1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Tips for Bunion surgery recovery.

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I have a question....I had my surgery done on 6/15/12 on both feet. I am very pleased with the lack of pain and the recovery process. I did not have to have pins, but the doctor did shave down the bones and cut the tendon between the big toe and one next to it. The left one was worse than the right one - it built up vertically not horizontally. That one was the worst. My right one, however, is the one I have the question about: it doesn't appear to have been shaved down as much as I would have suspected. Will it take a while for it to look flat? It still bumps out. I'm a little worried that, even though the pain is not as bad as I thought it would be, the doctor did not do enough. Any thoughts?

2. Fuerza

Fuerza Guest

Had surgery 3weeks ago. Bone shaved cut realigned set with bio screw. Pain was intense for next 2days. Followed Md advice...ice elevation stayed off of it. Still hobbling on surgical shoe and cane. Stitches out but still wont let me shower because I need bandage to keep alignment. Next week getting boot and upgrade activity level. Am rapidly losing calf muscle. My advice is to choose the right surgeon and follow his or her advice. As has been stated previously there are many variations of this surgery. We can only share our stories. Don't hesitate to ask questions well beforescheduling surgery so you can plan accordingly. You will need help...I needed it for first 2 weeks. I had adverse reaction to pain medicine that caused setback. Take it a day at a time and follow doctors advice...even if it is frustrating! Also, don't be bullied into doing more than you should. My Md is cautious, and people arectelling me to ignore him and resume activities! I do not want to compromise my recovery. Good luck everyone!

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hey, I just got surgery earlier today, n it's because my bunion is so crossed over. They cut into my growth plate so it could go over for the best of my feet. (btw, i'm 11) They just did the right foot because the procedure was more "in depth". I have a certified podiatrist who Makes me laugh all the time and he is also a doctor who knows what he talks about. I currently have a cast up to my knee, I need crutches, and I just woke up from crashing. The pain medicine/antibiotics really help. Just keep your cast clean and keep your feet elevated with an ice pack under the knee where it bends, 20 min on/20 min off. Just do what your doctor says, and you'll be just fine, since you're getting this from an 11 yr old lol

Hey, Feet are cool

4. charlotteday

charlotteday New Member

Last year, I had a Bunion surgery and my doctor told me to not walk without a supportive foot gear. He recommended me to a physical therapist and bought a comfortable shoes. Anyway, you can also do exercises but it is always best to ask your doctor on what and what you can't do.

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I had bunion surgery on Thurs., 7/26/12. It was a breeze, especially compared to the 1st surgery I had in 1996. I started on Vicodin that night, but started breaking it in half. That stuff is just too strong! I have a screw in and I was on crutches for the 1st week. I noticed no one mentioned a Biocryo Cold Compression Therapy System. My dr recommended it and it was covered by my insurance. It has helped tremendously with pain management. Ask your dr about it. It should arrive a few days before surgery.

Now I have to work on exercising the foot. That's very painful and Aleve is just not doing the job. What kind of exercises is everyone doing and how soon did you start?

6. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Great to read all the responses. I'm having bunion surgery next month and while I feel confident that my doctor knows what he's talking about and he says my procedure will be simple; I'd like to have both feet done at the same time. He suggests I get the left foot done later (within the coming year). I know people (and having read some of your posts) where it seems like there is no real disadvantage (other than the added inconvenience) in healing of both at the same time; and I guess having one foot to balance on when up and about. ???? I guess...but I'd really like to be done with it.

7. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I had my bunion removed two day's ago it hurts so bad if I would have known I wouldn't had this done. Omg the pain meds or not working and neither is the ice.

8. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I had bunion surgery two years ago on my left foot and all the doctor did was shave the bone and cut the tendon between the big toe and the one next to it. The bunion was never completely gone and after about a year, the pain was back. Five weeks ago today I had surgery again. This time another doctor cut my toe and put pins inside in addition to shaving the bunion off. I was in a surgical shoe for two weeks, then he put me in a boot. It is better but swells and is very tender. I cannot wear a regular shoe so I am back in the surgical shoe. I know it took forever to be able just to wear a soft flat shoe when I had my first surgery. Crocs was really the only shoe that I was able to wear. I am hoping that I will be able to get into some other type of shoe soon. Hope you have better luck than I did with my first surgery!

9. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I just had bunion surgery (on my right foot) last thursday (August 30th) and have had nothing but pain since. I have pain when I try walking...or hobbling as I call it! I am still taking pain meds (tramacet). I just had my bandages changed today and the doctor said it looks great and is healing very well. My only thought is that I must not have a very high tolerance for pain - which is weird, cause I thought I did. My foot burns and throbs so bad, it feels like it's on fire sometimes. It does help with the ice and the elevation.....so looks like alot more rest in the future.

