1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

bunion surgery

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by bralady38, Mar 16, 2009.

1. bralady38

bralady38 New Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.

My name is Linda and last week I had Bunion Surgery, I also have heel spurs and plantar Fascilitis. The doctor put a screw in my toe and than taped it up. I was wondering to expect in way of recovery. I have a job that i stand on my feet for more than 7 hours a day. For the heel spurs he is giving me cortisone shots and he is going to make me inserts for my shoes. What is a realistic time line for going back to work. My job won't take me back until the doctor gives his ok and I will be able to do my job properly Any advice you can give me will be greatly appreciated since I am new to all this:cool:

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

Did you never consider getting such unimportant questions answered by your own surgeon B E F O R E your surgery? I suppose I should have gotten some semblance of where your brains are by the name you have selected for sign-on, but even so, asking these questions here is beyond the pail.

3. bralady38

bralady38 New Member

Dear Foot Doctor
    I grew up with the impression that no question is a stupid question, and can't believe your answers to mine. Yes, most certainly I asked my doctor all the appropiate questions before I had my surgery. I was under the impressions that this was a board to help people instead of criticising their question, I just want to compare with what I heard and what other patients have gone through. I find you very rude and would never come to you for any answers, I can't believe they call your name is foot doctor. As for my name, even though I needn't explain it. I am a employed in a management postion at one of the biggest Victoria's Secret in the country and what name I pick as a sign in name is not up for discussion. I wish you a very good day

4. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

Indeed there ARE stupid questions, Ms. bralady, and you've proven that here. If you had properly done your homework prior to your surgery and had chosen a doctor whose answers you could respect and rely upon, you wouldn't be coming to an Internet site to ask those who cannot possibly offer you reliable answers to that of which you should have been very clear prior to your surgery. Your question certainly gives absolutely no clue that you had obtained any such information from your surgeon or had any real understanding of what was done. To wit:

"The doctor put a screw in my toe and than taped it up."

Is this really the level of understanding, much less the concern for oneself to be expected from a person who professes to be in a management position with a major retailer? I would HOPE not!

A good day to you too.

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

That was a very rude reply to a question which is not stupid. I thought you were supposed to answer questions that pertained to foot problems but I see you are quite insenitive to people who are suffering. You should give your board to a doctor who knows how to be one. I have visited other boards and have never seen this before, there goes your karma.

6. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

First of all, this is not MY "board." I am but a contributor here, just like you . . Well, maybe not J U S T like you. Secondly, I'm not "supposed" to or required to answer ANYTHING. I answer that which I wish to answer and with what I consider an appropriate response, most of which have been quite well received. Ask a reasonable and intelligent question and likely I will respond with a reasonable and intelligent answer. Ask one which is otherwise, and you might well get what you got. In any case, like it or not, mine was an instructive one, made the point I wished to make and one which I thought needed to be made. I would suggest that, as you claim to find more entertaining responses, maybe even with karma on those other "board" which you have visited, thems are the ones where you might go in the future with such a question as you had asked here. You might even find that uplifting . . if you get my drift, Ms. bralady.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  7. jijji1313

jijji1313 Guest

I had bunion surgery 1 week and 3 days ago. I feel good, got completely off my meds. I still can't walk. I am back to work with a wheelchair and light duty. My foot is a little inflamed but I have no pain as long as I don't walk on it. I walk with a walker to the restroom and very short distances like to a restuarant. My doctor said in 6 weeks I should be able to work as usual and in 3 month I can run again! Good Luck and stay posted!

8. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Maybe "Foot Dr" is just an angry. disgruntled Dr. whose license has been suspended or revoked and is venting his frustrations and god complex over the internet.

Sorry Doc, you were out of line and your tone was not necessary. Your right, we're all not Dr's and do not have your education as is quite apparent by Bralady's sign in name and letter. ("...one of the biggest Victoria's Secrets in the country.") (Is she talking square footage?) But I've learned it doesn't make you a better person to shove her ignorance down her throat. What good comes of it? Other than it feeds your own ego.

You had two options. Answer her letter in a polite and gracious manner. With the courteous suggestion that in the future she should write all her important questions down and ask her Dr before surgery. Or option two. Don't get your dander up if she annoyed you and don't answer her question. Let the poor twit suffer.

