1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Metatarsal Pain Almost 2 Years After Break

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Jul 19, 2009.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hello, just looking for a bit of advice here, not a magical cure or anything. I broke my 3rd metatarsal and fractured the 2nd and 4th back in August of 2007. I had surgery and a pin was put in my 3rd metatarsal, I'm not sure what it was called but it was put in at the front of the ball of my foot just below the toe and it was exposed at the end. After 8 weeks it was removed, and I never had any physical therapy or anything. For about a year or so I never had any problems with it really, although I never quite had full range of motion with my toes.

I joined the Army last October, and at first it didn't really bother me. But lately it has been getting worse, I think due to the physical activity I do everyday. I am on my feet a lot with very heavy loads, plus a lot of running and weight lifting. It's now at the point where I can't bend my toes at all except for my big toe, they just kinda twitch. The top of my foot where the break was is tender, with a pain that feels a bit numb yet sensitive. I have had a limp for about 4 months now and it seems to be getting worse.

I am a bit worried about injuring it again, and I can't really rest it, as all the activity is a requirement of my job. Any words of advice would be appreciated.

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

Whether or not it is related to your previous injury, you certainly need an evaluation which would hopefully result in a diagnois on which a treatment plan might be formulated. As you are in the army and have available to you free medical care, you have absolutely no excuse for not having it looked into . . . Why not??

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

The pin you are talking about is called a k-wire, (short for Kirschner Wire) named after the fellow who invented it. It too had 2 pins used to fixate 2 broken metatarsal shafts (see x-rays at footsahurtin.wordpress.com/2009/06/06/fractured-metatarsals/

In fact I just had the pins removed last week! Was your fracture similar to mine? Your case interests me because I've been curious as to what complications might arise in the future as my healing progresses. I'm no doctor but I would venture a guess that you may have some arthritis setting in? You should get it checked out soon and please report back with the doctor's findings! Good luck to you!

4. Rui

Rui Guest

I had my left foot third metatarsal surgery in 2015. It recovered well enough. I didn't go for physical therapy either. The range motion is definitely less than before but it doesn't seem it bothers me either. I just noticed when I walk bare feet all my four toes except the big toe, are raised up from floor unintentionally. I tried to put them down but my body just do it for me. They always try to raise up to protect for pain. I had a pair of metatarsal support shoe inset made just for me. It is expensive and it works very well. Now it's 2017, from time to time, I started notice myetatarsal bone hurts when I walk too much, run too much, or work too hard around house by doing yard work. A lot of time, I just ignore it but other time I am kind concerned too. I guess there is no good way. If you don't have a metatarsal suport shoe insert by now, I highly reconmend it. It worth the money. I paid about 800 dollars 2 years ago. Once I wear it, my body just knew I won't walk without it.