1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Numbness in toes/feet with purpleish sores??

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi~
    I have scheduled an appt with my GP for tomorrow but am curious if anyone has any idea what this *might* be or specific questions I should ask while at my appt tomorrow? Here is a general run down before I answer the sticky questions below. The numbness and bruise looking small sores are spreading to more toes and the outside of my foot down from the pinky toe to where the outer calus is. Occasionally even the bottom of one of my heels will go numb also but there are no sores there. I haven't changed ANY footware for 2+ years. My socks are the same too. The 2nd toe on the right foot by the toe nail and underneath the toe on the pad looks swollen. If I had to describe it I would say it looks like what I would think very mild frostbite looks like. The purpleish sores seem to be the pinacle of the numbness and it spreads out from there, like the purple tissue is actually dead/necrotic or dying and now spreading. When I take a shower I notice that the water feels hot on the areas where the numbness meets the un-numb skin, like it would after being out in the cold for a long time...kind of painful. And when I am finished showering my ankles and feet are all purple looking with pink splotches here and there. It makes me think of my feet full of blood which cannot then go back up my legs for some reason.? I also have done a urine glucose dip stick (my Dad is diabetic) and it is fine! I do have a kidney disease called IgA Nephropathy and I don't think this is related as it is in remission. Okay now I will answer the questions from the sticky in order:
    where does it hurt--It hurts when I push on the purpleish/redish sores...the sores actually look more like tiny bruises as they aren't 'open' or 'oozing' or anything like that. It also hurts a little where the numbness meets the un-numb skin.

how long has it hurt for--This has been going on for 2 months now. First it was just my big toe and the one next to it that I would notice were going numb or always freezing and only the big toe on the left foot. It then spread farther down the trunk (??lol) of my toe and then to the 3rd &4th toe on the right and the 2nd & 3rd on the left!

how bad is the pain--not too bad, it only really bugs me when I am on my feet for 20min or longer. Since I am a stay-at-home Mom, I just take breaks when it really starts to bother me. It hurts when the carpet touches the numb/sores on the toes though.

what where you doing when it started--I have no idea! It was gradual and it actually took me a week or longer to take off my shoe/sock and look at the area, which is when I noticed the purple sores on the sides & bottom of my 2nd toe and on the tip of the big toe. At first it looked a little swollen so I made sure my toe nails weren't digging in or growing in. That is when I really noticed how numb my toe was and how bad the sore hurt when I touched it!

what have you done for it so far--I have made sure to wear a slipper type shoe while running my daughter to school and I don't wear shoes in my house which is where I am at for the most part of the day. I have began wearing socks all of the time though since the carpet hurts the toes so bad and they are always freezing.

anything relieve it--It feels better when I put my feet up, not above my heart but in a reclining chair with them out.

what have you been told about it so far--Nothing really, other than my sister who is an ER nurse says she thinks I need to be seen for it. She hasn't seen it before and thinks it is strange.

is it affecting your ability to work or play sport--Well I feel like I have to take breaks while doing my regular house cleaning, cooking etc.

do you have any other sorts of symptoms--I have been under s LOT of stress lately and have lost about 15lbs. I am 5'8" and weigh 131lbs now, which is too thin if you ask me but I am working on eating properly and more often. I have also been struggling with diarrhea which is totally stress related also.

what country you are in (different countries have different health systems; different scopes of practice of different disciplines; access to care might be different)--United States

Thanks for reading this too LONG post:) I appreciate any thoughts on what this might be and I know that you cannot diagnose over the internet which is why I have the appt. with the GP tomorrow and will probably get referred to a neurologist from there. I would still like your opinions on the matter or *possible*:) thoughts about probable diagnosis:)
    Thanks again,
    E

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  2. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Well, no one posted back to my questions before I went to my GP appt. She is running blood tests and referring me to a vascular Dr. Her thoughts were Raynauds syndrome possibly.? She did say however that with Raynauds the onset isn't so sudden like with my issues. Only time will tell though.
    E

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Did you ever figure out what was wrong? it sounds very similar to a problem i have, and am curious. i feel i should go see a doc on the subject