areas are painful, others numb, others cold(icy cold at times). I feel alone and as if no one understands. This was supposed to be a simple surgery and life should be back to normal now and it's been such a nightmare, I don't even remember what normal is anymore. Thanks for listening