1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

5th Metatarsal spiral displaced fracture

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Aug 28, 2010.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Family Practice Dr. in Urgent Care said I had a 5th metatarsal spiral fracture (displaced) and would likely need a foot boot? or cast...didn't think surgery would be necessary. I fell off bottom step inside my house. Got called on my cell phone 10 minutes after leaving and Podiatrist's assistant said to come in and make appointment for surgery. She said I'd most likely need surgery although doctor would have to diagnose but she figured he'd want to do surgery from what she's seen him do.

Two questions:

What is the "normal" procedure for this type of fracture? Should I get a 2nd opinion? I'm in a small town and it would be hard to get a 2nd opinion when all the drs. work at the same clinic.

What would it generally cost for surgery as an outpatient. She said it would be at least $12,000! I find this hard to believe especially since it will likely be even more!

I live in Minnesota and would like to go to a reputable doctor, possibly the Mayo...but is this over doing it?

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS-ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    Do you have reason to believe that the family practice doctor whom you saw is sufficiently experienced in such injuries to render an expert opinion? How did you come to see a podiatrist after seeing the family practice doctor if you don't feel comfortable getting a second opinion? If you are talking $12,000, the larger portion of that would likely be the facility fee and I would have no way of knowing what that fee might be in whatever facility you would be operated. It would be really irresponsible for a doctor on the Internet to advise whether surgery is or is not necessary without having examined you and your x-rays. I can't see that a comment from someone unknown to in an Internet forum could or should allay your concerns anyhow. If one is undecided about the appropriateness of ANY medical advice, it is best to obtain additional opinions as time allows from other qualified doctors, but by hands-on examination.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2010