1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

cracked, splitting, hard, dry heels

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Jun 28, 2008.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I am a 36 year old female, Type I diabetic on an insulin pump, and in good control of my disease. I get pedicures once a month, but my heels are in desperate need of something more. They are very hard, with cracks and splitting all over them. I have made several home remedies, used a pumice stone, and a pedicure scraper, but I can't seem to soften them. At night I rub a deep conditioning lotion into them, put on socks and sleep with them until the lotion is absorbed. All of this works for a day, but nothing lasts longer.

It's summertime, so I'm constantly in flip flops, and the only time I wear socks and tennis shoes is to exercise. Could this be the problem?

Any advice?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
    K

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS- ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    There are several common factors which predispose folks to dry, fissured skin of the heels
    1. being overweight
    2. excessive sweating
    3. aqueous foot soaks
    4. the wearing of open-back shoes . . . especially flip-flops

But of particular concern in your case is the fact that you are an insulin dependent diabetic, possible a juvenile type which can easily spin out of control. Especially troublesome is the fissuring of the skin which leaves the foot open to possible infection, which, in a diabetic can be a life and limb threatening event, especially if your circulation has been compromised by your disease.

For those in your situation, I would strongly advise that all foot care, even of a cosmetic variety, be performed only by a podiatrist or other qualified health professional and not a pedicurist. Also, I would strongly advise that you perform no treatment on your own without the direct oversight of a qualified professional who can monitor you and look for early warning signs of problems.

Accordingly, without my knowing the precise status of your diabetes and having first hand knowledge of your skin problem, it would be irresponsible of me to offer you treatment advice on which you might act. Instead, see a good podiatrist or dermatologist. The best I can otherwise offer to you is to avoid the use of open-backed shoes and especially not wear flip-flops, and if you are the habit of soaking your feet for the softening of the skin, you are achieving just the opposite and soaks for such reasons are generally to be avoided. Use no instrument, devices, sanders or other mechanical devices without having professional approval and instructions as to how to do so.

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

4. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

==================================

Please understand that, although it might have been very tempting to have offered you self-care advice such as appears in the article which the Admin has placed on this site in another forum, in your case, as a Type I diabetic, your foot problem, which may seem rather mundane and innocuous in most others who are, unlike you, uncomplicated by illness, presents such potentially dangerous issues to you that to offer and to have you possibly follow such instructions and not first avail yourself of a professionally trained eye who might detect early signs of impending disaster and act on it in a timely manner, would be a great disservice to you and to others of your situation who might read this forum. It's always easy to offer shoot-from-the-hip advice, and perhaps seems rather brilliant when correct, but which can lead to disaster when it is not. Medicine is not a do-it-yourself project, especially for those already complicated by other health issues.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2008