1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

5th Metatarsal break with new toe bruising

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hello! You may not wish to make any assessments on this, but I'm hoping my question is pretty simple. I broke my 5th metatarsal two weeks ago (7/8) on my way to see a friend in the ER. I ended up just staying since I was already there and was put in a splint and told to follow up with the doctor in a week. Went to the Orthopedist who told me I got very lucky, the fracture is not severe, and was given an ace bandage and told I could walk with the surgical boot as long as the pain allows, and to come back in 4 weeks for a follow up xray. The same evening I got that diagnosis I flew overnight to London and back to the US four days later (pre-arranged trip...took it since I could walk with cane, he said I could travel). Since I landed in London I've had bruising around the base and about half way up my 2nd, 3rd and 4th toes which hasn't gone away (now 8 days since the toe bruising arrived). No pain or numbness with the bruising, but since it came 1.5 weeks after the break and hasn't improved much, I just wanted to make sure it doesn't sound too odd and then additional briusing is not uncommon. Other than this, the only bruising and swelling I have is specific to the area where the break was. Called the Doctor two days ago and left a message, but haven't heard back... Any thoughts much appreciated!

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS-ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    The seepage of blood and blood products into dependent areas is common and is often its appearance and notice is delayed. I see no particular reason why the prognosis should be changed simply because of this and in the absence of new pain, though you should be aware that certain areas of the 5th metatarsal, because of limited circulation, are prone to non or mal-union and it should probably be followed more closely than some fractures of metatarsals. My comments are NOT a license not to contact your doctor.