1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

lateral foot pain

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by gracie, Jun 19, 2008.

1. gracie

gracie Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    On April 21st I stood up from the couch and just fell, i took a few more steps and fell again. My foot hurt but i went to sleep anyway. When I woke up I couldn't bear weight. ER Xray was negative. Orthopedic said it could be a stress fracture so I wore a special boot or shoe for 3 weeks and returned. No real improvement. Rested some more and it started felling better. I went back to work (floor nurse) one night and the pain got worse. It's been hurting quite a bit since (2 weeks). The pain is on the lateral edge and tends to be painful when doc presses on a particular area. Since that night at work the pain is the whole side edge of the foot including top and bottom. I can walk but only slowly and limp most of the time. Doc has no idea what is causing the pain. It's been almost 2 months and I have no answers and i'm still in pain (and not working). HELP!

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

For those new to this forum, your question demands that I reiterate what I have found it necessary to post quite often.

Although there are a few medical conditions which have such repeatedly characteristic symptoms (said to be "pathoneumonic"), so as to enable a diagnosis from just a couple of facts, in general, forums such as this are very poor and inappropriate venues for the making of diagnoses. That is because a simply relating by the patient of a symptom, such as pain, and a location, such as the lateral portion of the foot, is but the absolute starting point in a diagnostic process which, in addition, generally necessitates a detailed history of events, a general medical history, a hands-on examination and often some lab or radiologic tests. This is even more the case when there has been a traumatic injury of some sort, as these cases are most-often individualized as to their nature, extent and degree.

The usefulness of forums such as this are in the offering of general discussions of medical problems, their means of diagnosis and the treatment alternatives available. But one should consider even that only general information, and not information which might be relied upon and acted on by an individual offering a question about his/her situation.

Though most questioners will deny that they will actually rely and act upon the information given, such is obviously very often not the case, and the responsible professional cannot place him/herself in the position of offering definitive advice without the adequate basis of knowledge of the patient's situation which he/she would deem an absolute necessary when treating patients in the office or hospital.

According, your question typifies those which cannot responsibly be answered here, and can only be appropriately addressed by a doctor who can make a hands-on assessment of your problem.

But once you have obtained a diagnosis and are offered a treatment plan, you may be able to gain futher and valuable insight into your problem and its potentials for treatment here.