1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Ball of foot ache

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by jhunterak, May 21, 2009.

1. jhunterak

jhunterak New Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    On Saturday May 9th I wore my Chaco sandals (toe strap) all day and at the end of the day when I took them off and walked around barefoot I noticed a dull pain at the ball of my big toe (near the back towards the second toe (medial sesamoid area)). It hasn't gotten any worse but won't go away. I tried running on Monday May 11th and there was no pain at all during the run nor was the pain increased after the run. Again I ran on the following Thursday, Friday and Saturday with no pain during the run nor increased pain after. It's mainly a dull ache that is noticeable when walking slowly or standing and particularly worse when barefoot on hardwood floors.

I also ran for the past three days with the same outcome.

All of these runs are 3 miles at about a 10 minute/mile pace.

Icing and advil have not seemed to do much.

So in essence, if I walk briskly, mow the yard, or run the ache goes away for a little while.

Also, massaging the area makes the ache go away for about ten minutes then it's back.

I hadn't been running much prior to this problem due to a sinus infection so I don't think running is the cause.

I've pretty much ruled out Mortons Neuroma.

Any ideas?

I'm going to see a podiatrist next Friday.

I would like to add that I'm 36 years old, and there is no visible evidence of anything wrong with the area. I.e. bruising, redness, swelling, etc.

Last edited: May 21, 2009
  2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

As you are hopefully going to get a definitive recommendation based on examination in just a few days, I see little advantage in filling your head with guesses and supposition base on insufficient information and which might only tend to give you false expectations as to what will be found.

3. jhunterak

jhunterak New Member

my best guess is Sesamoiditis due to the location of the ache. However, the fact that the ache goes away upon being warmed up (brisk walking, running) Sesamoiditis doesn't fit the bill and neither does Metatarsalgia.

I thought perhaps you would have some insight. I'm not looking for a diagnosis as I already have an appt. with a Podiatrist.

I'd welcome the guesses and suppositions as this would give me something more to go on as I try to research it.

I've been wearing my old running shoes alot because they feel great but once I noticed this ache I've been playing around with different inserts (that I already owned, superfeet, etc.) and found that when I stepped on my original running shoe insert that my forefoot hung off either side by a quarter to a half an inch on both sides.

so regardless of the diagnosis it's obvious I need to switch to a different running shoe i.e. Saucony ProGrid Rides come in wide. I'm currently in Saucony ProGrid Triumphs (no wide available) Would you agree?