1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Club Foot

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Jul 21, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I was born in 1959 with a club foot. things had been going pretty normal till the last couple of years, now I have a lot of pain in my ankle. I have been going to my foot DR. who has been giving me a shot in it every six weeks, he is wanting to fuse the bones but I said I need to wait cause I am a fire fighter and I have to put on my boots. does anyone know of any help?

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS- ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE
    READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.

A real club foot is a serious deformity which is best dealt with aggressively very early in life. But there are many who use that term when they have actually had something quite less serious. You have not related any history of treatment which might have rendered you "pretty normal" until now. But cases of actual club foot are individualized to the extent of original deformity, the approach employed in its mitigation, the degree of success and the residual deficit, if any. A forum such as this is not an appropriate venue for offering such case-specific information as you request. If you are looking for other opinions as to the best approach at this time, it will be necessary for you to consult other qualified doctors for a hands-on examination and evaluation.

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

When I was born the DR, Karlson in Knoxville Tn used the casting that is talked about and I also wore a shoe with a brace on till I was in the second or third grade. Thanks Duane

4. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

It sounds as if you had conservative treatment for the deformity, but I am still wondering whether you had an actual full-blown clubfoot or if you had some other lesser deformity which was generically discussed as a clubfoot throughout your life. But none of that is germane to the question which you ask, which can only be responsibly answered after and based on a hands-on evaluation with the full gamut of diagnostic techniques available. Any response given to you with lesser information would not be worth the cyberspace it's written in.

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

We are about the same age. I had bilateral Ponseti proceedure done when I was 18 months. The last two years have been awful. I can't walk when I get out of bed in the morning as the pain in my heel/ankle is so bad. I have tried PT, Yoga, bicycle to no avail. I really think that there must be a doctor out there who would specialize in this, or at least know what they are talking about. The last one told me the bump on my heel was from my shoe rubbing! Any one know of a doctor? I am on the East Coast and willing to travel.

6. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I am 44 and for the last 4 years have been trying to live with the pain many of you are describing. I had 7 surgeries from toddler to 10 yrs of age for bilateral club feet,,, no pain until around 40 years old. I posted on here around a year ago looking for a solution and after taking different medications I have seen a remarkable difference this last week after taking Gabapentin for the past month. I have also been taking off the shelf Glucosamine/Chrondroitin from Walgreens. At this point I'm not positive but I suspect that the Gabapentin is what is helping. I did not see any difference in the pain until around 3 to 4 weeks of taking these medications. I have created an email address for those of you who would like to contact me at JR760@Outlook.com. I've prayed for a cure as I know many of you have and am hopeful God has helped me find it. May God bless each of you and help you through this.

7. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I am a 66 yr. old male who had 2 surgeries on the left foot & 3 on the right foot by the time I was 6 yrs. old. Obviously the Ponseti method was not available in the early '50's. Until about Jr. High I had virtually no problems -ran, took gym class where I played basketball, baseball, did the old "jumping jacks", etc. By 10th grade the pain started. Basically, standing or running would cause pain in both ankle joints. So I was not able to complete gym class in HS. I consulted my original orthopedic surgeon who recommended playing tennis!!! (He was a lifelong player) Pounding my feet & joints on concrete/hard surfaces was not my idea of a cure. Took PE in college & the instructor was great. He was a PhD & had studied physiology,etc. Basically gave me a special program of activities along w/ swimming & handball. NO MORE JUMPING JACKS or running around the gym. Had a great time & it worked. Over the years I consulted two different orthopedists who both gave the same opinion: they were now seeing patients in their 40's+ who'd had the surgery (fairly new at the time) & had the same symptoms I had (& that you all describe); they could perform additional surgery but it would likely leave me much more limited than I am now. They advised that many patients had more severe problems than I had (& at a much earlier age) & to count myself lucky. So unless the pain became unbearable, just do nothing other than moderate walking. From what they said & the comments on various forums, I have to agree w/ them. I can walk briskly for a mile or so & only become somewhat tired. But if I stand or walk slowly (like in a shopping mall or around a store) for only 20 mins, the ankle joints ache & sometimes the pain shoot up the back of the calves. I have never tried prescription meds. Tylenol helps some, but a Foot Fixer water massager has always helped me. Also, a tub soak esp. w/ a jacuzzi or water jets. Not a perfect solution but I do feel somewhat better the next day. Funny thing, tho, when I used to walk too much then get up the next day, my feet/ankles would ache for 3-4 days. Now, for some reason, I can be in pain later the same after walking, get up the next morning & the pain virtually disappears. Go figure.

8. I was born with a club foot and walked on it without much discomfort or pain until my twenties. I had corrective surgery done when I was twenty four but it seemed to only make my problem worse. I have had to wear a variety of braces and taken so many different type of medicines for the pain that i have experienced in this foot. My orthopedic doctor has been trying to convince me to have surgery but the risks are just to great and I do not have a support system to help me through the long and intensive process for recovery as well as I am a single parent. I have been dealing with everything from nerve pain, degenerative arthritic pain, and no diagnosis pain. The last brace I was in was like a "Forest Gump" brace with the metal bars connected to my shoes. My foot was swelling and curving more causing a bone to begin rubbing agains the bars of the brace. So I was then casted for a Arizona brace which relieved the problem but created a whole new set of problem. Neuroma which I took everything from Gabapentin to Lyrica with no relief. Finally a neurologist gave me a cream called EMLA. It is a miracle working drug. Unfortunately, I am now dealing with another beast of arthritis pain from wearing the Arizona brace. My Orthopedic doctor says my only option for pain relief is surgery. I do not want surgery. There is only a 65% chance of improvement; 100% chance additional surgery will be needed; There is also the chance of not healing and blood clots. Does anyone know of any other options available for pain relief in a severely arthritic, neuropathic, club foots?

9. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I also had surgery on my feet as a baby for club feet. I am 26 and the pain is so severe at times. I also have turned in hips . My knees kill me. Sometimes I feel 80, I was wondering why tree I can do. I do not want to end up like my mom in so much pain every day. My sister has turned in hips also , even my two year old niece has very mild club feet. I had no clue how strong this gene is. I am willing to try anything I'm tired of the pain. Thanks

10. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hi,

My feet were normal when I was born. I had lower strength in my feet as I grew older, say when i was 6 yrs old, I had difficulty at drill classes and then it was observed i walked a bit on my outer side of the feet, so i was taken to AIIMs hospital, Delhi, and the doctors said I have CTEV. the doctor operated on my feet, put it in casts for 2 months, and when I was out i was wearing calliper shoes. This was in 1988. there was no proper information, i kept wearing normal shoes, especially used ones by my brother. As I have grown older I have found increasing difficulty. In 2007 I started wearing sandals with a bit of lateral wedge, so my feet became straight and I could walk. But I couldnt do many activities like walking on rocky surface or water. Finally, in 2009 I found these AFO which are for club feet deformity patients. Due to my feet weakness, I used to sprain my right foot and fall on my left knee, this caused a clean fracture of the patella in 2009. I do feel some weakness in my left knee still. So wonder what treatment can help my cause?

I am 34 now and have been wearing these corrective footwear and then normal shoes. What I have noticed is I get corns at the bottom and bullion near my toe, all created due to pressure of the corrective footwear. All these problems are in my right foot. left is better than right. My right feet also hurts very badly after walking for 2 hrs or so. I have heard acupuncture can help. I am from India, leaving in bangalore. I am not sure if surgery at my age will help.

Can you help?

Thanks.