1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

wondering about recovery time post ankle tendon transfer

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by TLD, Jun 14, 2009.

1. TLD

TLD New Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I tore my spring ligament 3 years ago and have used a brace prescribed by my Orthopedic Surgeon. I have started having swelling on the inside of my ankle and increasing pain. This pain wakes me up at night in spite of trying ibuprofen and now celebrex. I am going back to the brace guy this week per the Ortho Doc's request to see if there is a different brace that he thinks might support my ankle better.
    The Dr says the tendon that supports my arch, now that my ligament won't, is stressed. He discussed possible surgery with a bone graft(either cadaver or my own from the foot area) to the outside of the foot and a tendon transfer on the inner ankle(if a new brace is not effective).
    So now that you have some background, my question: How long is the recovery time from this type of surgery(I know I will be Non weight bearing for 6 weeks). I work 12 hour shifts on my feet and am wondering how much time to plan being off work(a rolling brace is not an option because of working conditions).
    Thanks for any advice. I know you can only give me the "norms" and not what my recovery will be :)

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS- ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    I have real concerns when I see questions such as this being thrown out to those who cannot possibly have the specific information which a competent surgeon would be expected to consider in order to offer a knowledgeable response. Those factors would include:

1. The precise type of surgery intended.
    2. Mitigating circumstances
    3. An evaluation of the patient's medical and physical status and judgment of his/her ability to heal.
    4. His/her own experience with whatever procedure is intended and personal past results including healing times.

"Norm" are irrelevant as you have a doctor who is ostensibly going to perform the procedure to his/her level of skill and thus needs to base any such prognosis as you are asking on personal experience. In my view, if your are not comfortable obtaining these answers from your own surgeon, you should be having a second hands-on opinion or possibly be considering another doctor. This is certainly NOT your expectation of an answer in having asked your question here, but I can assure you that my answer is most responsible if not satisfying.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
  3. TLD

TLD New Member

In my post I stated 6 weeks Non weight bearing followed by possibly 3-4 months of rehab. I'm just wondering in general what other peoples experiences have been given the best case senario. I'm not asking for medical advice as I have a competent surgeon. He and I are just in the - if the brace doesn't help here is how I would attempt to fix it stage. So I'm trying to get a sense of how long before I would really be back to work. I know this can only be general and not specific to me.

4. DMB

DMB Guest

Re: recovery time post ankle tendon transfer

I had my surgery on may 27th and i went into a softcast for 2 weeks, a hard cast for 4 weeks and then a walking boot for 4 weeks. . next i will go into a AFO which is like a brace that fits into your shoe. I dont know what kind of work you do but i am gettin around in the boot good eneugh to go out and work. . again if you do hard physical labor it may take you longer.

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

my surgery was on Feb 3,2012,what kind of physical therapy is needed, and how much is too much walking ? Since Ive been riding my bike my ankle seems to getting more flexible, but as far as my right foot lifting my body,no can do. Where do I begin?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012