1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Heel pain - feels like blister deep-down

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Actually, on the edge of the bottom part of my heel so there is some foot pressure there. It feels sort of like a blister thats underneath the thick-ish skin on the edge of my heel. Its quite painful to walk on and the area looks a bt swollen

I tried using a pumice stone and it started to bleed a fair bit. Looks like blood vessels there somewhere.

MAking things worse is that my heel has got some cracked skin which is on the inflamed area which. Is fairly painful at times...

Havent been to docs or anything yet but I was wondering if theres any need? Does it sound like a verrucae? If so, whats the best treatment for it?

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

Your expectations here are patently unreasonable. You've given a rather cursory and uncertain lay-based description of your situation and its appearance based on what you think something looks sort of like. You've tried some hit or miss self-treatment which resulted in a lot of bleeding. You've talked about painful cracked skin and inflamed tissues . . and you wonder if you should see a doctor . . . DUH!

Look . . I try to give reasonable information when folks ask reasonable questions to which reasonably and safe replies can be offered. But forums such as this are not appropriate venues for making diagnoses, as diagnoses almost always require far more than descriptions of the complaint by the patient, including an all important hands-on observation. To offer even an opinion as to what a diagnosis might be, and especially when the questioner then asks for treatment recommendations based on that diagnostic guess, is a recipe for possible disaster, and I am not willing to subject you or others who might read this to that disservice.

Once you have a real diagnosis, should you desire a discussion of that diagnosis and/or a discussion of possible treatments for such a diagnosis, but without expectations that such information necessarily applies to your particular and possibly individually specific situation, feel free to write back.

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Pompholyx
    or
    Dyshidrotic Dermatitis Dyshidrotic Eczema

might be something to look into.

if it is, I wish you luck

4. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

Did the last two posters not understand that the question was asked in July of 2008?

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Well here it is, 2011, and I am NOT the original poster... but I am experiencing the same thing. I was curious if this was something common, I did a search and came up with this page. Imagine my disappointment when I saw Foot Dr's rude response.

People sometimes search for answers on the web because they think, someone out there might know the answer. I'm not asking for someone to diagnose and cure me, but if a heel blister deep in the skin is COMMON (and I've never had this before but perhaps many have), I would hate to waste the time and money to go to a doctor when all I needed was an over-the-counter lotion! Clearly, if I'm in excrutiating pain and cannot walk, I'll go to a doctor. DUH.

If you don't know the answer to the question, don't post. Stop wasting everyone's time.

6. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

First grab a sock that you don't like or one that doesn't have a pair. Next grab some vasoleen and apply a generous portion to your foot. When I say generous I mean half the jar all over your foot especially on those cracks, butter up those corn and place the sock on your foot and leave on over night. In the morning your foot will be good as new.

7. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hi! It's now 2015, and I realise this thread has been going on for a while! I am experiencing exactly the same symptoms and just wanted a rough idea of what it could be before I visit the doctors - Well said to the person who put "Foot Doc" in their place, I totally agree if you're not experiencing the same problem or don't have anything positive to contribute... politely, get lost! If anyone could kindly give me suggestions or any remedies to try and relieve the pain other than painkillers (which I'm already taking) I'd appreciate it very much!!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  8. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I had this problem myself a few days ago and was searching the web to see if there was a "suggested" time to wait before returning to my usual routine (which I haven't found yet, but anyway).
    I am not a doctor, and I do not know what the problem is exactly, other than I believe that it actually is like a large blister, it's just that the skin is thicker on the heel of the foot so the fluid doesn't come to the surface like in a regular blister. A few days ago I was wearing some shoes that, though nearly flat, the heel sort of collapsed in on itself, and being at work I didn't have a change of shoes. All day it rubbed my foot the "wrong way" with my heel sliding around constantly when I walked. I didn't realize how bad it really was until the next day I could barely stand to put pressure on it. I soaked it in a warm tub of water with epson salt, wore tennis shoes and stayed off of it and it got better.
    Good luck others with this problem.

-K

9. Esucarys

Esucarys Guest

I have the exact same problem and all this thread did was tell me that the Foot Doc is rude and needs to find another field to work in - perhaps one where interaction with other people is not a necessity.

10. Came to this thread because my boyfriend has the same complaint: apparent heel blister under the skin, a bit swollen, but no visible surface blister. His internal blister is on the inside of the foot/ about where the heel meets the arch, a little swollen, but no redness. It's not excessively painful, and he has been wearing cheap old navy flip flops all month so I guess I'll just tell him to put some Vaseline on it and switch to tennis shoes.

PS: Eight years later, we seem
    to all be in agreement that this foot Dr. Guy is a real dick, right?

