1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

haglunds deformity

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by runner75, Sep 2, 2010.

1. runner75

runner75 New Member

2. runner75

runner75 New Member

Anyone????

3. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS-ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    The area which seem on the photo to be a bump is the typical location of a Haglund's deformity bump. Pain in Haglund's is caused by the counter of the shoe rubbing on the bump. It appears by the redness along the course of the distal Achilles tendon as well as the area which is typical of a Haglund's bump that there may be irritation or inflammation in those areas.

4. runner75

runner75 New Member

Thanks for the reply foot doctor.

I don't have any pain on the pump when touching/pressing or running. I do have a sore achilles about 2/3 inches above where the tendon attaches to the bone. The other foot looks the same, although maybe not as big. Could this just be the normal shape of my foot? one thing i do notice is when i point foot up towards the knee the redness go's white - not sure that means anything.

Will this need Surgery to put right? I friend did say it looked like a Callous.

5. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS-ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    A Haglund's bump is generally the result of a pronounced beaking of the posterior superior aspect of the calcaneous, often compounded by a less than normal or reverse angulation of the posterior surface. But in the absence of pain when the bump is contacted by the counter of the shoe, it would not generally be considered a symptomatic Haglund's deformity. There are other conditions which might produce pain proximal to the insertion of the Achilles tendon, including but not limited to a retro-calcaneal bursa and tendonitis. Flexing your foot at the ankle toward your knee places tension on the Achilles tendon and also might cause a blanching of the skin due to its stretching. If there is callousing of the skin, it is reasonable indication that it is being intermittently rubbed.

Responsible treatment recommendations require an actual diagnosis which I cannot make based on only a picture and your comments. See a podiatrist.

6. Smpls_sue

Smpls_sue Guest

I am a 50 yr old female and had Haglund's surgery nearly 9 weeks ago... 2" medial incision, no Achilles tendon detachment, but debridement of the tendon, which was 25% detached from the bone. I have been weight-bearing as tolerated from the start... first 2 weeks in a cast, then 2 weeks in a walking boot. (I also had my stretched lateral ankle ligaments repaired at the same time... Separate incision.) I have been able to bicycle quite a bit (900+ miles in the past 7 weeks), but I still have quite a bit of pain walking and have to limp because of the pain.When I saw the surgeon after 6 weeks, he said that I should be able to walk normally after 12 weeks... but I am not noticing much improvement. Have other people experienced substantial pain while walking at 8 weeks post surgery when the achilles was not detached?

7. bSUE

bSUE Guest

I had surgery for Haglands 12/12/16, heel spur removal, and tendon shortened 1 1/5 inches and reattached. I had hardly any pain after wearing boot from day one of surgery for 2 wks, then onto a ortho shoe for 4 wks and then 11 pt sessions for range of motion. Now, after about 15 wks it is swelling and hurting again on the anterior right below my ankle bone where the original pain was so bad. I don't get it. Why isn't it better by this point? My Dr. has released me already.