1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

5th Met Fracture: exercises to prevent atropy of leg muscles?

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Mincho, Oct 13, 2010.

1. Mincho

Mincho Guest

I had a fracture close to the base of my 5th metatarsal (right foot) on Aug 15, 2010. After 2 weeks on a plaster cast and 4 weeks on a walker boot (both under non-weight bearing conditions), the X-rays revealed non-union. Although the pain was almost (not totally) gone, my orthopedic doctor asked me to try to walk on it. However, there was moderate pain. He then indicated that intramedullary screw fixation was needed. I underwent surgery on Oct 7, 2010 and was placed on an open plaster cast for 2 weeks until the stitches are due to be removed on Oct 20. My orthopedic doctor will then give me a closed plaster cast for another 2 weeks and then a walker boot for 2 additional weeks. Because thus far I have been over 8 weeks on crutches under non-weight bearing conditions, and I still see ahead of me about 6-8 more weeks of the same (with the last 2 perhaps of partial weight bearing), I want to know whether there are any exercises that I can do laying on a floor mat to prevent my leg muscles to undergo further atrophy. Also, if there is any other exercise program that I can do, I will appreciate receiving advise. Thanks.