1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

pain on bottom and back of my heal

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I don't have any problems with walking or jogging but when I stand still or sit down I can't put my heel down. I can recline but can't put the back of my heel down.

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

I'm not really sure what you are attempting to describe. "Up" and "down" should never be used to describe the position of a foot, as which direction is "up" and which direction is "down" depends, and changes in relation to the position of the rest of the body and its orientation. I assume that putting the heel "down" when standing or walking means lowering it to the weight-bearing surface, but when reclining, I'm not at all sure what putting the heel "down" means. I would have to suppose that you are probably, at least when walking or jogging, describing either some ankle joint restriction due to some structural failure or blockage of the joint or that you have an overly tight Achilles tendon. If either is the case, though, I cannot picture why you would have no problems walking or jogging. So why not try again and come up with a clearer way to express your situation.

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

ok, let me explain this a little better. When I walk or jog I have no pain on the bottom of my heal at all. When I stand still the bottom of my heal will hurt until I stop standing on it. When I sit down and try to prop my feet up I can't let the back of my heal touch anything because it hurts. I hope this explains it better.

Tennie

4. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

I will caution you that forums are no places to obtain diagnoses, but still I would like to know:

1. When you stand still on your heel and it begins to hurt on the bottom, will immediate pushing with your fingers on the area of the perceived pain then elicit increased pain?

2. Is there an abnormal bump, lump or protrusion, or an area of swelling or any signs of inflammation (heat an redness) at or near the area on the back of the heel that hurts when you touch it to something while sitting down and propping your foot up?

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

No, it doesn't hurt worse to press on my heal when it is hurting. There is no lump on my heal. I've been through the plantar wort and it's not that. I'm thinking it's the plantar faciitis. I put cushions in my shoes and I try to cushion my heal when I don't wear shoes and this helps some. I ordered a night splint to see if that would help also. I have been walking at least 1 1/2 hrs each day and I plan on stopping that until my feet stop hurting if that is the problem.

6. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

As you seem quite troubled with this, and it doesn't seem that you can describe any findings or symptoms which appear to fit any clear diagnosis, why don't you just go see a podiatrist, if for nothing more than a diagnosis. If, after you have an actual diagnosis, you wish to discuss possible general aspects of treatments with me, then perhaps I can give you some insight. But I can't and won't direct any self-treatment for you.

7. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Okay I'll try and be very very specific for you doc.

I have the same thing exactly, My doctor can't seem to be able to figure out what it is.
    I walk alot being a social worker to and from places around the city I live. It happens on the base of both heels (I.e when I am standing straight and upright with my feet flat on the floor not leaning or turned to any strange angle ((Think back against a wall toes not pointing anywhere but resting on the floor)) the part of my heel that is touching the flat surface of a floor while I am stationary ((Not around the heel or the ball of the foot or the toes or the top of the foot or the ankle or the joint, leg etc JUST the bottom of the heel that touches the floor while the rest of the body is upright and stationary) Has a burning (standing on tiny needles) sensation that increases in severaity the longer I stand in the position with my feet on the floor. As soon as I begin to walk (Walking normally, not jumping or skipping or running or jogging or walking too fast or walking too slow) The pain beigns to vanish until it it fine for me to put the pressure of walking (normally) on it.

This has been going on about a year and comes and goes.

When looking at the feet there is NO lumps or soreness or cuts or brusies or burns or stings or fractures or blisters or corns or infections or reddness.

I.E the foot looks normal. No pain at all when sat down, or lying down etc (or in any other position where there is no pressure on the foot or the foot is not touching the floor, like swimming for example)

I hope thats clear enough, I'm sure my doctor thinks im making it up just because he cannot see a reason for it!!! (Like a cut on the foot for example)

8. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

Sorry, but with all of the "((," caveats and asides, I found your post just about impossible to digest and I gave up. Maybe someone else can try.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  9. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Sorry I was trying to be very specific as I saw from your reaction to the thread starters post that you need all details to be spot on and make no assumptions. Sorry if you couldn’t digest it I was actually trying to make it a bit easier for you to understand. Don’t worry.

Is there anyone else who has seen this sort of condition? Its very strange I don’t understand what could be causing it since there are no obvious signs. I have to just put up with switching from foot to foot when standing still doing my flamingo impression. It’s the only thing that stops the pain building up to much!

10. ogandl

ogandl Guest

Oh boy where to begin. I to have had the exact pains in my heel. I have gone to a podiatrist it started with one foot. Had xrays, scans, wore boot on that one foot. Even had shots on the heel of my foot and inflammation meds. After nothing helping I just quit going to dr. Then about a year later both heels were now hurting. After having so much pain even the sheets on the bed hurt the back part of my heels. I say another 6 months to a year went by the pain got worse. I followed up with going to see a Neurologist and Rheumatologist. Scans, xrays, mri, mra. More meds nothing helped. I decided to go to another Podiatrist. I request old records to take to new dr to show what I have had done. There it was that I had the plantar fasciilis. I was never told by the dr that he had a diagnosis. Well new Podiatrist recommended therapy. Went 2 - 3 times for about a month. My feet never hurt whenever I had an appt of course. Simply exercises could be done at home. Pain, still have it so not sure what I will do next. Just wanted you to know you describe it beautifully to a tee. Same stinging, tiny needles feeling. Other unregisted writer was right on the button.
    Good luck

11. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

i have the exact same pain.. if i touch the back of my heel its like a shooting pain.. if i accidently bumb it on the couch or table it feels like someone smashed my heel with a hammer.. oh and that foot doc dude is a jerk.. dont even bother with that

12. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Same thing here, except it's only on my left heel. This started 4 years ago when I was pregnant with DD and my calves and feet were VERY swollen. I have since had another baby with no change in the condition. My pain is worst in the morning and gets better as the day goes on. I feel like it may have more to do with the Achilles tendon.

13. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Why does nobody seem to have the answer, ive been searching online trying to find the answer for the last couple of days.

I have the same problem, if i rub or even bump the back of my heel i get a sharp pain and a short burst of pins and needles, i first noticed this whilst playing football, so i can only think it is all dow do maybe a small tear in the achillies tendon? off to see a doc tuesday so if i have any answers will let you all know.

Just found a bit of info (worth a read)

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00159

Last edited: May 29, 2010
  14. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

What is the purpose of this website if the foot doc will not give out helpful or useful information? I googled for this site as it came up several times under different topics, and the answers were the same. Foot doc pulled attitude, gave medical jargon, then told people to go to a podiatrist, after his disclaimer of course. Don't understand why this is here if he's not going to help people. I am going to continue to search for a site that is helpful with my heel pain. If you have any other sites that might assist in this search, please post the links for those of us who want true information. THANK YOU, POSTERS!

15. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

16. carol

carol New Member

I have heel pain so bad right now have to go see doctor today. can hardly walk. burning sensation in left heel on bottom and back of foot. I did have surgery 10 weeks ago and all was well up until I tried to stretch the heel a bit on Monday as told by physical therapist and now it is so bad cannot stand it. back on pain meds too. I'll let you know what doctor says today.

17. fingmachine

fingmachine Guest

I have read the likely causes of the pain I am experiencing for now 3 days, stone bruise, plantar fasciitis (subcalcaneal pain), heel spur and the Achilles related retrocalcaneal bursitis.

The pain, which is considerable, feels to me like bruise pain. Feels like I jumped on a rock with barefeet... something I don't recall. Old shoes, maybe!

As I walk my fingers across my heel with firm pressure to pinpoint the area of pain, starting at the front (toward my toes) and moving toward the back of the heel; pain on the 'bottom' of my heel only exists at the very back edge... but increases significantly as I come around the inside edge. If I had to describe the exact location, it would be on the outer corner of the inside edge of the back of my heel. (lol)

I read the stretches, icing, rest, etc. With no insurance and little $$, I will never see a doctor unless unconscious and taken without my consent so I guess I'm just here to complain... about the pain. I can't walk. It doesn't hurt more in the morning. It hurts now, elevated or not - and now on day 4 cannot be touched. Why in the world would a bruise get worse? I put on super comfy and supportive shoes but haven't put much body weight on the foot for a day or two.
    Anyway, for those of us who can't afford medicine and will be back at work on Monday - best of luck.

_kp

18. TOG Orthotics

TOG Orthotics New Member

Sounds not unlike plantar fasciitis, although check with a qualified podiatrist. There are a few options you can try at home, at your own discretion:

• Stretching exercises. Exercises that stretch out the calf muscles help ease pain and assist with recovery.
    • Avoid going barefoot. When you walk without shoes, you put undue strain and stress on your plantar fascia.
    • Ice. Putting an ice pack on your heel for 20 minutes several times a day helps reduce inflammation. Place a thin towel between the ice and your heel; do not apply ice directly to the skin.
    • Limit activities. Cut down on extended physical activities to give your heel a rest.
    • Shoe modifications. Wearing supportive shoes that have good arch support and a slightly raised heel reduces stress on the plantar fascia.
    • Medications. Oral nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), such as ibuprofen, may be recommended to reduce pain and inflammation.

If you still have pain after several weeks, you might want to see a foot and ankle surgeon.

19. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hi, I am just wondering if anyone has found relief from this pain? I am suffering from the same thing and it is unbearable. I have been walking 4 miles a day for 4 months. For the past month and a half I have started running a bit and decreased the distance to about 3 1/2 miles a day. I do this in addition to 500 jumping jacks, squats, light weight training, and indoor elliptical for 45 minutes in bad weather.
    The past 3 weeks however I have had awful knee pain followed by this heel pain. I have tried to vary my routine, rest, and nothing is working, short of not working out at all which is not an option. This is so frustrating!
    Reading all of these posts seeing that the doctors don't even know what the cause is, is only making me more frustrated. Yesterday I gave up after 1 1/2 miles and I still can't lie down and have my feet touch eachother.
    My daughter went through something similar w/o the "touch" pain and her pain was solved w/ arch supports and she was diagnosed w/ achilles tendonitis. She also has Brooks sneakers and wears arch supports while playing soccer and has not had it reoccur. This does not sound the same.
    If anyone has any update I'd really like to hear from you.
    Thank you so much

20. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I wonder why no-one has thought of the possibility of gout. For me, I have the same symptoms and was feeling gout was the problem.