As I tell my children: "Play nice."

Bunion Patient

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  9. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hey Foot Smack, you're a M I S E R A B L E wimpy anonyomous troll bully

10. Stasia

Stasia Guest

Hi, this is not a comment regarding Bralady and her questions. I wasn't sure if I should ask a question here or start a new thread. This thread is a few months old--hope the Foot Doc is still around--but that he won't yell at me. ;-)

I wasn't given much info by my surgeon prior to my bunion operation but did alot of research on the internet to prepare myself. Most people complained of so much pain that I considered cancelling my procedure. My surgery took place around noon today and I was given a general anesthesia. I woke up 45 min. later in a cast in recovery and didn't go back to sleep. Felt fine but was not allowed to go home until after 4:00--just sat around and chatted with nurses and other patients, waiting to be released. The woman beside me said she slept for 4 hours after her surgery (general anesthia also) and couldn't believe I was awake so soon following surgery. The surgeon gave me a prescription for Tylenol 3 but I was so paranoid about the anticipated pain that I asked him for something stronger. He gave me a prescription for Demerol as well and told me to take 2 every 4 hours as needed but to switch to Tylenol a.s.a.p. He told me to keep my foot elevated but did not mention ice. I sat in the back seat of a large SUV with my foot elevated for the 1.5 hour drive home. I used crutches to walk the few steps from the vehicle to the bottom of the front steps at my home and promptly fell at the bottom of the steps. I fell on my butt but my operated-on foot did touch the ground as I was trying to balance myself. My husband got me up the steps and into bed and I have had my foot elevated above my heart since about 5:30 and have been draping a bag of frozen peas over my cast, alternating 30 min. on and 30 min. off. I decided on leaving the hospital to take a Demerol at the first sign of pain but so far have not experienced any--it's now almost 9:30. I'm wondering if I should take one anyway, incase I wake up in the night in excruciating pain. I doubt if you will be able to reply this evening so I think I will take my chances, as I'd rather not take drugs if it's not necessary to do so. Is it possible that I won't have any pain at all or is it going to hit me in a day or two? I wasn't expecting this at all and am wondering if it's normal.

Thanks for your anticipated response.

ThongLady
    (just kidding)
    :)

11. Stasia

Stasia Guest

Sorry for above typo: 'anesthesia' is what I meant to write.

12. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS- ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    What you have related is pretty much in line with my experience with the vast majority of bunion surgeries I've performed over several decades. It is probably the case that you were given a local infiltration anesthesia block about the surgical site at the conclusion of the surgery, probably with a long-acting variety, such as Marcaine. That might keep you totally pain free for as much as 10 hours after surgery. If and when you decide to take analgesics, it is rarely a good idea be a hero and to see how long you can go without medication, especially in the early post-operative stages. I generally encourage my patients to take a dosage at bedtime on the first night, with or without pain, then to see how it goes. In my experience, it is not unusual that patients take little or sometimes even no medication after that first dose, although they may need some in the days to come when weight-bearing is okayed. When you do get up be especially careful when taking narcotic analgesics so that you don't fall. I generally encourage my patients to sit for a moment with feet down over the edge of the bed to get their bearings and check for dizziness before ambulating. My only yelling at you would be for having submitted to surgery without insisting on a clear understanding of what to expect from the mouth of your surgeon. You can't even honestly sign the Consent to Operate form without that knowledge.

13. Stasia

Stasia Guest

Hi Doc,

Time spent with doctors is very limited here in Canada and my pre-op appointments were quite quick and to the point. I was shown my ex-rays and told how the procedure would be performed and that I'd be on crutches to begin with and in a cast for about a month but details about pain management were not discussed--and I, admittedly, didn't know what questions to ask. I didn't consider the pain aspect until after I'd read dozens of blogs online written by people who had experienced great pain after bunion surgery--and that was only a couple of days ago. Thank you for your speedy and helpful response to my concerns. If I were trying to be a 'hero', I wouldn't have asked for Demerol in the first place--but I didn't want to take medication if it wasn't necessary. I appreciate your advice and now that I know the pain could set in anytime soon, I'm going to take my medicine right now! Nighty-night!!

14. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

Your experience with blogs is the precise reason why I discourage folks from asking others, especially on the Internet, about their personal experiences regarding surgery. The answers you obtain, either good or bad, have no bearing on what you are necessarily or even likely going to experience. They will merely give you unreasonable expectations on both end of the spectrum. First of all, insufficient responses can be gotten so that it will reflect your likely reality. Secondly, these not always well-meaning folks have no idea as to whether both you and they have the same circumstance or have undergone the same surgical procedure, and thirdly, those who do respond are overwhelmingly the ones who have had bad experiences, not to mention that some people have made a life and career out of relating poor medical results. (You never hear anyone relating about what an wonderful appendectomy they had, do you? . . although that is the case most of the time.) Frankly, I don't know if these folks have had bad doctors or if they are just chronic complainers, as I have performed all sorts of foot surgeries for more than 30 years, and in my experience, severe pain and severe complications as are so often related here have been proportionally few and far between. Such DOES occur, but certainly not at the rate which one might assume from posts in blogs and forums. Finally, under any system of medical care delivery, I would encourage the patient to have surgery only after obtaining all the information from his/her surgeon which is necessary for an informed decision. It is the duty of the patient to him/herself even if the doctor is remiss in doing so voluntarily.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2009
  15. Stasia

Stasia Guest

Since I didn't know what to ask at the time I met with the doctor prior to my surgery, I found it helpful to read of others' experiences online and I did take into consideration that some of the posters might just be big wimps or maybe had to care for children and/or go back to work too soon after their surgery, thereby causing their own discomfort. I figured if I was prepared for the worst case scenario and my experience turned out to be less painful than that of some of the bloggers, it would be a welcome surprise--better than expecting the recovery to be a walk in the park and then finding out otherwise.

Anyway, it happened just as you said it likely would--my foot started to ache around 10:30 last night. I took 2 demerols immediately and then again at 3 a.m. and 7 a.m. Around 10:30 this morning I threw up so I took 2 Tylenol 3s at 11 a.m. instead of demerol. They seem to be working just as well for the pain as the demerol did (better, actually) so hopefully they won't upset my stomach like the demerol did and I'll be able to stick with them. I'm sure that certain meds affect different people in different ways so I'm glad I was able to fill two prescriptions rather than finding out that one wasn't working for me and have to wait until Monday to see my family doctor and ask for an alternate drug. I believe that I should have been told about the local anesthesia by the doctor, anesthesiologist or a nurse before I left the hospital so I could have anticipated that my foot wouldn't feel sore until several hours later. Thank goodness I came across this site last night. If you hadn't responded so promptly, I might not have taken the meds until it was too late and would have undoubtably endured a very painful and sleepless night. Thanks again, ever so much!

Sincerely,
    Stasia

16. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS-ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    The vomiting you experienced was probably not from stomach upset but because of a common side effect of opiate narcotics in that they irritate what is called the emetic CTZ (chemoreceptor trigger zone) in the medulla (brain stem). This is the same area which is acted upon by ipecac, which, in the proper dose is used to produce vomiting such as when it is necessary to empty the stomach of a non-corrosive poison. Demerol (meperidine) is a synthetic opioid-type narcotic, while the codeine in Tylenol #3 is a natural-occurring alkaloid found in opium which the body then metabolizes to morphine. Both Demerol and codeine will effect the emetic chemoreceptor trigger zone, and both may cause constipation . . so watch out. Actually, taking a full grain of codeine, as in taking 2 tablets of Tylenol #3's is a pretty hefty dose. I have personally found in my patients that 50 mg of Demerol is more than enough and rarely recommend more than 1 tablet of Tylenol #3 in its stead, and generally use neither for anything other than a very short period of time after surgery. I generally start my patient's out on a long acting NSAID the day before surgery and have them continue to take it for a couple of days after surgery even if they have no pain. I routinely sending my surgical patients home with a prescription for 12 tablets of Demerol 50 mg to be taken 1 every 4 to 6 hours if needed and rarely do they use more than half of the 12 tablets. Now, you're going to hear that many surgeons will restrict their patients from taking aspirin or NSAIDS in the peri-surgical time period due to its propensity to cause bleeding. But with proper surgical technique, that, in my opinion, is not a substantial problem when doing foot surgery. But again, DO NOT change any of your doctor's instructions without checking with him/her first. Barring complications, all this will pass in reasonable time anyhow. The Important thing is that the procedure corrects the problem, so good luck with the final outcome.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2009
  17. Stasia

