1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Screw removal 5yrs post LisFranc Surgery

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by atbgo, Jun 18, 2011.

1. atbgo

atbgo New Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi, I found this site by accident, but hopefully I will get some answers. I look forward to any comments, experiences, ideas...

I am scheduled to have my screws removed 5 years post LisFranc surgery. After the original surgery, I was under the impression that my foot was in such bad shape they (the screws) would never come out. Regardless of my remarkable recovery, my age and my previous injuries and arthritis would never allow me (according to my MD.) to get the pins removed.

Now I have had so many "minor injuries" and had to be back in the "boot," which has also now turned into pain in my knees, and hips, that he suggested to have them taken out. Yipee, I think! The new surgeon seems to be trying to talk me out of this. Please, can I gather some insight? I am now 46. (I am limited by other health issues) however, I try to be pretty active, my children are 8 & 10, so I am trying to play kickball, basketball, walk the dog, swim. But the surgeon has told me that my activity level will not matter regarding my recovery. If it fails, (the surgery) what I do to help my recovery isn't going to matter. It will just be that the surgery failed.

That will mean that the foot (ankle I suppose because those bones were crushed) will have to be fused. I understand that the recovery from this surgery is long and difficult. Once again, I can handle that part, as long as I will walk again.

Any clues, comments, do's or don'ts??

2. katej1428

katej1428 New Member

Hi!!

Had screw removal myself. I had a relatively minor impact/fall trauma but the physio on the naval base I was posted to had no idea and it was 12 months later, diff physio at a diff base, that diagnosed me. When I saw the surgeon he operated the next day due to the damage that PT and training was doing.
    Due to the activity level of my training, after healing I found the screw to be restricting, for lunges, push ups etc and elected removal. I had the misfortune of developing a severe haematoma that got infected and required a plastic surgeon to dig out - inept medic said there was no infection so again late intervention buggered me up.
    6 yrs on I now have swelling and increased pain to the point I can’t pivot and it hurts to walk.
    So anyways - a bit long-winded sorry!- my personal removal was ok despite the infection and I bounced back despite the osteo-arthritis in the joint.
    Am going back to a surgeon myself. If they fuse, can the take out the scar tissue as well maybe? I know this in itself can be painful.
    My personal opinion is it it’s impeding quality of life, and stopping you from doing what you normally do, it might be worth considering. The sooner the better given your age in terms of the body bouncing back (no offence)
    I’m now 36.
    If the prognosis long term is positive, maybe give it a shot, and get a second opinion from another surgeon for clarity.
    Good luck.