1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

5th metatarsal broken at the mid-shaft

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Nov 25, 2008.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Need advice!!!

I had an accident at the beach on my vacations in Puerto Rico, I was hit by a huge wave that knocked me down to a rock, this cause the 5th metatarsal bone to break at the mid-shaft with displacement and also it’s a long horizontal breakage. This happen back on 8/30/08, I was referred to a Sport Med Surgeon, he recommended a conservative option (cast) or surgery. I opted to try the cast for about 6 weeks or so. By 10/7/08 I got x-rays done but there was no sign of callus growing. At that point the doctor decide I need it surgery, but it was not approved to be done at PR so, I got back to NY with a walking cast. The new doctor (also a Sport Med Surgeon) told me to wear timberland boots for a month before making a decision to perform the surgery. I did but when I was using the walking cast I did not had pain but since I started walking again my foot is getting swelling and I've been having pain and redness at the injury area, also I get pain going up my leg after walking. Do you think that walking on my foot aggravated the injury or this is normal?

Thanks in advance for your response.

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS- ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    Although I certainly cannot speak with reliability to your individual case, I think that it is a reasonable assumption to make that if one had a non-union of the fracture as originally treated, then with weight-bearing without adequate immobilization of the fracture site it would be expected that the condition would be aggravated.

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Thanks for your promt reply. I really apreciate the time you had taken to answer my question. It really helps to know other people opinion, so we could ask the proper questions to our doctors. I when back to my doctor and had new x-rays, it looks that is healing slowly. As I had explian on my previous message it has a displacement and it looks like it did not moved or moved closer or changed at all. Is this ok to heal like that? My doctor said is healing fine, but I still have discomfort when walking or standing for long periods of time and my heal is hurting as well.

Thanks again....
    Janet

4. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS- ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    Certainly, fractures heal faster and easier if the fracture segments are completely reduced and well stabilized. I don't know how much displacement you had or on what basis your doctor decided that neither a closed nor open reduction was necessary, but that is something to discuss with him/her. I have not uncommonly seen cases where reductions were not performed (usually due to much delayed or absent professional treatment) which eventually healed well and the fracture site had eventually remodeled effecting a decrease in deformity of the bone. If your doctor says that it's healing fine, and you have confidence in his/her work and opinion, then I suppose you have your answer, as, with the very limited I know about your case, I am certainly in no position to dispute his/her opinion in the matter.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
  5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hello,
    I too broke my fifth metatarsal at mid shaft by falling down 3 stairs. The E.R. gave me crutches and put a splint on. They told me no weight on the foot at all! The pain is minor since they gave me hydrocodone. Unfortunately, I can not get in to see an orthopedic until Monday morning at the earliest. I will be out of hydrocodone friday. I have no allergic reactions to any medication and am taken nothing other than the hydrocodone. Any suggestions on what pain meds I can take for over the weekend?
    Thanks!

6. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS-ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    Over the counter pain medications are all about equally as good. They either contain aspirin or Tylenol (acetaminophen) or are an NSAID such as Motrin, Aleve, etc. If one has no special medical problems, is not allergic to one or the other and has no gastrointestinal issue or medication conflicts, he/she could probably do just as well blind folded in the analgesic isle of the drug store.

7. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I would go with Tylenol. Don't do the blind folded thing unless you're really brave. I once tried that and left with vagisil. Embarrasing when you check out at the counter.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  8. chainsaw

chainsaw New Member

don't walk on it!!! i broke mine june 26th this year, was tossed into an air cast, 3 weeks in saw the surgeon and now i'm in a fiberglass cast, and see him in 2 weeks for xrays and to hear how i'm healing up. tylenol 3's was what i was prescribed, then morphene pills (never took them...), but now that my t3's are out, i take a normal, extra strength tylenol, 2 at a time or 1, depending on the level i'm at. as long as my foot is up, the swelling is completely down, and it feels good,...go to hobble around on my crutches, and it's like a balloon. best thing...do what the doctor tells ya. you only have 2 feet, don't muck it up! write any q's down, and take it in when you go to see the doc next. i was told to do that, and it's helped me greatly.
    hope you heal up soon!

