1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

avulsion fracture at the base of the 5th metatarsal

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by lkh515, Mar 21, 2011.

1. lkh515

lkh515 New Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I rolled my ankle about 4 months ago whilst playing soccer, it was quite painful and there was a lump on the side of my foot, i went to the GP and he said it was nothing so i kept playing sport etc as per usual with some pain. three months after the incident i went back due to continual pain at the site, i got an x-ray which revealed there was a non-union fracture at the base of my 5th metatarsal. my gp referred me to an orthopedic surgeon which took 3 weeks to get an appointment, during this three weeks i stopped all exercise and there was virtually no pain in my foot. the orthopedic surgeon told me that i had an avulsion fracture and that i was fine to keep playing sport, that it wouldn't worsen the injury or prolong the healing. the next day i went to soccer training and ever since have a pain in my foot. it is not overly painful but its sore and uncomfortable. i am wondering whether the orthopedic surgeon was correct in saying i can play sport or should i get a second opinion?

Thank you for your help

2. Smokey

Smokey Guest

I've broken the base of my 5th too, and mine took awhile to heal. The problem is that the peroneus brevis tendon pulls at the base of the 5th met every time you move your foot up and down.

I would think if you are feeling enough soreness and pain that you are writing on here about it that you should do two things: 1) stop doing what causes pain and 2) get another opinion or phone the ortho and tell him what you are feeling.

Hope this helps.

3. lkh515

lkh515 New Member

thanks smokey.

were you able to play sport while the fracture was healing?

do you think its unusual that he said i was fine to play sport with the fracture? he also said if its still sore in 3 months that he can do surgery and put a pin in. i really dont want surgery so was hoping there were other options such as the boot?

how long did yours take to heal in total? can playing sport on it make it worse/ prolong healing?

4. SMokey

SMokey Guest

I was in an aircast and no, I couldn't do any sports because I also damaged my tendons. However, I know of others who were able to do sports. I think when a doctor tells you that you can do stuff, he means if you feel you are able, then you can do it. If you are feeling lots of soreness and pain, then don't do it. It's the same as when they say "weightbearing as tolerated." That means "put weight on your foot if it doesn't hurt too much." Some people tolerate more than others.

The actual fracture site wasn't painful within about 5 weeks of breaking it, but I've torn tendons so that is actually more painful than the fracture and is taking much longer to heal.

5. lkh515

lkh515 New Member

Thanks that makes heaps of sense.

he did ask would i play if i didn't know it was fracture and i answered yes becuase i had been playing and i told him there was pain but it was enough to deter me, i love playing soccer and oz tag.

it wasn't until i took the 3 weeks off between finding out i had a fractured foot and seeing the orhtopedic surgeon, that it pretty much stopped hurting. when i went back to soccer i really noticed the difference.

what would your advice be now? keep off it or make another appointment to see the orthopedic surgeon or see a different one? i really enjoy soccer and the season has only just started so i don't mind missing a few weeks but i don't want to get surgery and be out for the whole season.

6. Smokey

Smokey Guest

My understanding is that you can't do more damage to an avulsion fracture by playing sports, etc. but I do know that it can get quite sore as often there is other damage (tissues, ligaments, etc.) that also get sore.

If you're really uncertain, see your ortho again. You can get another opinion but not sure you need one.

I am also not sure why your doctor even mentioned surgery as it's not usually done for 5th met avulsion fractures and if it was displaced enough to do surgery, they usually do that right off.

I don't want to tell you to play or not play -- you live in your body and only you know how it feels after you play or do stuff. If it was me, though, I'd probably take a couple more weeks off and then try playing. Better safe than sorry.

7. lkh515

lkh515 New Member

thank you veyr much for your help.

i think he recommended surgery if there was still pain in three months time and i guess if it hasn't healed in 7 months maybe it won't heal but im not sure about that though.

thanks again for your help!

8. lkh515

lkh515 New Member

thank you veyr much for your help.

i think he recommended surgery if there was still pain in three months time and i guess if it hasn't healed in 7 months maybe it won't heal but im not sure about that though.

thanks again for your help!

9. Smokey

Smokey Guest

An avulsion fracture doesn't normally get surgery from what my ortho told me. Mine broke straight across the base, right into the joint, and he said he wouldn't have done surgery for that type of break (I just found out it went into the joint).

I am wondering if you have tendon issues, not just fracture issues. Perhaps you should ask for an MRI.

Also, at the base of the 5th met, it doesn't often heal with bone according to x-rays, but a fibrous union because the peroneal tendon is pulling on it. This fibrous union is still strong enough though.

10. lkh515

lkh515 New Member

so are you saying that even though the x-ray and ct confirmed a non-union fracture, it may actually be healed? or as good as it will get? if this is the case should i still be in pain if there were no tendon issues?

is the fibrous union more prone to future breaks?

sounds painful, i dont think mine is right through the bone from my uneducated interpretation of the ct scan. does yours still show a non-union? i dont think mine is that bad, the night i rolled it, it was pretty painful but i kept on playing the rest of the game in goals cos we had no reserves. its just been sore for a very long time which is why i got the x-ray and cos i have a little lump on the side of my foot.

what would tendon issues be?

11. lkh515

lkh515 New Member

do i need physio?

12. Smokey

Smokey Guest

Physio could definitely help as they would use ultraound and massage to help reduce the inflammation in the tendons and other soft tissues. It will take more than one session though.

13. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I know you wrote this a while back but sometimes people will "search", like I did, and it could help them.
    I have an avulsion fracture that ended up being a fibrous non-union. I had an x-ray 1 month after the injury and on that x-ray you can see the fibrous union (although my orthopedic doctor at the time couldn't tell it was, she thought it was healing nicely and was ready to send me back to work). I saw a podiatrist three months post injury and asked him, "what are the chances of this re-fracturing". He said " there is no re-fracturing, its already fractured, it never healed". Seems pretty obvious! My foot, ankle and lower outside of my leg are sore now. I stretch it out often but still have to watch where I step. It has now been four months since the injury. My podiatrist also said that my injury should have been surgically repaired right when I injured it. Very frustrating injury!! Everyone's injury is so very different and must be treated on an individual basis. I never even heard of this type of 5th metatarsal fracture before. I will CERTAINLY NEVER FORGET!!
    I hope you have healed up "Smokey" or "Gimpy Girl" and you've forgot about this website. You have helped a lot of people on this forum.

14. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Ya know there Smokey that's some of the worst so called helpful info I have found in all my research. You shouldn't say some of those things because you have no idea what you're talking about. It may sound mean but you can't give reasonable insights on the complications of injuries that have not happened to you. Do you really know what someone should do and the possible outcomes of a fibrous union.
    I think that you may be smoking to much weed there Dr. Smokey!!
    Peace out man! And don't bogart that joint my friend!