1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

avulsion fracture healing time

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by kaz, Feb 21, 2009.

1. kaz

kaz Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I am a 45 year old woman, and I have a fifth metatarsal avulsion fracture due to rolling my foot and landing hard on concrete five weeks ago. It feels much better now and I am able to walk fairly normally, if carefully. I have been using a stiff soled boot provided by the doctor whenever I am not in the house, and I use an ultrasound bone healer once a day.

My question is, how long does it usually take for the fracture to fill in with new bone? I had an x-ray yesterday, and the crack is still quite visible (although the doctor said there was evidence of healing). The doctor said that I could now use sturdy shoes, and only use the boot if I was going to be on my feet a lot (I am a teacher) for the next week or so. He did not make another appointment for me, and told me I am 'in the home stretch'.

I guess I am concerned because obviously the crack is still there, and I don't want to do something stupid and mess it up when it is not fully healed yet, even though there is not much pain any more. Is it normal to still see the crack at five weeks? At what point can I go hiking and not worry about the fracture not being fully healed? It is not displaced, but the outside edge of the fracture has a little gap (it's more of a hairline otherwise).

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS- ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    By your story, I assume that you had sustained an inversion injury of the foot which commonly results in an avulsion fracture at the styloid process at the base of the fifth metatarsal. If that is the case, because this is the point of insertion of the peroneus brevis tendon, often, instead of the bone fracturing in place or the tendon tearing, the bony insertion is frequently avulsed and continues to dwell within the tendon . . thus it is termed an avulsion fracture. In such a situation, because of the continuing pull of this tendon, it is difficult, without internal fixation (which is rarely appropriate in such a situation unless there is a great deal of torsional or lateral displacement), compression of the fracture segments is difficult and very often, instead of normal bone to bone healing taking place, the injury heals with a fibrocartilagenous bridge, at least to some extent, which generally suffices, but appears on x-ray as a gap, as the fibrocartilage is less radio-opaque than bone. This suggested description is neither intended nor should it be taken as a definitive diagnosis in your individual case, as my comments are always of a general nature based on my previous experiences and not on actual facts of the case in question. Accordingly there may be other and more serious problems which may need addressing. But that has to be left to the decision of the attending doctor. Therefore, whether or not it is sufficiently healed or if it will ever be devoid of an apparent gap, I have no way of determining.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
  3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I am 18 years old n i have avulsion fracture on the bottom off my big toe and on the ball of my big toe ive been out now for 3 months from football it is sort off getting better but is still painful to walk it is sore to push down on my big toe...

what do you think is wrong..???

4. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

How is your toe now football boy? I just avulsion fractured my toe too - damn!

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I originally injured my left foot and ankle May 3rdhave 2012 by twisting it inward I did hear and feel a 'pop'! I saw my regular md she said it was a sprain and to buy an ace bandage!! The pain was severe and I was unable to move my last 2one toes, the throbbing would wake me up at night! 4 weeks later I had to dive into the river! A small child was going under my foot got stuck in a large rock I pulled it out causing alit of pain swelling etc.... I did go to the hospital an xray showed an EVULSION fx an obvious large piece of bone was visible. I was diagnosed with an EVULSION fx sent to a sports medicine doctor!! I was placed in an air cast to wear 24for hrs per day! At my last appt on exam I am still unable to move my last 22one ties ands internal rotation causes severe pain!! The doctor told me that I was highly sensitive to to pain??????? to wear the boot another 4referall weeks and then they would do a follow up xray! We ate now 4I months into this and if anything the pain is worse!!!! I take the boot off twice a day to ice the area and it is very painful for an hr or so after reapplying the boot! After reading what can happen ling term if the fx is not properly taken care of I am very concerned! Am I being treated appropriately should I switch mess? My doctor dies not prescribe pain medication so it is certainly not a situation in which I am FAKING. pain to get medication!! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!! CINCERNED

6. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

if you are still experiencing a lot of pain you may have RSD. Look this up on line as it is a very complex nerve disorder.

7. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I have avulsion like fracture of the navicular of my right foot.
    Funny thing is i feel no pain apart from a dull ache like for a minute per day.
    Ive had a cast on for 7weeks and its 65% healed i went in and was added a further two more weeks.
    i would like to know when i will heal.

8. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Please. I need an answer to this! 4Months ago, i broke my foot (avulsion fracture) 1month with cast, 1month with boot and about 2month with physical therapy. My therapost told me itsbokay to start pravticing with myteam. Shooting, passing, running. Is it bad that I still have pain in that area? Im not released to play yet butmy therapist said no contact. I go back tomorrow because last time i went, it wasnt heales all the way. Had a little crack still. But i practices yesterday. (Just started last week). Does this pain its still broken? Im so scared