1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Broken 3rd Metatarsal

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hi, I broke my third metatarsal 10 days ago playing football. This was caused by 'direct trauma' rather than a stress fracture. Another played kicked me on the top of the foot. On day 2 I went to the hospital and the X ray confirmed it was broken and I was put in plaster. Since the injury occured I've not really experienced any pain.

I went back to the hospital yesterday (day 9). The doctor asked me if I could put any weight on the broken foot. I tried very briefly and I could put a little weight on it for just a few seconds. The doctor also pushed down on the injured area and asked if it hurt. It did not. He then had my plaster removed and advised me to start gently start walking on the broken foot if I can or to continue using crutches for another week. I was not given an aircast walker.

Since then I've tried walking on the broken foot, but I can't really put any weight on the ball of my foot, I can only really hobble on the heel. So I'm continuing to use the crutches.

I would like to know what you think about the following;
    1) do you think it was a little early to be taken out of plaster and is it realistic to be attempting to weight on the broken foot at this stage.
    2) I've heard that the 3rd metatarsal heals quicker and better than the others. Is this true and when do you think realistically I might be able to walk normally or even run on it and eventually play football again.
    3) Would you advise using the aircast boot for a while. I've seen some online I might buy to help me walk.

I know it's difficult to give detailed advice without having seen my injury and knowing the specifics of my case, but I'd be grateful for any general advice and in particular to know whether you think it's a bit ambitious to be attempting to walk at this stage.

Thanks doc.

Joe from London