1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Screw removal

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I am 14 weeks post flat foot reconstruction. So far, my recovery is uncomplicated. I am full weight bearing in a boot, soon to transfer to a shoe. I do not appear to have any problems from the screws for the calcaneal or cotton osteotomy and there is no plan to remove them. If they give me problems, the doctor would not remove them for a least 5 months. I have been following my post op instructions and so far am very happy with the surgeons willingness to answer questions as they arise. He responds to emails the same day. A coworker had the same combination of proceedures that I had. She went to a different doctor and is 9 weeks post op. When the cast was removed last week, her doctor automatically removed the screws and then put her in a boot partial weight bearing. I was really suprised that the screws were removed so soon and when they were not causing any problems. I know that at 8 weeks, my calcaneal osteotomy was healing nicely but not completely healed. Can't removing the screws early create problems? Is there any reason to remove screws automatically even if they are not causing any problems? I was just curious what your opinion about screw removal is.

2. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I have a friend who had a calcaneal osteotomy 3 year ago (I think thats the right name, that where they cut and shift the heel bone right). I know he had the screws removed at about that time as well because I took him to the appointment. I remember watching them use a drill. I think I was sweating more than he was!!! It didn't seem very painful, we'll he said it hurt, but I guess in my mind, it would be horrific and expected that they would give him a shot to freeze it or something first but they didn't. I was glad I was sitting down. He took it very well. He had told me that they were sticking out of his foot but I never actually saw them until I watched them take his cast off! It was crazy! But 3 years later, he's long been back to normal and playing soccer for the past 2 years so i guess whatever they fixed it worked. I'm not sure if you and he had the exact smae type of surgery or perhaps the reasons for the surgery were different.

3. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

If they are employed for fixation of an osteotomy site . . generally NO

4. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Thank you for your reply

Could removing the calcaneal osteotomy screws at 9 weeks result in a less than desirable surgical outcome?

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Why don't you ask your co-worker why their Dr did that? They are likely better to tell you what their Doc said than someone on here.
    Are you questioning their Doc procedure or why your Doc didn't do the same?

6. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I am not questioning my doctor at all. Prior to deciding to have the surgery, I obtained 3 opinions. The doctor I used is well vetted. In fact, he was highly reccomended by another foot and ankle surgeon. I am confident in my surgeon. I also researched the proceedures that I would be having by reading several peer reviewed articles in mainstream professional journals. My doctor is widely published and has conducted numerous clinical studies pretaining to flat foot reconstruction.

I did ask my coworker why the screw was removed. She said that the doctor leaves the heads protruding to make "removal" easier. He routinely takes the screws out because so many of his patients have had to have the screws removed in the past. I hope for her sake, things will turn out ok. I was just suprised that a doctor would leave screws protruding and then remove them so early in the healing process.

7. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

roxy. I'd spend my time concerned about my own recovery rather than questionning what someone else had done and why.