11. Years and years , and still no actual answer . My blister thingy seems to have been slowly making its way out over the last 4 months, and now is gotten pretty close to the surface . It feels like I have a burning ember stuck in my foot, just where the heel and arch meet. There's no way Vaseline is going to fix this overnight. I'm making an appointment with a doctor because the pain is really starting to get bad if I step on it wrong, or on something. I was hoping for a home remedy. Darn.

12. Years and years , and still no actual answer . My blister thingy seems to have been slowly making its way out over the last 4 months, and now is gotten pretty close to the surface . It feels like I have a burning ember stuck in my foot, just where the heel and arch meet. There's no way Vaseline is going to fix this overnight. I'm making an appointment with a doctor because the pain is really starting to get bad if I step on it wrong, or on something. I was hoping for a home remedy. Darn.

13. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Guest

next year and another poster with the same or similar problem. I walked a long distance barefoot on marble tiles in mecca and my right heel developed a sharp pain. Gave it a day or so and then noticed that if I rolled my heel across a hard surface while applying moderate pressure, it felt like fluid moving inside my heel. But the heel shows no sign of a blister. It’s been over a month, longer than it seems it should take to heal, so I’ll go see a doctor and report back here inshaa’Allah.

14. Ryan

Ryan Guest

So, may as well keep the tradition of a post a year. 2018 now...

I have the same issue, inside of both heels just before the arch. Really painful to walk on.. is Vaseline the only remedy we have so far? If so I’ll be buying a supple of jars right now!! I need to be able to walk properly again!

15. Ronnie7910

Ronnie7910 Guest

I ended up with the same problem a year ago after doing a long distance charity walk and I’ve stumbled on this page while trying to find a way of preventing this from happening again on my next long walk.

What worked for me: I used a pumice stone on the area every day before showering then covered my feet in this really great foot cream: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gehwol-Cream-Strengthens-Prevent-Blisters/dp/B000KOQ85M
    Then covered my feet in socks.
    I used the cream twice a day at first but now only use it before bed.

That eventually softened the skin around my heel and then I could deal with the deep blisters that were lurking below the skin. They will either heal on their own over time or you can drain them.

Hope this helps someone out there.

16. stingynina

stingynina Guest

Yep...same problem...right heel only...not finding any answers...lol

17. I'm not sure the Vaseline was so much for the blister as it was for the crack that the first guy experienced.

So, lets pull this apart he had many issues and I believe the Vaseline is NOT for the blisters.

I too have come up with these blisters, oh and how painful they are. They are deep in the skin on the bottom of my foot just to the outside of my heel callous. I have not worn any new shoes lately, I walk A LOT as well as hike and this really is putting a damper on my lifestyle. UGH!!! I have found a pair of sandals that do not irritate the site to walk on, but other than that I am walking on my toes and getting a killer calf work out. Hope this goes away soon. In my research I found some information on allergic reactions, I do walk barefoot a lot, anyone else walk barefoot a lot that has this issue?

18. Like maybe an ME? :)

19. bumbledwarf

bumbledwarf Guest

You must be a PHd (Pretty Huge Dick)

20. KatRunner

KatRunner Guest

When you feel like you have a burning ember feeling in your foot right where your arch meets your heel, that is classic plantar fasciitis. It hurts more in the morning when you first wake up. Runners get it a lot but so do people with weak arches, heavy weight, age, unsupportive shoes (like flips flops and flat sandals). It can be hard to get rid of but it’s important to get rid of it as soon as possible because it can become totally crippling. First, it’s important to wear supportive shoes while you recover. Second, it’s important to massage that area that hurts with your hand or a tennis on the floor or a frozen water bottle (rolling your foot on it) and do this as much as possible. Third, it’s important to do strengthening exercises for your arch (easy to google these exercises). Fourth, it’s important to stretch your calves right when you wake up in the morning and before bed and don’t bounce during your stretches. Do a nice gentle static stretch. Fifth, ice on the arches doesn’t ever hurt. And LAST BUT NOT LEAST, sleep with your feet out from underneath your covers at night because the blankets press your feet down and that aggravates the fascia.
    There was someone who mentioned pain on the outer edge of the heel, that can be a myriad of things from a fungus like athletes foot or eczema that causes cracking in the heel. Cracking can be very painful and it can even get infected. The Vaseline suggestion actually works but not always overnight but it’s a good suggestion for cracking It’s also possible to get a blister on the edge of the heel or really anywhere on the foot from excess or new rubbing/abrasion from a shoe. I’ve gotten plenty of those from longer races where my foot got wet from sweat or water.
    Anyway, I hope this helps someone.
    And yes, the first Foot Dr. dude was a douche. No need for rudeness.
    All the best,
    Kat