1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Painful bump

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Nov 2, 2008.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I had a small hard bump on my heel that hurt when pressure was applied. It felt like a callous/corn. Well I scraped it down and it felt better but now it is hurting again. The bump is gone but it hurts when I put pressure on it. Sometimes it looks a little red around the area and then an hour later it is fine with no pain. Could I have some infection and what should I watch for? I can't afford to go to the doctor at this time. If this were an infection, wouldn't it be getting worse not occasionally better than worse again? Any help is appreciated.

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS- ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    As usual, I can only speak to this issue in general terms, which are based entirely on statistical likeliness related to my previous experience, and should in no way be inferred to necessarily address your individual situation. So if we can look at these symptoms and findings as completely disassociated from your personal situation, and simply consider that which they might be consistent in a theoretically similar case, I would suggest that a likely situation might be that, as it looked like a callous, as it is not in an area where bony prominences generally cause callouses, when scraped down there is no mention of bleeding, the pain was then mitigated for a while, but that now, although the callous has not yet returned, there is some pain recurrence and some off and on slight redness, in such a situation, I would initially look for an irritation source in the insole of the shoe . . perhaps a nail poking through, or an embedded pebble or a roughness in the sock liner. But clearly, redness and pain can, though not exclusively so, be associated with infection, and the safest course of action would be to have it professionally evaluated by examination.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2008
  3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Re: Heel Infection

I have a callous area covering my whole heel. The infected areas of the heel is hard and painful and in the shape of a horseshoe outlining the whole heel. I have been suffering with constant itching. The callous is so thick that I have to shave it down with a ped egg or razor blade. Once I shaved the callous down to a thin surface I can finally scratch to soothe the itching. But it never stops itching. I have no health insurance to afford to see a doctor.

This has been going on for 3 years in August. I am losing sleep over my heel constantly itching and burning. Lamisil dosen't work to make it go away, it just moisturizes.

Dr. can you tell me what is this condition? How can I get relief itching, especially at bedtime? What should I use to cure the callous? I had a pilonatal cyst and was told that
    I have MRSA. Could this be the culprit? It only started after I moved to Florida.
    Could the Florida climate, or the beaches have anything to do with it? Help!

4. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS-ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    The hallmarks of a local infection generally include pain, heat, redness and the accumulation of pus. You have mentioned none of this in your description, so, perhaps you have jumped to the incorrect conclusion that you have an infection. I can't tell you from the information you have supplied as to why you have either itching or a thick callous, and as you are losing sleep and need to have this issue resolved, perhaps you can re-prioritize your spending and find some money to pay for a doctor visit for at least a diagnosis. I am sure there are expenditures that you incur and pay for for items and services which are less important than your health and well being.

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I too have a similar problem. the bump hurts alot when pressure is applied. there is no discoloration, though it does have a look and feel of a callous.