1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

navicular nonunion

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Oct 1, 2009.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I slipped at work over a year ago. The screw and navicular bone broke in half. The first surgery entailed removing the broken srew. After 12 weeks of nonweight bearing and use of a bone stimulator, I was sent back to work but pain persisted. A CT showed a nonunion. I had Surgery by a second surgeon wth 2 screws and stem cells. I sustained nerve damage but a vascular ultrsound showed norml blood flow. The fracture after one year and 4 months is less than 1mm wide and 4mm long. Can bone cement be an option?

Thank you

2. CrazyBare

CrazyBare New Member

OUCH. I broke my left navicular bone in Feb 1st 09. After 8 weeks of non-weight bearing in a fiberglass cast, and then another 4 weeks non-weight bearing in an air boot, and 4 weeks of physio, it re-broke on June 1st. Another 6 weeks in fiberglass walking cast and 3 weeks in a walking air boot, 4 more weeks of physio, and I'm able to walk, but not without pain. I can no longer navigate going down stairs, nor can I walk fast without a limp. Seems the ball of my foot can not support my weight at all. I am able to move the joints, but not with any weight on them.
    I'm on Workman's Comp at the moment and they have just deemed me "Long Term Disability" and not able to work. They are going to send me to a foot clinic in Toronto, and a job re-assessment clinic in Barrie.
    No one has mentioned non-union, but the x-rays are very clear and even I can see that although it has fused from the original x-ray, it isn't at all as it should be.
    I never had an MRI or CT scan only foot x-rays. My question is: What are the options might I have? Is there some surgery or orthotics that will relieve the pain and allow me to walk again?

3. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

To all folks who might be reading this thread:
    Forums are not appropriate venues for offering responsible recommendations or opinions as to how complications which clearly have to be evaluated on their individual merits might be properly addressed or what prognoses might be reasonably expected. Far better to spend your time pursuing measures to assure yourself that you have a competent and experienced doctor whose opinion you can respect and rely upon. Any truly responsible doctor who is attempting to offer appropriate information in an Internet forum is not going to involve him/herself in shoot-from-the-hip answers to questions like these which cannot possible be based on the case-specific data which he/she would demand regarding his/her private patients.