1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Should I have severe swelling 5 days after torn ligaments in ankle?

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by tizzie, Jun 21, 2010.

1. tizzie

tizzie New Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Last tuesday I went to the E.R. after having significant pain and swelling in my left ankle. I was unable to walk on it or even limp. At the ER they took x-rays to make sure I didn't re-break a previous injury (broke the 5th martesal 5 years ago) or have a new break. They told me I had torn the two ligaments (lateral I believe) by my ankle and put me in an ace bandage and air cast. They instructed me to leave it on for 5 days while using crutches to walk. My question is, should I expect increased swelling this long after the original injury? My foot is literally twice the size of my right foot (ace bandage and cast are not too tight) and is tingling. The swelling has not gone down at all in 3 days of resting it occasionally and unwrapping it to ice it. And occasionally I still feel sharp pains by my ankle and a burning sensation on the outside of my foot. I would go see a doctor but unfortunately I lost my job and am on public aid and unable to find an orthopedic that will accept my insurance. Should I be concerned about all the swelling? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!!

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

E.R.'s are for EMERGENCY care, not definitive care which requires followup. Whether or not the sort of swelling you are now experiencing is par for the course, torn ankle ligaments can be a serious injury which requires more than an initial look-see and 5 days of crutches, and in my opinion you would do well to find the money, just as you probably continue to do for other important needs in your life, and have real care for this problem, lest you might wind up with up with chronic disability.