10. NJM123

NJM123 Guest

I am on my 4th day post op. I had both feet operated on both big toes and outside of each small toe. First bit of advice, stay on top of pain meds!! Take the first dose right when you get home. I waited until the pain kicked in to take my meds and let me tell you - when that local anestetic completely wears off, the pain is close to ubearable!! I don't claim to have a high threshold for pain, but I can handle a decent amount of pain, and the first night after surgery was difficult in terms of pain. Second day was very uncomfortable and then on pretty minimal. I have stayed off my feet except to go to the bathroom as my doctor requested and I am happy I followed his instructions. The pain is has diminished tremendously. Every one in a while I will get some uncomfortable stabbing pains, but compared to day one, it is no problem. I have kept my feet elevated constantly and the swelling is not so bad. I am still icing. If I could do it over again, I would have iced more (15 mins on, 15 mins off consistently) during the first 24. I am happy with the recovery so far and plan to remain off my feet as much as possible during the first few weeks as my doctor suggested.
    I heard horror stories about this surgery and was quite frightened prior to surgery. So far, I am quite pleased and I beleive my satisfaction is attributed to selecting a proven doctor and following is instructions.

11. pogo199

pogo199 New Member

I loved reading your post because it was positive! I was first given an MRI to see if a Neuroma had grown back seding burning pain through my foot and only allowing me to wear sketcher sandals all summer but now after the doc X-raying it with me standing do we know that there is scar tissue at the old neuroma site but my big toe has a bunion and that's where the pain comes from. I'm confused because he told me 2 weeks recovery! I will be calling the surgical co-ordinater tomorrow!

12. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I'm having bunion surgery in 2days on my right foot. I wanted both feet done at once so that I wouldnt have to take more time off work a second time round and actually be able to wear shoes w/o one foot looking odd. However, my consultant has refused to do them both at once as it isn't normal practice to do so. Like you I'ld just like to be done with it. I've never had any kind of surgery or major illnesses before so I wasnt sure what to expect. I've found the comments on here extremely helpful and wuill be sure to post tips/advice following my surgery. Thank you all.

13. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hi I was wondering how your surgery went and how the recovery is going? I am looking to have both bunions corrected in December so I can recover off feet over christmas holidays. Would you recommend both feet and how long until you can walk around and for how long (in periods of time etc). Grateful for your advice. Maria

14. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

hi i am getting bunion surgery within the next three weeks. i am 16 and freaking out. i have to get one on my left foot on the inside by my big toe. and two on my right. one on the inside by the big toe and one by the pinkie toe. i am a cheerleader so i am worried about recovery. my friend had the surgery and was in a wheelchair for a few weeks. and my surgery will be worse cause my bones have already shifted. i just want to know how long my recovery time will be and the pain that i should expect.

15. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I had bunion surgery on August 15th, 2012. Had no pain at all, in fact I wondered if the doctor had actually done anything. I was on crutches for 4 weeks, no weight bearing on my foot. Unfortunately I lost my balance and broke my wrist, now the problems began. I could still not put weight on my foot for another 2 weeks (6 weeks in total). Finally after 6 weeks I was put in a boot which I could walk with, without crutches. Was in a cast on my arm for a total of 9 weeks. When I finally could get out of the boot I could not fit in any shoes because of the swelling. It took two more weeks to get into a shoe. This is now Dec 17/12 and well I have no pain with the bunion surgery but my ankle is very stiff from not using it for 6 weeks. I can still only get into one pair of shoes and a low boot and find any amount of walking bad for my ankle. Would I do it again, yes, but I wouldnt recommend loosing balance and breaking a wrist at the same time.

16. bevfly

bevfly New Member

Had my bunion surgery on my left foot on 27th nov 2012(so 6 weeks ago)i got a plaster cast on for the 1st 2 weeks and had my stitches out then another cast for a further 4 weeks,i got my final cast off on thursday jan 10th,i am now finding it very hard to walk and to even get a shoe on my foot as its swollen(apparently you have swelling for around 2 weeks after the cast is taken off)so its winter here in scotland and the only footwear i can get on is fit flops,they are not so bad as they have a special sole thats good for the foot.i tried my ugg boots and even slippers but they will not go on,if anyone has any help or suggestions for footwear please let me know thank you,i have a very important job interview and cant go in open shoes xx

