1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

PLEASE HELP! Treatment options for excessive supination?

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by cjfh, Jun 24, 2013.

1. cjfh

cjfh New Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hello. I've posted a couple different messages here and never got a reply. Perhaps my inquiries were over-complicated. I'll just try to keep it as simple as possible this time.

My wife has a problem with excessive supination. Because her legs are misaligned, her ankles role outward, putting all the pressure on the outsides of her feet. Her arches appear to be particularly high and seem like if they were lower, they'd help take some of the pressure off the outsides of her feet. Because all of the pressure is on the outsides of her feet, she's developed painfully-calloused tailor's bunions on the outer edges of her feet near her smallest toes. To make matters worse, her toes curve inwards and her two outside toes overlap one another slightly (metatarsus adductus). This unusual shape makes it very difficult to find shoes that fit her.

Obviously, she needs to see a podiatrist for her feet and an orthopedic doctor for the leg problems causing the supination. My question here is, what are her treatment options for this condition based solely on dealing with her feet? From what I've read so far about supination, the options are:

custom orthotic insoles to balance the feet
    braces to keep the ankles from rolling outward
    custom orthopedic shoes
    surgery

I've read lots of conflicting info. Some people say insoles will help and others say they can actually worsen supination. I haven't been able to find out much info on the use of braces or specific orthopedic shoes for supination. Has anyone with a problem similar to this found relief with any of these options? Can a professional please help explain what the best options for her would probably be?

Here's a picture, if that helps:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
  2. robertharris750

robertharris750 New Member

As the problem is of over supination, You should go for Surgery and orthopedics treatment followed by the use of orthotics and braces. Having X-rays and scans will help doctors in finding the cause as well as it will be permanent solution.

The Image is not available/visible, It will be good if you try to provide another one.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2013
  3. cjfh

cjfh New Member

Hi. Thanks for the reply. It seems that her legs are the root of her problem. She walks on the outsides of her feet in order to keep her knees from pointing inward due to her inward rotated thigh bones (femoral anteversion). Yes, getting x-rays and a complete evaluation seems to be in order.

The picture I posted works when I load it. Can you try it again? Thanks!