1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

bruised heel, how long should it hurt?

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by kdub, Apr 1, 2009.

1. kdub

kdub Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I bruised my heel almost 2 weeks ago, it seems like it should be better by now but, I do work on my feet on a concrete floor 40 hours a week. I wear the Z-coil shoes, which I am sure have helped. I notice the foot is especially stiff and sore first thing in the morning. I am diabetic, so now I am getting worried, my doctor is on vacation. Am I working myself up over nothing?

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS-ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    Yes. You are overlooking something. It's called a diagnosis. I don't know whether you used the term "bruise" in its medical sense or its lay sense, so it is not possible to offer advice based on your words. A bruise, or contusion is an injury severe enough to cause a breakdown of the substance of the injured tissue so as to release blood into the surrounding area. Such blood may be evidenced visually as a "black and blue" mark through the skin or may be totally obscured from view. In the case of bone, such an injury may require a substantial, usually blunt force. Bone bruises or bone contusions, as they are more appropriately termed can result in long term pain and tenderness slow to resolve, and may even result in calcified masses from the clot formed by the release blood. Again, stiffness is a rather nebulous term, but it generally refers to tender, painful or limited motion at a joint, and I don't know if that is what you are attempt to portray. Of course, a diabetic should be especially wary of any injury to the feet, mainly because of two factors:

1. Poor peripheral circulation which often accompanies diabetes can both be a factor in any healing process and an injury might exacerbate the vascular problem.

2. Insensitivity of the feet which often results from common diabetic neuropathy may mitigate the pain on which one relies to assess the severity of an injury.

So, the answer to your bottom line question as to whether you are working yourself up over nothing cannot be answered without a knowledgeable evaluation, which is what I suggest you obtain.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009