9. unregistered

unregistered Guest

I broke my 5th metatarsal this past Sunday along with a nasty ankle sprain of my right foot (lost my footing on the stairs). It is fractured mid-shaft (not a stress fracture) but not displaced. The orthopedic surgeon put me in a cam boot to the knee and gave me crutches. I am 42 and find the crutches quite difficult. The boot keeps my foot in an uncomfortable position and often my toes go numb (like the feeling of when your foot falls asleep). It's not too tight, as I have loosened it when I have it elevated. The whole experience has just been so frustrating being limited pretty much completely in any daily activity. I am a mother of 2 school age kids. My husband has been a huge help to me when he is home, but while at work, I find myself so helpless. Does anyone have an alternative suggestion to crutches for a little more mobility? I was told 6-8 weeks recovery time. I am hoping that doesn't mean completely non-weight bearing the entire time.

10. VickieAnn

VickieAnn New Member

I rented a knee walker and it has worked out very well. They aren't cheap but my insurance is paying for part of it. I broke mine on July 20 and only missed 2 1/2 days of work because I had this walker. If you don't know what they are just google knee walker. Someone on one of the other forums also spoke about some sort of chair they got at Target that helped them get around.

11. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I broke 5th Metatarsal mid shaft 2 weeks ago, which is displaced, had a fibre glass cast on for a week but got neuroma in my toes, had it replaced with plaster cast but neuroma returned almost immediately, had to cut it off to relieve the pain. Now I just have strap on my foot, but have no pain, is this ok? could you suggest any other option

12. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

While I realize that the poster who said this is likely long gone from this board, I must say that quip made me laugh out loud.

No mean feat since I haven't found much to chuckle at lately...I broke my 5th metatarsal mid-shaft on Christmas morning on the way home from church (dh HAD to stop to check for mail at neighborhood box: slick street, close to curb, wearing slides and me being in a rush to get home to play Santa do not mix - wish I had those ten seconds back!)

I didn't realize I'd broken anything and didn't see a podiatrist until Jan 2. Silly me, I thought if I could move all my toes, I'd just sprained the foot. Son had wisdom teeth surgery on Dec 28, so I'd been trudging up and down the stairs for DAYS before I realized that if the brusing was gone over the site where swelling began, but a bit of pain was still there, something really might be wrong. Duh.

Doc put me in an econo-paste wrap covered with coban, said to change it every three days, wear a flat bottomed velcro shoe I had from a previous bunionectomy and come back in two weeks. Not a word about staying off of it...but after reading through this forum, I'm thinking I'd better try. Hope everyone who came here before me has healed properly and are pain-free and that my own recovery is SWIFT! 'Cause sticky pink bandages - and now imobility - are making me grumpy.

13. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Reading all these posts has made me feel a little bit better, as I'm suffering thru months of casts and crutches due to this foot injury. I have a bone stimulator now and I'll know if it's working on my next doctor visit. I can't believe how others got their injuries...such simple things as mine was. I don't feel so depressed now that I've read that I'm not ALONE.

14. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Not so funny, I broke my foot playing basketball jumping on 23 Dec 12. I knew it was broke because I heard a loud snap. I continued to play but couldn’t cut like wanted and it was painfully. Went to the emergency room then a week later saw the orthopedic surgeon who had me in a walking boot but I wasn’t supposed to walk in it. After one month I had an x-ray which showed the bone was healing on the ends but not in the middle. So she made me wear the boot another 8 weeks and come back for another x-ray on 1 April 12. If it’s healing I’m good if not it’s surgery. I feel better but my foot still swells and I have pain at the site. I’m a little concerned that the pain will get worse as I start to try and run or walk long distances on the treadmill.

15. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hello all. I wish I had found this board in September of 2011 when I fell down the stairs and fractured my 5th metatarsal all the way through in two places. It was nasty.

Had surgery about a week later to the tune of a plate and six screws. Spent the next 6-8 weeks in the walking boot, and over the course of about 6 months total I was able to run on it with no pain.

A year and a half later, the scar tingles a bit, and I get a zinger or two in it when the rain is coming, but so far so good.

I was not crazy about the surgery, but it has proven (so far) to be the right choice.