1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

lapidus fusion, hammer toe and tailor's bunion surgery

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by lisafran, Jul 15, 2009.

1. lisafran

lisafran New Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi!

This is such an informative forum. I was hoping that I could find someone who has had a lapidus fusion, bunionectomy, hammer toe (four toes), and tailor's bunion surgery. I am planning my first foot in November, and I will then have to have the same surgery again in six months. My POD did a wonderful job in explaining the recovery period which is 8 weeks in a cast and then another 8 with a boot. However, I was hoping to find someone who has had this surgery to explain what their experiences were like.

Any stories and tips, would be greatly appreciated!

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

I do them, but have never had them. I can tell you that even given identical procedures by the same surgeon, result and how well they are tolerated varies so greatly among patients that the few if any response you might get to your post are unlikely to represent what you will experience. More often than not, responders to questions such as this will have had experience on both extremes of the bell curve, with generally the more unhappier ones someone more eager to tell their stories. In addition, the often defining aspect as to what you will experience is determined by the skill and experience of the individual surgeon. So first, the most important thing is to chose the best surgeon available on the basis of medical, not personality criteria, and then if he/she has gained your trust sufficiently to allow that doctor to come at you with a knife, then obtain your preview from the doctor who knows and has assessed you, your tolerance and your needs. Solicitation of stories at random will likely set you up for unreasonable expectations on both ends of the spectrum.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2009
  3. lisafran

lisafran New Member

You bring up a very valid point. Thank you for the feedback.