1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Corn, Calcification, Surgery

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Pat Mira, Sep 26, 2009.

1. Pat Mira

Pat Mira New Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hello, I had a corn for a long time on the baby toe which after more trauma from a sandal, got larger. The podiatrist took an x-ray and said it was a calcification or maybe a cyst. He surgically removed a calcification and inflamation per the pathology report. It did not involve the bone. He said his guess it was gout material, but I have never had a gout episode. His comment on the lab report was "very interesting". I am still recovering from the surgery. I have a morton toe on this foot and he said it is not the cause of the corn. He said the corn was from whatever was under the corn on the baby toe. Was the corn caused by the morton toe or the calcification on the toe that was growing over time?

On the other foot (left), I showed the doctor what looked like a small callus (from the same sandals) on the middle of the right side of the great toe and he just said "hmmmm". Now the bump is bigger after I was pressing on it to feel what it is, probably the size of a dime. Why all of a sudden am I getting this which seems to be from pressure? This week, I showed him the bump is bigger after feeling it, and he said "we'll have to watch it." Could it be another calcification developing? In August I was in the hospital with a hand infection for four days with 3 different IV antibiotics. Am I more susceptible to inflamation because of that incident? I can't wear any shoes now except thongs which I am sure I will be wearing through winter, which won't be too bad. I'm in San Francisco, CA.

Thank you.
    Pat

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS- ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    Having removed the actual tissue and gotten a pathology report, one should not have to "guess" as to whether it was gouty "material." I would like to hear the actual language of the pathology report instead of what your doctor told you about them. I am very dubious when I hear that a patient was told that something was a "calcification" or a "calcium deposit." That's something that doctors often think patients will understand, even if it is not actually correct. I am certainly in no position to say what it was or was not, but I far greater respect a doctor who says, "I don't know" than "hmmmm" or "we'll have to watch it." Do you maybe get the feeling that perhaps your doctor is guessing about to many things?

Last edited: Sep 26, 2009
  3. Pat Mira

Pat Mira New Member

Thank you for your response. Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. During the exision the doctor remarked that if he had to guess what it is, it looks like gout and has chalky material. They showed me what was removed, which looked like a gold nugget, only it was cream colored. I couldn't tell if it was hard or soft. I will get a copy of the pathology report and let you know what it says. The doctor said the report indicated calcification and inflamation and no uremic acid. I asked if the bone was okay and he said he didn't need to go down to the bone to remove the calcification. He x-rayed the toe at the post-op visit and it shows the calcification is gone.

On the foot with the surgery, I am getting swelling or inflamation, or something, which would be in the bunion area, only it seems to be on the top rather than the side. It also seems to react to the pressure of me feeling it lightly, by increasing in size. At the post op visit one week after surgery, I pointed out the slight increase in size at this area and asked what it is. The doctor said "I don't know. A bunion maybe." I also asked him if he wanted to x-ray the left foot bump on the great toe and that is when he said "No. We'll have to watch it."

Yes, the doctor seems unsure. I have scheduled a physical with my primary on October 12. He specializes in arthritis and unfortunately thinks everything is arthritis related, but at least I will have blood work done. I would like to note that I have taken iron supplements for the last two years until August 1. Could this be from an iron overload? I also took calcium (1,000 mg daily) and magnesium for 6 months for an eyelid spasm that would not go away. It worked wonderfully and I stopped taking that about April 2009. I asked the doctor if the iron or calcium caused the calcification and he said "Nope". He was sure about that, but I'm not.

Thank you.
    Pat