1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

treadmill accident, sprained ankle, etc.

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by clumsygirl, Nov 24, 2008.

1. clumsygirl

clumsygirl Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    On Wednesday night I was running on the treadmill and tripped on my shoe lace. I tried to catch myself and ended up with my left heel getting caught up on the side rail. The treadmill was still going so it caused my half planted foot to spin around and up which turned me facing the back of the treadmill. I then fell backwards slightly and caught my self on the handrails. unfortunately my feet had nowhere to land but on the (still running) tread which then flung me face forward into the window behind the treadmill and back onto the treadmill where I landed on my left wrist and ultimately the floor. I really don't think I could recreate it if I had to... it all happened so fast.

Anyhow... at first my arm/wrist, knee and ankle hurt a little but I was able to walk back up to my condo from the building gym with out to much trouble. Still in a bit of shock and just thinking I could walk off the pain. I had a shower, took some advil and went to bed.

The next morning I woke up with a lot of bruising and swelling around my ankle (you could not even see the knobby bones on the sides) which extended up my lower leg toward my knee. And a bit of tenderness and stiffness in the wrist. I wrapped my leg with compression bandages from foot to above the knee and my wrist. I iced, I elevated, I took some left over prescription pain meds from a previous injury (YES, I know this was a bad idea). I spent most of my time taking it easy but did go about my normal routine and walk despite pain. Again I was hoping it would all be fine in a couple days. I think I was in denial having just gotten back to normal from my last injury.

On Saturday I ran out of pain medication and it was clear that the swelling around my ankle and up my lower leg was not better and my toes kept going numb. My knee felt okay though. I went to the emergency room.

I left on crutches with my lower leg and ankle in a splint, which I am to adjust as the swelling decreases. I was instructed not to bear weight or drive for 10 days and to seek follow up at that time (more xrays and possibly an MRI) I also was instructed to wear a knee brace and had my wrist put in a soft cast.

The xrays showed no fractures. I was told an MRI was not possible because of the swelling ... the doctor said that likely I had a Grade 2 sprain in my ankle and possible damage in my lower leg, but do to the extreme swelling and pain I was experiencing he could not accurately diagnose the full extent of the injuries. No information was given on my knee but that as a precaution (because of an almost complete mcl tear 1 1/2 years ago) I should protect it. Same with my wrist (which I had a minor fracture in a 2 years ago).

The doctor wouldn't speculate so my questions are:
    What is the best and worst case scenario for my injuries?
    How long will it take to heal?
    Is there anything I can or should do?

I suppose I should also mention I am 32 year old female in good health.
    I am most concerned about my knee/leg/ankle...

Is it likely that after 10 days I willl be able to walk?
    Or will some other form of immobilization be likely?

Right now the pain is ridiculous. I feel stupid for not having gone in sooner but I was scared to hear bad news. Also, I am a Canadian snowbird, and I live in the US 75% of the time. I have travel medical insurance but it likely won't cover the MRI or any on going therapy. Any idea how much this will cost? The idea of traveling in this condition does not thrill me....

Thanks

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

You post seems to be better thought-out and more detailed than are most which I read here, and after an ill-advised delay, you seem to have gotten yourself what sounds like reasonable initial care. It would be silly to think that some third-party, who has never seen you, much less personally evaluated your condition, could provide you with answers to question which apparently you have not yet address to the actual providers of care and who could base their opinions on facts rather than total conjecture. My advice would be to contact your attending doctor(s) and have him/her/them provide you with answers on which you should be able to rely, including an estimate of costs as reflected by the generally accepted fees and charges in the region in which you are located.