1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Being treated for pain via flat feet, but concerned...

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I'm pretty sure there's no real problem here, and that I'm just being dramatic, but I'd like some reassurance, if nothing else.

Just let me clear up a couple of things - I'm 20 years old, and I don't have any other foot complications, other than flat feet (I even had x-rays done, so everything is in order). I'm not exactly athletic, but I'm far from running out of breath from running up the stairs. Also, when I say "pain", I really mean more of an unnatural pressure - like my feet are being forced forward by my ankle (which of course causes pain).

Now, a little unimportant history:

About a year ago, I first noticed I walked very strangely - in a hugely wide arc, sort of looked like a duck, frankly.There were a couple of tell tale signs through the years (my right foot was positioned oddly when I sat down, or put my legs up on something, etc), and it caused me some rather annoying problems, but I didn't think much of it.

About a couple months ago, I decided to try and fix how I walked - of course, it didn't work, and even after I stopped, I now had ankle pain on some days when I tried to walk. About a month went by (Some annoying insurance complications prevented me from seeing a doctor), before I finally saw a podiatrist. He immediately identified that my feet were incredibly flat (My normal doctor commented something along the lines "Wow. There's no arch at all."), and set me up to get molded for orthodics. In the meantime, he gave me some arch supports.

At first, I was amazed - they worked incredibly well. I was nearly walking straight, I walked faster, and there was no pain at all, and I expected the orthodic to work even better.

Unfortunately, when I took them off, I noticed there was more ankle pain than ever when I tried to walk. It's been two days since I got them, and now I'm starting to get a slight bit of pain walking even when they're on (although, that could only be because I sleep with them off and usually don't put them on for about an hour after I wake up).

Now, the doctor told me to use them conservatively at first, not to wear them all day - advice I really only heeded the first day, since having them off just felt bad.

So, that's basically the story up to now. I'm having a little pain no matter what I do, I'm not sure how often to wear the arch support, whether I should try to be active or avoid it, or really anything...I'm sure it's just part of the adjustment process, but my problems are kind of unnerving. If anyone could offer any insight into this, I would appreciate it a lot.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS- ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    It is my general advice to my patients that they wear orthotics to only their tolerance until they become acclimated to them. But you are asking questions, the answers to which are entirely dependent on a through knowledge of your situation which can only be achieved by a hands-on examination and assessment. I can't say whether or not I would have employed the same therapy as that which you are now receiving or something different, so to opine on how you might handle the treatment which you have gotten or what you might expect of it is beyond the capability of someone familiar with you only through your post. If you cannot have your questions regarding the specifics of your treatment adequately address by your own prescribing doctor, then you probably should consider switching doctors. As I frequent have need to point out, forums such as this are not appropriate venues for commenting on specific situations which, or course, require more than a cursory knowledge of the case.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2008