1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Bunion Surgery Recovery

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Dec 26, 2009.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I had a pretty simple bunionectomy 5 weeks ago. Simple in that the "bump" was removed and tendons between my big toe and second toe were released. There was no need to break a bone or no need for pins, etc. I did not experience much pain in the first few weeks after surgery, in fact I only used the percocet for 3 or 4 days. Swelling was minimal, and I qualified my pain as soreness more than "pain". Things seemed to be going quite well except that the incision wasn't fully healed, but I wasn't worried about that yet.

I saw the doctor last Monday because there is about 3/4 inch of my incision that was not healing and was still weeping and was becoming quite painful. I was nervous that it might be setting up an infection. My doctor cleaned it, put new steri-strips on it and prescribed an antibiotic "just in case".

I am a bit concerned that this long after surgery(more than 5 weeks now), my incision isn't healed and I have begun experiencing a great deal of pain and swelling off and on throughout the day. The incision itself doesn't seem to be as sensitive although it is still weeping a bit, however the intermittent pain and swelling are concerning me. I even began to take the percocet occasionally to control the pain.

I am planning on calling my doc on Monday, however, I was hoping to hear from others if this is normal or am I just being really impatient?

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS- ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    Of COURSE it is not "normal" for an incision to not be healed 5 weeks after surgery, but it isn't all that of an unusual complication either. Incisions may fail to heal in a timely manner for a number of reasons other than frank bacterial infection. The skin sutures may have been too constricting or made so by the swelling, the area about the incision and adjacent blood vessels may have been unduly traumatize, tissues might have become dehydrated during the surgical procedure or there may now be a stitch "abscess," which is a sterile abscess caused by an unabsorbed absorbable suture. Actual infection would normally be attended by the pain, heat, redness, swelling an purulent discharge normally associated with bacterial infections, but a culture and sensitivity PRIOR to the empiric and prophylactic use of antibiotic would be the best course. If I were you, I would call my doctor just to give him/her a heads-up on your situation and let your doctor decide if you should be seen before Monday. Put the ball in his/her court instead of yours.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
  3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Tomorrow is 4 wks post bunionectomy with Austin Kalish procedure and screws. I'm 54 y old female who races bicycles and teaches spin so am in very good health. I was told I'd be walking in a boot 1 wk post op, I am still wearing the little post surgical shoe and down to one crutch only now!

I elevate and ice as much as possible, but am surprised at the slow recovery. My pain only got better about a week ago. I teach spin and had expected to be back on the bike w/in 2 wks. (I did go back in 3, but am teaching off the bike)

I think it's all about swelling, even when it doesn't look like much it compresses all those small structures and causes pressure -> pain.

I've had 7 hrs jaw surgery, 5 hr back and 3 hr shoulder surgery and I'd have to say that this pain rates right up there with the back. (altho I was on morphine then, so who knows?)
    Drove w/in a week as it was my left foot and working out (w/in reason) in 2wks, pain permitting. Back to swimming now. Will I have it on my right!? Doubtful but we'll see