1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Strange numb/crawly/tingly/burny sensations in feet

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Darlene, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Darlene

Darlene Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi there,

Something's been bugging me for a long time now, and it's my feet. I'm going to see a doctor in a week, but I'd just like to get some advice on what to ask when I get there. And I'm hoping maybe somebody can help me with mysterious symptoms.

See, last summer, I worked at a camp as a baker. I was on my feet all day everyday. Big boots that didn't fit properly. They put pressure on a nerve (I know because of an electric shock feeling that went up to my toe) in the ball of my foot beneath my big toe on both feet, causing a long-lasting numb sensation on my left foot, large toe, upper and rightish side, that has slowly gotten better over the past year, but I can't be sure, because it's such a minor sensation that it's difficult to pinpoint.

I try to compare between feet, but the other foot was "damaged" as well I would imagine, although no numb sensation, as I got good shoes.

I was tested for diabetes and had a full-checkup in August of last year, tested for MS and crap, because I was paranoid. But, I'm completely healthy.

So, after Christmastime, I suddenly began getting numb sensations when I was at rest on my left foot, working at the computer. Numbing/crawly/strange sensations between the toes and the ball of the foot beneath the toes. They last for up to 5 minutes at most. When I press on where I'm getting the sensations, they seem to dissipate, until I relieve pressure and they return. Sometimes they are on the right as well, but not as prominent. Sometimes the left on its own, sometimes the right, sometimes both.

I've had sharp tingling, numb feelings in the same area too while being active. It seems very random. But, these symptoms seem to have worsened since I have been on my feet more for work.

I'm wondering if it's an ankle thing, a nerve problem as well... I don't know. I've searched the internet for months to figure this out, and it's really scaring me. I have a gut feeling that it's my feet/ankles, and doesn't have anything to do with diabetes or anything.. I don't have any of the other symptoms of diabetes, although I DO have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, and 10 % of PCOS women get diabetes. But, there is absolutely NO diabetes in my family. None. But, I'm still freaked out about diabetes anyway, I really don't want that, of course.

I have been exercising more, doing lots of jogging and running, and I wonder if maybe I have been exacerbating the problem. I'm 200 pounds now (And 5'9" 1/2, so my BMI isn't TOO Bad), have been slowly (and healthily) losing weight.

I did twist my foot a couple of years ago pretty badly, it was swollen and purple, but it seemed to get better after a few days, and it's the other foot that's worse with the strange sensations. The foot which also had the numb tip of the big toe.

Oh.. And I also just found out that I have an ingrown toenail in my left foot. Which probably needs to be removed when I see the doctor. :D

I know that's a lot of information to take in, I'm just trying to put down everything I can think of with my feet. I don't know if any of this is related, I'm just concerned.. Oh, and I have had a tendency of propping my feet up, sitting on my right foot (which is the foot that doesn't have as much problems, though I did twist it a couple of years ago, as aforementioned)

I know it all seems vague, but maybe somebody has some idea ? Maybe someone even had similar experience? Though.. I doubt it.. :D HELP!

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

Have you been worked up by a neurologist yet?

3. Darlene

Darlene Guest

Dear FootDoc,

No, I have not seen a neurologist for these issues. My doctor claimed that the sensation at the tip of my toe would heal, that nerves can take months up to a year to heal, and all I could do is buy the best footwear possible, so I did. And he promised it'd get better, too! :) And then I started getting these odd sensations. I have seen a neurologist before, though! When I was 10, for my migraines. I'm 23 now though... If I must see a neurologist, I'm thinking that this is serious? I don't suppose that, being a podiatrist, you have heard anything like this problem with your patients?

Thank you again,

Darlene

4. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

Actually, I see patients complaining of nerve problems all the time. But the diagnosis of nerve problems of non-obvious cause is frequently best left to one who specializes in that area of medicine.

5. Darlene

Darlene Guest

Ah, that makes sense. Thank you again, very much for your time.