1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Post fibroma surgery pain

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Steve, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Steve

Steve Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I had a plantar fibroma removed from my foot about 6 weeks ago. Today was my first day back to work as a mail man. I am in a lot of pain and wondering if it is something i need to just work through? or am i doing More damage to the tendon? The out side is Healing ok, the area around it is all hard. My job consists of 8 hours on my feet walking up and down stairs, through lawns, carrying about 20 pounds of weight. I'm just concerned I am creating more scare tissue or tearing the tendon. this is the most pain I have felt since right after the surgery. ty for your time

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS- ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE
    READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.

Plantar fibromata are fibrous masses within the plantar fascia, not a tendon. Hopefully, you were maintained non-weight-bearing until there was complete healing of the incision, as bearing weight during that process can leave you with excessive scar. It is not a particularly good sign that the area around the surgery is hard, as that probably indicates some substantial internal and perhaps external scarring. Unfortunately, statistically there is a very high recurrence of plantar fibromata after surgery, and it may just be that having a job walking as much as you are required to do may not be a viable option for you if you desire complete lack of pain. Consult your own surgeon for his/her judgement as to your results and to give advice as to what you should or should not do.

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hi, my name is josh and I have had 3 surgeries to remove my fibromas.after every one the fibromas had gotten more painful and grew back much bigger.I am also on my feet all day.I don't walk as much as u thankfully,there is noway I could do that.I sometimes wish I could go back in time and never had the first surgery!the last one was an incision from the heal to the ball of my foot and I now have more growing back.I do not know what to do.I feel that I am screwed for ever and I am only 30 yrs old.

4. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS-ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    I generally advise caution in considering surgery for the condition which I believe you are describing (Dupuytren's nodules or plantar fibrobmatosis) because there is a very high incidence of recurrence after surgery and the internal and skin scars from the procedure can be worse than the original condition. I would recommend that you see a plastic surgeon for an evaluation to determine whether anything surgical or non-surgical can be done.

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

thanku for ur reply.can a plastic surgeon remove scar tiss?i know for a fact that the fibromas are back.so what can a plastic surgeon do for me?the pain i have is unbearable and very hard to walk after i get off of work.especially after it has been at rest for more than 20 min.the morning is the worst time for me.i dread taking my first step every morning, but i have to do it.i have 3 kids and a wife to support.i have many years of work ahead of me...i have been goin to a pain clinic.actually i have been to 2 of them.neither one knows what to do for me but to throw pills at the problem.

6. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS-ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    What can be done might depend on whether your problem is now the scar tissue resultant from the surgeries or a recurrence of the initial lesions. Intra-lesional corticosteroids injections are one of the non-surgical approach which have sometimes been beneficial. Complete plantar fasciotomies have been done (not by me) and some have reported successes. In any event, successful resolution of this condition is often unpredictable.

Here is an extensive article on plantar fibromatosis which you might find informative.
    http://www.podiatrytoday.com/article/7488

7. stanggt91

stanggt91 New Member

I want to thank u for the link.and also want to add that I have seen a link to bumps on the knuckle pads.I have them on my right hand.pinky,ring,middle,andnow starting on the index,in that order.why is there a link and what does it mean?I am thinking I have much more than originally diagnosed.thank you for your time.

8. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS- ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    I assume you are speaking of fibrotic nodules of the palmar surface of the hand. It is very common for patients to have this disorder in both hands and feet. In the hand, it frequently presents with a deforming contracture, and that condition is termed "Dupuytren's contracture."

9. stanggt91

stanggt91 New Member

When I read knuckle pads I thought it meant outside of hand.my bumps are on outside of knuckle.not sure if that is the same thing

10. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

The dorsum of the hand, as is the dorsum of the foot are particularly absent of padding. In any event, the condition of which I spoke is on the palmar of the hand.

11. stanggt91

stanggt91 New Member

Good evening footdoc.I am going to the painclinic again tomorrow and I was wondering what I can tell them to do for me,procedure wise.like I said before I have had 3 surgeries already.is there an injection that will actually work more than a day?my doctor seems like she has no knowledge of this disorder I have,nobody I have talked to except the surgeon.I can't go anywhere else either.I have heard this is a good painclinic so I don't want to take anything away from them they just don't get the foot problems enough I guess.thank you for ur time.

12. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

Pain clinics generally deal with management of pain rather than the underlying cause of it. If you are going there with the expectation that you'll need to tell THEM what to do, what's the point? I cannot give you even general advice on a condition of which, from your previous posts, I am uncertain.

13. jery123

jery123 Guest

I am living in Thailand and had surgery to remove a fibroma and they had to push a nerve up into the muscle. I still cannot walk right and my foot stay bruised around the top first three toes. I now have a large bump at the bottom of where the surgery was. Not painful to push on, but i think the way I have to walk now with a limp is causing me more pain. i do not know what to do next. Should I just leave it or go back again and see what they can do?

14. Foot Doc

Foot Doc Guest

Having no knowledge of where the fibroma was located, what you are relating about the nerve and the quality of care which might be expected in Thailand, it would be foolish for anyone to offer you the advice you request and even more foolish for you to take it were anyone foolish to offer it.

FOOT DOC

Last edited: May 23, 2010
  15. jmoore2141

jmoore2141 New Member

I'm a 35 yo male with dual fibromas. I also have Morton's toe on each foot which I now understand has a direct correlation to this condition. I'm not a doctor but it seems self explanatory that, the shortened "large" toe is unable to support normal posture and as the arch collapses into 'flat foot', fibroma(s) may result from the stretching. My fibroma's have persisted for over 14 years. They hurt briefly when I first wake, but most importantly hurt at the end of the day when my feet are relaxing as I'm trying to as well. I examined every option short of surgery including stretching, massaging (I had done these instinctively out of pain anyways). The most beneficial treatment was to correct the way that I walk. In my case, Orthotics made things worse but, I did find benefit in wearing minimalist shoes and pronating my "full" leg inward while keeping my feet facing forward and generally parallel. This actually produced a natural arch which was not possible with the John Wayne style walk I grew up with. Walking correctly got me to the point that I was no longer standing on the fibromas and they only hurt at the end of the day. As this continued for several years, I became convinced that the fibromas were not going to disappear with any holistics approach (I also began eating entirely vegan with the exception of seafood several years back and saw no change based on diet). I read many articles where some doctors claimed they could salvage the fascia and others insisted it should be removed entirely. In all cases they seemed non-commital as to whether it would be saved during the actual procedure. I watched many video's involving the specific surgery and in each case the removal was 'aggressive'. Having once been flat-footed and now having an arch, I didn't want to give up my fascia. I tend to heal extemely quickly and am capable of giving myself stitches. With this knowledge, I self-excised only the portion that hurt on a daily basis, sanatised and sewed it up. It healed and hurts far less than it did prior. My recovery time was almost non-existant because the cut was not in a location making contact with the ground. The other foot does not hurt enough to justify anything at this time. I'm not suggesting anyone do the same but would urge those who experience severe pain to find some form of solution.

16. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hello, I had a fibroma removed 5 wks ago. I have been totally non weight bearing and was told around 5-6 wks I can begin to walk on the foot. I have followed everything to the letter. The area around the incision is hard and when I try to actually walk on the foot, I get a pain like someone is stabbing a knife into the middle of my arch. I also have pins and needles along the edge of my heel and the ball of my foot. My middle toes still feel stiff.
    I'm hoping this is something that needs to be worked out and wonder if a massage therapist would be a good person to see to work on the scar and release some tightness.
    Lisa

17. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I do hope that if I ever have foot surgery and had been told by my surgeon that I should be able to begin walking on the foot in 5 or 6 week, had followed his directions to the letter and yet I had pains like someone was stabbing a knife somewhere into the middle of my arch and other lesser problems, I would have the common sense be hashing this out directly with my doctor, or if that did no good, getting another professional opinion in stead of wasting time on a site such as this trying to get answers from God knows who.

18. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Gee...thank you so much for your VALUED OPINION and your experience in this matter....big jerk!

19. Mis

Mis Guest

20. Mis

Mis Guest

My chiropractor recommended scar massage therapy at eight weeks.