17. sakie1

sakie1 Guest

Following a July 2012 vacation to New York and after many years of pain from my bunions decided to get them fixed. I have a podiatrist friend who said my bunions were moderate to severe and planned was the removal of the bunion, cutting the tendons between the first and second toe with three breaks and screws of the bones in my forefoot and toe.Possibly also a wire. My podiatrist friend had 25 years’ experience and the surgery was not out of the ordinary but as I am a nurse decided to get a second opinion.
    I did research online and found a podiatrist near me in Wheaton, Illinois, Dr. David Hettinger who also had 20 plus years of experience, has written for medical textbooks and has lectured internationally. His opinion was that the same thing could be accomplished with minimally invasive surgery, no screws and no wires no stitches. There would be only one break in the bone which would correct the angle of the great toe, but which would not need a screw . The break would be held in place with bandages. He would also remove the bunion and cut the tendons to prevent the return of the bunion. All this could be done with minimally invasive surgery and three tiny incisions which would not even leave a scar. This would result in far less pain and faster recovery. I did not trust him because the surgery was radically different, and questioned him extensively regarding the effectiveness of this procedure.
    Deciding I had nothing to lose I had my first foot done in October 2012. I am sitting here now four days post op with my second foot surgery. I had minimal need for pain medication after the first surgery. For some reason this second surgery has proved to be even easier though there has been more swelling and bruising. I have not needed any pain medication at all this time but instead am taking anti-inflammatories. I am more ambulatory as well. Same post op precautions are necessary with ice and elevation of the foot for the first several days with activity restriction. The surgical shoe still must be worn for five weeks . By five weeks I was able to wear tennis shoes and by eight weeks post op able to wear any shoes I had worn before my surgery. Everything he said was true. The same lifetime precautions are necessary in that following the repair of any bunion orthotics must be worn and heels avoided.
    Dr. Hettinger explained that doing minimally invasive surgery does take more time and effort to learn and while there was a select group of podiatrists and orthopedists doing this type of surgery they were not easy to find. I caution all of you, if you are considering bunion surgery please find a podiatrist who specializes in minimally invasive surgery to see if this is appropriate for you. Minimally invasive surgery is not new; it has been around for over 20 years.

18. Jayne

Jayne Guest

Hi had my right foot done on the 8th of Jan. Two years ago I had a very successful left foot op, cut tendon, broke and pinned the joint and this op was the same.

My main advice

Rest with your leg up and don't think that you can do much for a couple of weeks, because you will slow down your progress. Don't be brave if you need pain relief - have it

Wide shoes for a few months after the surgical boot, I bought sketchers for my work as a teacher and expect a little swelling to reoccur as you do more and more activity.

Big tip, duvets at night push down on the foot/feet, get a large cardboard box, cut the lid and one side out and you have a bed cradle to put under the covers and give your feet space.

19. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I just had bunion surgery on one foot 3 days ago. I also have to get surgery on the other foot as well, once this one has healed. The first 48 hours after the freezing wore off was brutal. It was extremely painful and I thought to myself "I will never do this again, forget the other foot". I did keep my foot elevated at all times except to go to the washroom. I also made sure I took my meds as prescribed. But today, I am surprised that after 72 hours, I am able to almost walk on my cast with barely no pain at all. I stopped taking medication this morning. I guess I will get the other one done. I think its because I followed the doctors orders and kept my foot elevated at all times that the pain did not last as long as I thought it would. Good Luck!

20. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I had surgery on one foot 6weeks ago. I was lucky in having no pain after the first 1-2 days, just some aches and a few twinges.
    I kept my foot elevated above my hip for most of the first 2weeks, and walked as little as possible. I felt a bit groggy for the first few days and was happy to sit around doing very little. I used a good quality office chair on castors to move around the ground floor, and after a few days was able to take over cooking and washing sitting in the chair with minimal use of crutches. I went up and down stairs sitting down. For the first few days I was hopping the few steps from the chair to the toilet, with the help of a crutch. I didn't have a shower for nearly 2 weeks (!) then wrapped my foot in clingfilm, used a plastic stool in the shower with a chair outside for support, and took a crutch in with me.
    I think this super cautious approach paid off because after 3 weeks my foot had healed well and I started walking much more with crutches and the special shoe. I was able to ditch the crutches by week 4. Now after 6 weeks I am back in 'normal' shoes ie my biggest trainers and walking well, but am getting more swelling as I am walking a lot more. I am ready to go back to the gym for Pilates and swimming next week, hooray!
    Before I had the op, everyone I told who hadn't had the op winced and said 'bunion surgery, that's very painful isn't it' and everyone who had had it said 'I'm glad I had it done, you won't regret it'. Well, it wasn't painful for me and so far I am glad I had it done.
    I wouldn't like to have both feet done at once though, as I think I would have had to put weight on the operated feet much sooner and that healing would have been slower.
    The worst thing was relying on other people to do things I usually do - very frustrating!! And the lack of my usual exercise routine.