1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Foot injury from car accident

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, May 12, 2009.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I was in a bad car accident a week ago. I was taken to the hospital, got x-rays, and was told I fractured my 4th metatarsal. Since then the swelling in my foot has gone down considerably and most of the pain has subsided, but there is a considerable amount of swelling and pain in my ankle, particularly on the left side near my ankle bone. I have been in a boot and on crutches and keeping the foot elevated as much as possible. My question is this: is the ankle swelling and pain to be expected, or is it possible I also injured my ankle in the accident and it went unnoticed by both the hospital and my ortho?

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS-ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    I have no idea as to what actually occurred in your bad auto accident, and it is certainly possible, even likely that you had sustained some injury to areas other then just the 4th metatarsal. I would have to assume that whoever assessed your injuries would have made a comprehensive examination, but certainly some injuries can go unnoticed, especially if you were expressing no complaints and there were no overt findings in other areas or the foot and ankle. Contact your doctor.

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Thanks for the reply. Called the doctor today and got a general response that the ankle swelling is to be expected. The only thing that concerns me is the pain near the ankle bone, but I probably should just wait for my cat scan approval to worry about that. 2 more questions: on average, how long does swelling from this type of injury usually last, and should I be taking any sort of anti- inflammatory? I am currently not any other medicine as I gave up the perscribed painkillers.

4. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

I would think that as your doctor told you that such swelling was to be expected that you would have asked him/her the very questions you are asking here. Why not call back and do just that?

5. arif85

arif85 New Member

I also think that as your doctor told you that such swelling was to be expected that you would have asked him/her the very questions you are asking here. tell ur doctor to check again.

6. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I should have been more specific. When I said I got a general answer, I mean I didn't even get past the receptionist to talk to the doctor, but thanks anyway.

7. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

Look folks . . . When you engage a doctor and he/she expects to get paid for caring for you, you need to demand the service for which you are paying. This patient had a perfectly reasonable question and apparently didn't think enough of him/herself so as to let him/herself be given important medical information by, of all people . . the doctor's RECEPTIONIST . . . not a nurse, not a physician's assistant, but a telephone answerer, greeter and appointment maker. Is THAT what one pays for when he/she pays a doctor? The only reason that doctors get away with such inadequate service is because YOU, the PATIENTS allow them to do so. So don't blame anyone but yourselves when you get exactly the neglect that you ask for. The thing for this patient to have done was to either insist on speaking directly with the doctor, either then or by a call-back.

Last edited: May 13, 2009
  8. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Foot Doctor people come on here looking for answers, not criticism or to be mad to feel stupid. Keeping in mind that these people are most likely already in pain they do not need you adding insult to injury.

9. josh

josh Guest

I was in car accident 16 years ago. Had reconstructive surgery in foot with metal plate & screws. The last couple of years the pain has been bad but now almost unbearable. I've had several xrays done at ER and am always told everything looks good. I don't have insurance so can't afford to go see a podiatrist. I go to a low/no income clinic but no help there. I have no income.....currently filing for disability for other problems and this. I'm so tired of the pain!