1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Burning Feet / Numbness / Pain under toes - Who should I see first?

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by JasonMI, Oct 14, 2011.

Tags:
  1. JasonMI

JasonMI New Member

Hello - My first post here, glad to see such a forum exists!

First off, I am a 37yo Male from Grand Rapids, Michigan.

I have for the past 3 or 4 years had burning sensations and numbness in my feet, mostly while trying to go to sleep. I have not seen a doctor since I lived in Minnesota about 7 years ago, when I had a physical and some bloodwork done and everything seemed to come back ok. I do not currently have Insurance.

I am currently a restaurant server/bartender and have been for about the last 15 years. I am on my feet constantly throughout my shift, and usually work about 3-4 days a week. I don't wear the best shoes, but I think there is certainly more to what I've got going on here than that.

I am and have been a moderate to heavy drinker for the past 10+ years. In the past, my feet would hurt the worst after a few days of heavy drinking, and then feel better when not drinking as much (assuming my body was dehydrated a lot more while drinking). Recently, I've been trying to cut back on the drinking a lot more, but the feet don't seem to improve much anymore.

Two days ago, I woke up and had fairly moderate pain underneath my second and third metatarsal in my left foot and it hurt to walk. Yesterday, it got worse and I could barely walk on my left foot. I actually had to have somebody work for me because I wasn't able to put much pressure on it. I don't think I did anything out of the ordinary to it, but it feels like a muscle issue. My feet feel like they are a little puffier than normal, but the pain seems to be getting a little better today.

From what I've read, alcholic neuropathy or diabetes is certainly a possibility.

Anyways, I'm not here for a full diagnosis or lecture. I know I need to get these things under control. My problem is, I just don't know where to start. Like I said, I don't have a regular doctor, and I don't have Insurance or a lot of money. My girlfriend thought I should go to urgent care about the pain in the left foot, but I think that would probably be just a waste of money (and it seems to be getting better now). I do however, want to get on a path of figuring out what is going on here.

So - Should I just try to find a GP first and get some tests done? The lack of insurance and little money is the main problem here, so I'd like to get the most bang for my buck, if you know what i mean!

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for any input.

Jason