1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Big toe fusion and not healing need help!

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by hisbeauty4ashes, Sep 18, 2010.

1. hisbeauty4ashes

hisbeauty4ashes New Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Help!

I had a joint in my big toe that went bad and do we decided to fuse it. Well now here it is five and a half months latter and it is barley fusing. I have been using a bone stimulator also. I go into the doctors office yesterday and he says well we might think about what we want to do, He says, I think we can just leave it that way, and you you have rods over it. Then he says, I do not think there is any difference between having the fusion anyway if you have rods in there. I looked at him like WHAT!!!! :confused: I felt like gee and why did I have this surgery in the first place if the rods would just fix the situation. I am angry!

Please tell me if this is true that it is okay just to leave it unfused with the rods and why did I have the surgery to begin with as far as having it fused?

Thanks the upset one.:(
    Hisbeauty.

2. mezinpain

mezinpain New Member

hi everyone
    please please can you help me? i am so stressing out. i am 36 years old and 11 years ago i went on a trip of a lifetime!!! i went on a contii tour which turned out to be life altering. We had just left france wherei had bought a cheap pair of shoes, in the hotel i had slipped i dont remember how trying to find my friend as her fiance had rang her, anyway to cut a long story short i did some serious damage on my foot.

i had an operation 9 years later walking before that i was actually walking around with a ripped tendon and torn ligament and i dont konw what my surgeon did in 2006 but i was still in agony after the operation, not to mention pure agony for about 4 months, i also had a pin in my toe.

now its 2 years after that operation and i am scheduled for a mock fusion op on tues on my big right toe (the same surgeon is going to put a pin in there) and i just dont know if i should do it! i am sooooooo scared, i dont know if its going to be worse orrr much much worse and i have a 3 year old to look after and am married.

oh my quality of life is very bad as i am in pain every second of every hour!!! please should i get this op or not?

i just want this toe agony to finish!

3. footpain

footpain New Member

Hi There!

After 1 bunion surgery, another to fix that one 10 years later.. and then a fusion I can relate here. My fusion did not take either. They had to break midfoot as well to lengthen my toe. My foot did not except the bone they put into it and i had a reaction to the metal plate. 1 year later it was fixed so i went through the process again and a year later hardware removal. I now have permanent pain in my midfood, big toe has lessened but still not good and I have 2 morton's neuroma in 2 toes on the ball of my foot because i have walked poorly for so long!

Have then check and may need to set the fusion again! Good luck!