1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Pain located mid outside foot area

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by MikeG, Nov 19, 2008.

1. MikeG

MikeG New Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I just started to get serious about running over the past couple months. My last run was 5miles and conducted over some hills one being large. Another item to mention is some of the run had to be conducted on unpredictable terain when the sidewalk ended.

I exp pain when standing still with weight on the injured foot and when walking. The pain is somewhat bearable when I position the weight evenly across the foot, but increases when i roll the weight to the outside edge of the side of my foot. I would like to try and understand what I may have done so that I can prevent it. Is it just an anomoly or is it my shoes not supportive enough?

Ironically I do not experience discomfort when light jogging or using the elyptical, although I have not performed either of those for extended periods rather I just tested it to see.

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

Athletic endeavors typically have the potential for causing injury, but pain is not a diagnosis, and an essentially blind guess as to what the specifics of the cause might be before a diagnosis is made is not a very productive way to go. As this is a new sport activity for you, which ostensibly you would like to learn to perform properly, wouldn't a trip to a podiatrist or orthopedist who has a special interest and expertise in sports medicine be a worthwhile expenditure, rather than relying on information from those who are not in a position to supply it to you, and which, if taken anyhow, might possibly cause more problems than result in help?

3. MikeG

MikeG Guest

I completely agree and if this discomfort doesn't start to get better a trip to the doctor will be made. I did not come to www.foot-health-forum.com to get a diagnosis of my condition or to necessarily get advice on how to treat a condition to bypass seeing a professional. My goal for this inquiry is to learn more about what "might" have happened and also what I possibly did to cause the irritation. This is pure curiosity at this point. I enjoy learning about these topics and what muscles/tendons/bones I potentially destroyed so that I am a little bit more informed of my body.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2008
  4. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

But you are asking specifically what might cause a problem which has not been identified other than by your having painful symptoms. Until the actual physical cause of the pain is determine, it is cart-before-horse to speculate on the mechanism of an unidentified injury. There is really nothing to work on other here than unsupported conjecture.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
  5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I agree with the person asking the question. He just wanted your opinion or your insight on what might be causing or caused his problem. He is looking for ideas or opinions and not a professional diagnosis. Even if we're not looking for diagnosis but for opinions/insights you, Mr. Foot Doctor, should not be using that name since you didn't provide one single helpful hint/thought to the asker. If you're going to be sending anyone directly to a podiatrist without providing your thoughts first, why does this forum even exist. You should ALWAYS send people to see a professional but at least say something about their cases/issues.

6. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

I have stated over and over again (in fact, once again earlier today) what I deem to be the appropriate purpose of this forum, and the manner in which I, as a volunteer contributor, will offer my professional opinions here. I suggest you read that and other posts where I have explained precisely that. Apparently you have come here with what I would deem to be unreasonable expectations, but that does not mean that I will back away from what I believe to be both my professional purpose and ethics. If you do not find my information useful, then your are certainly free to seek another source.