1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Skin question

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    JUst a couple wierd curiosity questions, nothing to do with needing a diagnosis or anything... I know that being non-weight bearing atrophy's your muscles, leg/foot gets smaller, and all that stuff. I've always heard or thought that using muscles keeps the blood flowing. I've been non-weight bearing for six weeks because of a foot injury. (I understand my injury and all that) I've had the cast off for two. Is it a decrease in blood flow from lack of use that is still causing my skin to feel kind of "paper-y" (for lack of a better term). I used quite a bit of moisturizer to get it to stop peeling when the cast came off. Also, I noticed something else that sounds totally off the wall. The toe nails on my injured foot have not been growing as fast as on my good foot. Being non-weight bearing has given me waaaaay too much time on hands apparently if I'm thinking of this stuff. I don't see my doctor until next Monday and like I said, i was just curious.

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS- ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    Although CHRONIC lack of circulation certainly can cause thin, shiny and atrophic skin of the extremities, if I had to guess . . and that's all I can do in your case, as I have nothing else to go on . . . your situation is more likely one where the dead outer layer of skin cells is not being sufficiently sloughed off, as is normal by friction between clothing and the skin during activity. There is normally continual production of new skin cell at the deepest layer, and then the skin cells mature and migrate upward, eventually becoming dead epidermal cells which slough off by friction. This is even more evident when first taking notice of one's skin after intitial removal of a cast on a body part in which that part has been encased for several weeks. I don't know that you can really judge the rate of growth of your toenails, as even normal growth rates are often inconsistent and irregular. Finally, I agree that being inactive allows for greater notice of mundane minutia which may have been going on all the time and were going basically unnoticed because you had more productive things to do. If you have more than curiosity, and really suspect a problem, I would recommend that you consult a dermatologist.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2008
  3. I don't know that you can really judge the rate of growth of your toenails, as even normal growth rates are often inconsistent and irregular.

Wha-wha-what? Is this diet and/or general health related? I've never heard this before. Thanks

4. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

You may never have heard of this before, but there are many situations, conditions and diseases, both systemic and local which can affect the growth rate of both toe and finger nails as well as other epidermal structures.