1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Permanent toenail removal

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I had my toenail removed with the acid that kills the cells to regrow the nail yrs ago when i was a kid due to an ingrown toenail. I hate the way it looks some of the nail still grows but its very small and brittle. I was wondering if they have any new technology to regrown the nail back by any kind of cell treatment or any other way. It looks horrible and im so embarressed i don't wear sandles :(

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS- ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    You do not clearly indicate whether the initial purpose was to remove the entire nail or just the ingrown portion, but even after attempts to remove an entire nail, it is not uncommon for a partial regrowth, usually of less than normal-appearing nail to take place. As far as I am aware, other than possibly a revisionary procedure, which, in my view would not be the way to go, there is nothing even in the offing which might be employed to regrow normal nail. But an attempt at a permanent removal of the existing nail plate could be done, though with similar possibly of incomplete or less than totally successful results. Having no nail at all, is often preferable for most patients than a deformed and/or troublesome one.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2009