1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Typical healing time for 1st metatarsal fracture

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Jun 27, 2010.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I am wondering if someone could give me some idea of healing time for an avulsion fracture of 1st metatarsal (@ head)? I fractured my 1st metatarsal on 5-18-10 and have been in a cam walker since that time. Going to foot doc on Thursday 7-1-10 for 2nd follow up visit, and just want to brace myself if it's possible I'll be told to keep with cam walker. At 3 wk follow-up visit, fracture was healing but not yet healed. I have not even tried to bear any weight on my foot, and will not until cleared by doc. Don't want to do ANYTHING to re-injure or prolong treatment.

Any ideas on where to find info on long-term impact of such a fracture? I'm hoping it will not become a lingering issue.

Thanks for any thoughts you might have.

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS-ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    In multiple decades of treating as sorts of foot and ankle trauma I can't say that I have ever seen nor can I imagine an avulsion fracture at the head of the first metatarsal. An avulsion fracture occurs where there is trauma which instead of tearing the ligament or tendon, instead takes off a chunk of bone at the point of insertion of that ligament or tendon. I don't know how that could occur at that location.

A well stabilized and immobilized fracture of a first metatarsal in a health individual which does not result in complications should heal in 6 weeks or so, give or take a couple of weeks. A well healed non-deviated fracture should present no long-term issues, but whatever collateral damage took place at the time of the fracture to soft tissues such as tendons, ligaments and nerves might present long-term issues. I don't see any particular good which can be derived from the conjecture of those who have not attended you. I would think that you would have asked your own doctor as to the expected time of healing on your very first visit with him/her.

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Dear Foot Doc:
    Thank you for the first part of your response. As to the closing remarks, I don't see any particular good for a physician to post such pernicious commentary regarding a theoretical question posted to an online message board. If participating in such a forum causes you such angst, perhaps you should find something else to fill your spare time.

4. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

Dear Ingrate:
    Oh . . excuse ME for expressing wonderment why a person who is already paying a doctor for care and proper attention would find it either appropriate or necessary to come to a forum to ask basic questions which he/she should have asked that doctor at the time of his/her initial visit or at least have the good sense to call that doctor for additional information so as to be assured that the information received would be specific to his/her case. Excuse me for considering that a patient has at least some minimal responsibility in participating in his/her own care. Excuse me for considering that an important part of my participation here is educating questioners in how to become better patients and better advocates for themselves. And shame on YOU for after acknowledging that you actually received helpful, prompt and FREE information from me, found it necessary to demonstrate that you don't have the good sense to then refrain from showing disdain for the person who was willing to take his time to help you because he suggested that you had not and were not acting in your best interest.

You're the kind of person who would thank a person for handing him a hundred dollar bill and then complain that the bill was wrinkled and unclean. In the future, go pay for your information . . Oh . . wait a minute . . You're ALREADY doing that . . Well . . . Never mind.

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

"Ask your questions here" forum visitors/posters

To posters on "Ask your questions here" forum:

Select one post by Foot Doc, then click on user name, and then choose to review all postings by this person. What you will find is an endless trail of virtual tongue lashings indicative of someone on the verge of a psychotic breakdown. Foot Doc has gone off the reservation.

I, for one, cannot believe the forum moderator allows for such belligerent rants over and over again.

6. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I totally agree with you...this "Foot Doc" is an a-hole of epic proportions. Most of his advice is along the lines of "why on earth are you on here asking questions?? Go to your doctor!". I wish to ask him a similar question: Why on earth are you here on this forum if you have no intention to offer advice that people are seeking?

7. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

8. Shocked

Shocked Guest

9. Shocked

Shocked Guest