1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Osteotomy 5 months ago - still in significant pain

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by leslilu, Apr 19, 2009.

1. leslilu

leslilu New Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I had a large bone spur removed from the top of my right foot last November. While I swelled on and off considerably, I felt this was probably normal. Trying to resume a normal life and career, which requires me to stand frequently has been extremely difficult. At night when I get off my feet, I experience pain that reaches anywhere between a 5-7 on the pain scale. I visited my podiatrist (in February) who performed the surgery and was told I needed orthotics. My doctor did not take any x-rays, or palpate my foot to see if I had any underlying issues. I have been in orthotics for 2 months now, with no relief and continuing nightly pain. I have iced, applied heat, used anti-inflammatories, orthotics, several different styles of shoes, etc. Nothing has worked yet. Had I known this would have been the case, I definitely would not have had this elective surgery.

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS-ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    It sounds like you had a partial ostectomy, not an osteotomy. An osteotomy is a surgical fracturing and repositioning, generally with fixation of a bone segment. I'd bet you probably had treatment for a saddlebone deformity. If what you state is accurate, it would seem likely to me that you did not have an appropriate evaluation for your post-surgical problems. What was your doctor's diagnosis for which he/she recommended orthotics? Personally I get aggravated when I hear that a podiatrist has prescribed orthotics without first establishing a diagnosis

3. leslilu

leslilu New Member

Thank you so much for your response. Indeed I had a large bone spur removed from the top of my foot. I visited an orthopedic surgeon last week, and lo and behold, x-rays (which consequently were NOT taken when I visited my foot doctor in February) revealed a misalignment of where my bones should be lined up (the bones of my big toe) - creating complete "instability". Options are shoe inserts and/or fusing of the joint with plate and screws to keep it stable. While I'm very glad I finally have a light at the end of the tunnel - it looks like I'm headed down another fun road. Oh and yes.....orthotics were NOT needed. :(

4. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

I am at a total loss to understand your situation. How do you get from removal of a spur on the top of the foot (I still bet it was a saddlebone deformity) to a mal-alignment of the first metatarso-phalangeal joint, and why would the choices be shoe inserts or fusion of the joint? I think that perhaps you have your story wrong.

5. leslilu

leslilu New Member

You are correct. I had a saddle bone deformity that was removed. When I went to the doctor recently, and had x-rays taken - my first metatarsal-phalangeal joint is misaligned. The correction my doc stated would be (non-surgical) - a graphite style inlay in my shoe and (surgical) - fusion of the joint. What would your suggestions be? Right now, my quality of life is down the tubes because I'm unable to be on my feet for a long time.

6. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS- ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    I cannot imagine any connection between saddlebone deformity surgery and a mal-aligned metatarso-phalangeal joint. And I am equally as puzzled at the treatment choices being either an inlay in the shoe or surgical fusion of the joint. Something doesn't add up here or I'm not getting anywhere near the whole story.

7. leslilu

leslilu New Member

The only thing that I can think of is that I had this condition already and it didn't manifest until after the surgery. I'm not sure one actually caused the other. However, I'm a bit concerned by your concern that the treatment is not in line with what I'm hearing. I wish I could give you more information, I'm only going with the information that I was given at my appointments. So perhaps there is more to the story that I don't know either. Thank you for your feedback. It allows me to ask more questions of my physician.