1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Sesamoidectomy help

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Chuckster, Oct 17, 2014.

1. Chuckster

Chuckster New Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi all,

I am scheduled for a tibial (medial) sesamoidectomy this December and wanted to hear from people that have been through this surgery. I want to know if I'll be able to play basketball again or even run. I am 24 and have avn of the tibial sesamoid. Please post your experiences (all good I hope).

2. ladyoracle

ladyoracle New Member

Best of luck with your surgery. I had this procedure done in April of 2013, along with a bunionectomy and second (hammer) toe fusion to allow a plantar plate tear to heal... Because I had so much done to my foot simultaneously, my "recovery" process has been quite bumpy. I also have the tendency to scar internally to a great degree, so that adds to my chronic pain issues... I have been in and out of a boot for the past year again, mainly due to mechanical stress from not knowing how to walk properly or properly strengthen the foot post-op. I ended up with a contusion on my first metatarsal head, as now that the sesamoid is not there to "cushion" it, it is much more exposed. I have also experienced fat pad atrophy, and I already had bony feet! ;) My surgeon had assured me I would not need PT, but I pushed for it as soon as I could last year, so I would recommend that you do the same. Removing a sesamoid is not "simple", and it can have major "side effects" for some people, depending upon your type of foot (do you have a high arch, for instance?), biomechanics, level of strength going into the surgery, etc. I had already been injured for 8 months before my last doc even figured out what was wrong with me, and by then, the injury had progressed greatly--involving the ligament as well as the sesamoid. If you feel that you have exhausted ALL conservative measures, I would say go for the surgery and it will hopefully restore your mobility, relieve your pain, and get you back to playing basketball. As I said, my case is unusual, as I had three procedures done at once, plus hardware removed from my foot just a few months ago... I believe I will always have chronic pain, and I only wish my surgeon had given me a bit more information going into it, rather than leaving me to do research after the fact, when I realized I was not recovering the way I had anticipated. You can still be active no matter what might transpire, though, just remember that! You will learn to use your upper body in different ways, your core, your muscles overall. Even after surgery, I would recommend keeping your core strong--I started exercising about two days after my major surgery, simply doing chair-boxing, core workouts, etc. Just make certain to CONSTANTLY elevate your foot when you are not up and about post-op! Ice will be your friend, and make certain to stay on top of your pain with meds--it is essential to your healing process! If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me as well! I am a wealth of information after enduring foot issues for two plus years now! ;) Foot surgery is no small thing, so take it very seriously and do your research. Ask questions, reach out for support as much as you need to!

3. Chuckster

Chuckster New Member

Thanks for the response, I will pm you. Btw, has your hallux drifted at all? And if you don't mind me asking which surgeon did you use for your surgery?

4. KaraP

KaraP New Member

Good luck with it

5. ladyoracle

ladyoracle New Member

My hallux has not drifted b/c my OS "suggested" that I have the bunionectomy along with the sesamoidectomy and second toe fusion/plantar plate tear. It was definitely not the right decision for me...

6. Chuckster

Chuckster New Member

Sorry to hear that. Do you think a sesamoidectomy alone would've helped instead of all 3 procedures at once?

7. ladyoracle

ladyoracle New Member

Not for my type of foot, I don't believe. Also, I needed the plantar plate tear repaired (that was horrifically painful to live with before it was fixed!), which meant fusing my second toe... The bunionectomy, I could have done without! ;)

8. Chuckster

Chuckster New Member

Can I ask why you needed the sesamoidectomy in the first place? I hope your pain subsides soon, and I appreciate the honesty and help.

9. ladyoracle

ladyoracle New Member

It was fractured... For months before anyone diagnosed it properly. Thanks! I wish you much luck. It sounds like yours is more straightforward, so hopefully all will return to normal sooner rather than later!