1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Calcaneal Osteotomy

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Oct 1, 2010.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I had a calcaneal osteotomy and PTT repair in July. After 9 weeks in a cast, I had the screws removed last week and am now beginning partial weight bearing in an aircast for a few weeks.

My question is just out of curiousity since I haven't spoken to other surgeons other than my own, (who is great), is about the screw. Do you do this procedure and if so, do you leave the screws protruding from the heel? Mine were left sticking out and I had 2 screws. My surgeon explained he used to have them internal but he found so many patients later reported they were bothering them (maybe years later) and needed them removed so he returned to doing them this way. I had them removed with a regular power drill and it was fascinating to watch. I actually have them as souvenirs.

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

Sounds totally screw-y to ME.

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

So are you indicating that you do not do calcaneal osteotomies or you do and have never heard of leaving the screws protruding and removing them. If you do them and leave the screws internal, what is your experience in patients needing the screws removed at a later date for various reason.

4. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

I am indicating that I would not leave screws for fixating an osteotomy protruding out of the foot.

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I recently had a flat foot reconstruction. One of the proceedures was a calcaneal osteotomy. My doctor considers a protruding screw an emergency as it can serve as a vehicle for infection!

6. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Well fortunately for me it all turned out just fine. I would imagine it could be concerning if they werent intended to be exposed and became exposed. They were banadaged and wrapped and in casts so there was limited exposure to anything. My screws are gone and the holes have healed and I have no future concerns about the screws causing any problem and needing to be removed.

Thanks everyone.

7. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Just because it turned out good for you doesn't mean it was a smart thing to do. I think you were put at risk for your doctor's and maybe your convenience.

8. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Thanks for your opinion.

9. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I am freaking out after reading all of these
    Post opt recoveries. I am having my left
    Foot tendon repaired as it is split and my
    Husband and I consulted with the doctor
    And I'm scheduled for surgery July 3rd.
    I was just reading my the paper he gave
    Me for the procedure and it says I'm having
    This surgery on my ankle as well. He
    Never once mentioned anything to me
    About cutting bone and screws. I think I will
    Postpone and further investigate.

10. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Does anyone know if a perneal split tendon
    Can heal on its on? I am really really
    Scared to have this surgery. My doctor
    Told me if I don't. I could end up having
    To have a cadavers tendon. I'm scared
    To death!

11. AussiePod

AussiePod New Member

Hi,

sounds like you need to talk with your surgeon.

If you are unsure about anything regarding your surgery, then your physician needs to explain it in a way that you understand.

Don't make judgements regarding your condition based on information you see posted here about other people. The conditions may sound similar, but in fact be unrelated.

The only person who can give you case specific information is your treating physician.

12. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Question.....does anyone know how long your foot/ankle is supposed to hold up after calcaneal osteotomy surgery? I'm still looking for other options but the doc says That I need the surgery.....thanks.....