1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

long 2nd toe pain

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    58 year old male from USA (5' 11", 175 lb)- started running again 1 year ago after a layoff of 20 years - running about 25 miles per week currently. My right foot has a 2nd toe just equal to or slightly longer than big toe. Has been taking a beating since i started running longer distances - (more than 5-6 miles and it starts hurting). Didn't start hurting until last 3-4 months (maybe due to increased mileage) - before that, toenail on 2nd toe turned black and fell off, but no pain, so i kept going. Area on front of toe looks calused and just generally rough (like you really rubbed it with sandpaper) - pain feels like you were hitting it repeatedly from the front of the foot - usually stops hurting within a few minutes after i stop running, although seems to be hanging on longer as i progress to longer runs. (up to 10-12 miles slowly (10-11 min/mile) on weekends - I would try bigger shoes, but i wear 13's (New Balance 1223 - also a over pronator) and i think the next size up is a 14, which i fear would be too big. Pain is bearable, but hurts pretty bad anytime i have run over 6 miles - stopped at 7 tonite, cause it was hurting pretty bad. Have tried removing the spenco polysorb insoles, cause i thought they might be pushing my foot forward in the shoe and making it hit the front of my shoe - no change - tried thicker socks - no change - tried silicon toe cover - helped a little at first, but mileage has caught up with the improvement - have tried lacing shoes tighter to maybe keep feet from slipping around and banging intofront of shoe- trying to train for a half-marathon, so i need a lot of runs over 6 miles. haven't been told anything about it yet, except to buy bigger shoes. Haven't thought about wider shoes much, cause i assume my toe is banging into the FRONT of my shoe...No other symptoms - had knee pain after 1st half marathon (8 months ago) but new shoes and spenco insoles fixed it. help! (i also should note that i wear down the outside rear of my right shoe before anything else) (sorry this is so long, but i tried to answer all the questions the admin requested in his note) THANKS!

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS- ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    As, sight unseen, I would normally suspect, as did you, that the problems is the sliding forward of the foot in the shoe as you run, and as as you have already tried the Spenco anti-shearing force insole and the cushioned toe cap that I would generally advise, I don't have a treatment recommendation for you. Overly short shoes are generally evident immediately, and larger shoes are generally no remedy for such sliding, as they often allow for more of it, so perhaps your theory of the cause may be faulty. I would advise a hands-on evaluation, and be sure to bring all of your running shoes with you.

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Thanks for the quick reply. As i just found this forum yesterday, excuse my ignorance, but i guess you aren't really suggesting i see YOU, per se, unless you are close to Middle Tennessee.

I live in a small town and will probably have to go to Nashville - do you have any recommendations of somebody to see or at least what specialty? Should i look for a "Sports Podiatrist" or what?

thanks again.

4. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

No, I never solicit, nor do I even accept patients to whom I knowingly have replied in forums such as this, and I abhor the many doctors who use forums or their personal "informational" web sites for that purpose. My services here are REALLY free, and I seek neither personal recognition, nor financial benefit.

Although I don't think that you necessarily need one who specializes in sports medicine for this problem, I would recommend that you carefully vet and choose a podiatrist for diagnosis and treatment. I am unable to offer you a specific referral.

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

OK - thanks again - i appreciate it.

6. jayersgould

jayersgould Guest

I am having the exact same issue. What was the resolution?

7. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I am having the same issues also. Did some hiking today and coming down the mountain, my 2nd toe takes all the pressure in my shoe. I wear an orthotic and good shoes and socks. My shoes are a half size larger than my street shoes. I feel like I am developing a bunion and this is why my second toe seems to be getting longer. (Because my big toe is starting to angle out.)

I have already lost the nail on my left foot and I feel that the right foot is going soon.

please help.

8. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS-ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    As you have lost the nail on your 2nd toe, it would seem probable that it has been traumatized by chronically banging up against the toe box of the shoe. This occurs most often when there is inertial slippage of the foot in the shoe, and although longer shoes might help some, they would likely also create other shearing force problems elsewhere in the foot. Make sure your shoes are properly sized by going to a professional shoe store where shoes are knowledgeably fitted and consider a flat anti-shearing force insole such as made by Spenco.

9. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

An additional thought . . .
    You say that you believe you are developing a bunion. It may be that that deformity may be keeping you from obtaining otherwise well-fitted shoes.