1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Foot Discoloration

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by FootConcern, Sep 30, 2008.

1. FootConcern

FootConcern Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I woke up this morning and got into the shower to look down and see what appeared to be a rather large bruise right on top of my right foot, almost going up the arch to my ankle.
    I would have thought nothing of it, if when i touched it, it felt sore, but quite the opposite is the case. It isn't sore anywhere around the bruise, with the exception of what would be the very center, which is white, and the rest of the bruise is reddish purple. It spans the entire width of my foot and is goes from my ankle area to near my toes. Only on the top, nothing on the bottom.
    It is not swollen, and I just walked home from work, which is about a mile distance, and had no trouble, in fact I did it in flip flops.
    The reason I got concerned is when reading up on what it could be online, I found a lot of reference to blood clots.
    I am 28 years old, and a smoker of 10 years.
    I am overweight, but have no history of anything like this. I havent had any type of recent surgery or anything else.

Should I be concerned? Give it a few days and see what happens? Or go to the doc?

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

All I can tell you is that if a patient whom I had never seen called me with that same information and question, I would not feel comfortable giving an answer on which he/she might rely other than advising that he/she come in and let me look at it. I never want to make a decision on the need for care based on the often sketchy information of a patient who will often leave out the most salient of features.

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

The only reason Ive hesitated in going to see the doctor, is my lack of health insurance. However if you think its serious enough to do so, I will most likely give it a couple days and see if it goes away on its own, and if not, venture to the doctors I suppose. I thank you for your reply, and I will take your advice if needed. Honestly though I hope it just goes away :)

4. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS- ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    I really didn't say that I necessarily think it's serious enough. What I tried to express to you is that neither I nor anyone else, without knowing you, your physical status, your medical history and the real particulars of your present situation can offer you an opinion on which you can rely as to whether or not you need to have professional assessment and/or medical care. That's quite different from your seeming assertion that I do think that you do. When in doubt, especially as you have expressed concerns about blood clots, its seems wiser to me to follow the course which is more likely to address your concerns and give you peace of mind. Better safe than sorry!

As far as medical insurance is concerns, I really get tired of folks who choose to deny themselves medical care because they do not wish to spend the relatively small sum of money it might take for diagnosis of an issues which can potentially cost them far greater expenditures, not to speak of health risks in the future if such problems are not caught in their early, and generally more easily effectively treated stages. I will remind you, as I have so many others, that you likley willingly opt to pay for far more frivolous things, though they too are not covered by insurance. We are not talking of huge monetary outlays for a look-see by a doctor. It is NOT a waste of money to have peace of mind and to find that you do not have a serious problem any more than it is to be vaccinated against a disease that you would not have gotten anyhow, or to pay for homeowners fire insurance or automobile insurance if you never have either a house fire or an auto accident.

In the end, what you choose to do is up to you, but don't ask my blessings for it.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2008
  5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

FootDoc: Browsing the web, ran across your above reply...
    While what you say about timely diagnosis and treatment is certainly correct, I'd guess you're making some secure middle-class assumptions, as well, like, f'rinstance:
    "...relatively small amount of money...": without knowing income (if any) and basic needs expenditures (shelter, sustaining diet etc), isn't that a bit presumptuous??
    "...not a huge outlay of money for a look-see..." without a dollar amount that you would charge (assuming you're in practice) for such a "look-see", and a guesstimate as to the cost of the tests (if any) you'd ordinarily wish to have in such a case, how can you say it wouldn't be a "huge outlay" in relation to what the individual has or has access to??
    "...more frivolous expenses..." granted, here the odds are in your favor; however, for this individual, that comment may be unwarranted...
    For those fortunate enough to have nice comfortable 5 figure or larger incomes, you're 100% correct; unfortunately, every day now there are more and more just hanging on by their fingernails, and a Dr bill eats into basic food, shelter, etc.

6. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

FootDoc: Thank you, thank you for the most entertaining fun I've had in weeks...
    I made the above post after just reviewing the one thread (presumptuous on my part); then, out of curiosity, reviewed others...
    Doc, I have no doubt you are AA professionally, and I agree you're 100% correct in your reluctance to shoot from the hip (and, yes, I'm aware you don't need unqualified peasants commenting on your professional expertise), but you do seem to be laboring under a certain lack of tact (bedside manner, we called it, in the old days)...
    I'll assume it's not an unconscious need to belittle and diminish others, simply the wish to "tell it like it is" without unnecessary sugar-coating or euphemisms...
    I've got to note this site; after following the economic meltdown, I need something to go to to lighten my mood...
    Please, please keep up the hilarious work.

7. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

Yes, you are entirely correct . . It is the wish to "tell it like it is" without unnecessary sugar-coating or euphemisms. The advice is free. Sugar-coating costs BIG TIME! Thems what wants BOTH need to be prepared to pay. I take all major credit cards. I commend you for your insight.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2009
  8. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

i have discoloration on my right foot as well. i have been ignoring it for .. i dunno, a couple of years already, i guess.

anyway, the part where the discoloration is never hurt, no itching, no burning pain whatsover.

9. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

my mother had foot surgery two weeks ago and and had her stitches removed earlier this week. however i just noticed to day that her foot is extremely swollen and is starting to turn black...does anybody know why this is happening

10. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS-ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    If you mother's foot is actually turning black, it could well be a time-sensitive emergency which should be IMMEDIATELY evaluated and addressed by her doctor or any qualified doctor in an ER or elsewhere if he/she is not immediately available.

11. laila121

laila121 Guest

Hi There I have a slight problem with my feet,In the past I have used corn removal plaster which was acid based i feel I must of left it too long and now have left my toes discolored, suggestion? how can i get rid of it?

Thank you

12. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS-ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    It is very possible that you have damaged your skin with the acid chemical, possibly permanently, and only time will tell if discoloration will improve, remain the same or get worse. It is probably unlikely that any treatment will alter this prospect.

13. jafrance

jafrance New Member

Sorry for hitting such an old thread, but this seemed like a reliable community to get some ideas from.

A couple of months ago I noticed a discoloration on the top of my left foot. At first I thought it was a mystery bruise or dress sock fuzz. Upon closer inspection I realized that it was spotty and not a solid patch.

Fast forward to tonight and due to no itching or other discomfort, I noticed it again for the first time since the first time and then realized that it has been spreading.

I have attached a picture for review. This is of the affected area after having been freshly bathed (it really isn't crud!)

Any ideas or other insight (constructive) is greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

• foot.jpg
      foot.jpg
      File size:
      97.3 KB
      Views:
  14. dillydinker

dillydinker Guest

Hi, I started with foot pain on top of the arch about a year ago.. It was diagnosed as arthritus without a mri. It has not abated in the pain but my foot has started to look like yours in the picture. I too would like an "educated guess" as to the root of the discoloration.

15. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I have similar spots, on the top of my foot also. Furthermore the skin on top of my foot is now sensitive to touch. 3 yrs later and I now have the tingle of numbness but still can feel. As well as the occasional sharp shooting pain. Back then I was told it was poor circulation and the spots were caused from poor blood flow....viatmin B3 is what I was directed too....now I just had 9 xrays looking for a pinched nerve, and 7 vials of blood for testing on everything from diabetes to high cholesterol causing poor blood flow....LOL. Crazy. And mine started off just like yours a few little freckles on the top of my foot. Ill let you know where it goes when its all done.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015