Stasia Guest

Hi Doc,

The surgeon gave me prescriptions for 20 x 50 mg. of Demerol and 48 x 30 mg. of Tylenol 3. Mind you, he was only going to give me the latter but I asked for more just to be on the safe side. A woman I know told me that Tylenol wouldn't be enough to control the pain and I was afraid of being stranded for the whole weekend without adequate meds. I've taken 6 of the Demerol tablets in total between 10:30 last night and 7:00 this morning, then switched to Tylenol and have taken 5 of those since 11:00 this morning...2 at 11:00, 2 at 3:00 and 1 at 6:00, as I was feeling pain before my intended pill-taking time of 7:00. I was going to take the second one at 7:00 but, after reading your last message, I'll only take one at a time from now on and only as needed, although my foot is starting to ache and throb (at 7:30-ish). I have Advil on hand to take when I don't feel I need Tylenol anymore and I also bought some Dulcolax incase of a constipation problem. Also purchased some Zinc and Vitamin C to take later on in addition to my regular multi-vitamin, vitamin D and calcium supplement, which I'll resume when I'm finished with the Tylenols. Does all this sound ok? Thanks again--please feel free to tell me to shut up if you're tired of my questions! But I'm really grateful that you're here. :)

18. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS- ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    Stasis, I've attempted to make it crystal clear that I am only relating what I do in MY practice, and have cautioned that you should not change anything that your doctor told you to do without first checking with him/her. I have no responsibility for you. Your own doctor does. So what I have said and will have to say on the matter is mere general information based on what my PERSONAL protocols are for post-surgical care.

I tend to infer by what you have said that you might think that Tylenol and Tylenol #3 are the same medication. Tylenol is acetaminophen, a commonly used OTC analgesic. It's clinical action differs from aspirin in that it is not an anti-inflammatory. Tylenol #3 is a controlled drug which adds 30 mg of codeine, an opioid, to the acetaminophen. So, I would agree that plain Tylenol would often not be sufficient for bone surgery pain. I am, however, in no position, nor do I want to be, to direct how many, how often and what sort of analgesic or other medications YOU take. That being said, I would consider supplements of zinc, multivitamins, vitamin C, vitamin D and calcium irrelevant to your recovery, unless, of course, you have an actual deficiency. But again, please do not substitute my protocol or what I prescribe and how I prescribe it for that ordered or recommended by your own doctor. Finally, I am not at all troubled by being asked reasonable questions such as you have posed.

19. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Although I'm not experienced with taking prescription medications, I do know that Tylenol 3 is not the same as over-the-counter Tylenol. I'd rather not take any more prescription drugs than necessary so I was glad to know that 1 pill has been adequate in most of the cases that you've dealt with. I am not attempting to hold you responsible for me or my surgery in any way. My doctor gave me a guideline for taking medication 'as needed' and please rest assured that if I find I need more, I will take make that adjustment. Thanks for your time.

20. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

One of the major problems with venues such as this is that the responder's only frame of reference is the precise words used by the questioner. Thus, when you wrote, "A woman I know told me that Tylenol wouldn't be enough to control the pain and I was afraid of being stranded for the whole weekend without adequate meds," I assumed you were speaking of Tylenol and not Tylenol #3 . . else you would have written Tylenol #3 and not just Tylenol . . thus my clarification. Also, as some of your responses indicate that you had possibly modified what and how much meds you were taking as a result of my answers, I felt that I needed to remind you that it is your own doctor and not me who has assumed responsibility for you and that he/she should be consulted before following any protocol that I use in MY practice. It was no way a suggestion that you thought that I had actually taken responsibility. In answering questions, I always like to make it very clear that my points of view represent only my way of doing things and that I am not suggesting that you or any other poster do it the same way without first clearing in with your or their own doctor. I guess that unlike many doctors, I attempt to make my statements and recommendations precisely clear. I wish you well with your surgery.