1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Ingrown toenail after surgery

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by argir, Jan 6, 2009.

1. argir

argir New Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I recently has my second toenail surgery for the same problem. The first time around it was a regular ingrown toenail, and the surgery removed a few mm of the infected side of nail down to the base and i slowly grew it back. Somewhere midway in the regrowing of the nail an infection started and got worse even after the nail was already out and through. This infection progresed and raw red flesh growth began to develope that started coming form the side and even underneath the nail and oozed pus. This flesh growth got big everytime it got wet through shower or in a shoe for hours, and almost doubles in size when i put polysporin on it.

toe1.JPG

So i had my second surgery, which only removed the flesh growth and didnt cut the nail since the doctor said its throught and straight, and she put silver oxide or something on the wound. After 2 days i take off the bandages and there is just a black spot where the silver oxide is and no blood on the bandages at all. I pour peroxide on it and put polysporin and cover it. The next day i open the wound and i can see the same flesh growth but smaller.

toe2.JPG

I put peroxide on it again and a litle iodine. and simply put a bandaid on it. The next day it formed a scab over the red flesh as it used to on the red flesh before the surgery, and it oozes pus from underneath the top of the nail also like it did before the surgery.

toe3.JPG

So my question is why was there flesh growth the second time of my infection and how can it be removed now that it seems it has remained after the surgery?

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS- ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    Your pics appear to show a reactive granuloma of the nail fold (sometimes referred to as "proud flesh") . . . a tumor mass commonly associated with irritation from an ingrown nail. I don't recall ever seeing one which did not also require addressing the ingrowing nail problem. The mass can be removed by a variety of surgical or chemical means, but I will caution you that it is always best to have it subsequently histologically identified, as everything is not always what it seems to be. I would think, though, that in spite of what your doctor has said, something also needs to be done with the nail, especially as the suspected granuloma has recurred after removal. If there truly is not an ingrown nail problem, I think it even more important that the tissue to sent to a pathologist for identification.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  3. argir

argir New Member

Well i had my puss tested and sent to the surgeon prior to the operation so she has that information too. Also i suspect the infection hapened from me lifting the nail, and even though its already straight and out it causes the nail to come off from the skinon the side and the infection stemed from there.

Also do you know what i should be doing to the wound after operation, since polysporin seems to make it grow. And there are so many different sugestions. Some say put peroxide on it, some say warm water and salt and cover with polysporin. So which is best for the healing of the post surgery wound with no infection?

4. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS- ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    You have never described the precise nature of your toenail surgery, but in my view, it is inappropriate to perform any definitive nail surgical other than an excision and drainage if there is pus present. The infection should be resolved prior to other surgical procedures, as not to do so risks driving the infection deeper. Rarely is it necessary to do a culture and sensitivity, and rarely is anything other than soaks and sterile dressings necessary for resolution of the infection. Other than in high risk patients, it is generally unnecessary to employ either oral or topical antibiotics after a procedure, the site of which is not infected or has not become infected. I really think that you are making more of this than needs be made. You are describing an exceedingly common foot problem which is routinely treated without much if any fanfare by most any podiatrist. Why are you not asking your own doctor for post-operative instructions instead of relying of what "some say?"

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  5. argir

argir New Member

well because it takes me months to get a god damn appointment and then wait again for surgery

6. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

If it takes months to reach your doctor for either post-operative instructions or to see you for a problem connected with his/her ongoing care of you, then you need to find another doctor. But I think it obvious that such is not the case, as a doctor certainly has the right not to see you for a new and independent problem, but is required legally, ethically and under penalty of malpractice litigation to provide proper ongoing care once it has begun. Anyone who has the time and willingness to document his/her care with pictures and to post questions to those who know less about his/her case then one's own doctor but can't pick up the phone to call that doctor who is the actual provider of care when a complication of treatment arises, has at least some personal responsibility for both his/her concerns and the possible poor results which might eventuate. My comment, of course, will not be taken well by you, as it criticizes YOUR actions when all you are willing to entertain is criticism of your doctor. So spare me your indignation and disdain. Forums such as this are not intended to replace your own doctor or your responsibility to interact directly with him/her. I say again that you are making more of this than needs to be made, especially as you have a much more logical and direct route to an answer for your concerns.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  7. argir

argir New Member

I totaly agree with everything you said. But then what are these forums for since everyone does have a doctor.

8. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

Glad you asked . . Forums such as this are appropriate for GENERAL information, which might include discussions of normal and pathologic foot function, the general nature of common foot problems problems, methods of diagnosis and generally available treatments, along with their relative success rates, side effects and drawbacks. In addition, information offered here might serve to help clarify or explain or give the patient greater insight into an aspect of his/her doctor's diagnosis or treatment or treatment recommendation which had not been made entirely clear to the patient. What they are NOT appropriate for is addressing most individual problem and individual situations, as meaningful answers on which the questioner might rely most always require far more specifics of the case than can be presented here by a lay person, and most times requires a hands-on examination. One would NEVER expect even one's own doctor to offer definitive recommendations regarding a problem which he/she had never personally evaluated. Although, very often a questioner will deny that a diagnosis offered here will be acted upon by them without further doctor consultation, I would have to believe such would frequently not be the case, and thus there is inherent danger. Finally, before researching on the Internet or posting questions to those in whose trust you should not have so easily acquired, the simplest and most effective answer for many if not most of the questions posed here from patients who are currently under treatment, is to consult their own doctor. If that doctor cannot be trusted for an accurate answer, then one should find another doctor.