1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Broken Foot Survey (I Need Help!) : (

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Unregistered, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Broken Foot Survey (I Need Help!) : (

Broken Foot Survey-- Need Help :(

MY FRACTURE

The fracture itself is of the fifth metatarsal, the so-called "jones fracture." Unfortunately, my doctor never showed me my x-ray, only told me what I had. I got the x-ray because I asked (it was taken at my primary doctor by a physician's assistant something or other who didn't show it either). They said 4-6 weeks in a cast and crutches, as did the ortheo doctor (who also didn't show me the x-ray).

CAST
    My cast is a velcro-type boot that goes up to my knee. He told me I could take it off to sleep and for bathing (though when I take it off, sometimes it is uncomfortable to my foot). AND it is a cast that was quickly slopped on me that is FAR too big. They didn't have anything smaller at the time and even after repeated (nice) calls requesting questions to be answered (such as the ones I send MUA) and asking if the smaller cast is ready, no one ever calls me back. I am quite scared that it won't heal properly either. I haven't had too much pain, but worry about the ill-fitting cast, the positions I sleep in, and other things. Could this cause improper healing?

Initially he gave me a note to give my employer for a month off from work. My work wants him to fill out a detailed form that specifies in what way the injury prevents me from working. This of course sucks because although it isn't the job itself, it is the getting there, to work, to desk, to restroom, etc. that worries me. I have had a difficult time with crutches and when the rare instance I have left home, the one or two steps that I approach give a tad of weight to my injured and TONS of worry to me. I was told to not apply ANY weight to the foot or risk surgery.

OTHER QUESTIONS

If your doctor gave you bed rest, were you given specific instructions? Like, no work, no school, no nothing? Did get up for the essentials on crutches? Did you sit up, use the computer, go in a car, approach any steps that were tricky?

AFTER THE CAST

After they took your cast off, and you put you in another (I assume yours was a plaster cast initially -- if not, what kind of cast???), were you able to walk or did you still need crutches? Did you ever feel the weight of the cast to be detrimental to your injury? (they told me to keep weight off it, so confusing).

Sorry for all the questions. This experience is daunting and isolating. My doctors and his staff are MIA (trying to get a new one, yet worried they'll be upset and not work to give me short term leave at work since they have my forms), so I appreciate any help very much.

Any other words you can add would be very appreciated.

Sincerely,
    Maria

2. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hello Maria,
    I just read your question. Well, I am in a similar case like you and still have not healed so can't answer all your questions but I'll give you my experience and situation so far. I broke my fifth metatarsal but not Jones fracture. I was initially given a cast and crutches for 4 weeks and then supposedly was going to use the cast for another 4 weeks (overall 8 weeks). I am still at school so I went to classes for the first month using the crutches. It was very hard to manage as my palms, arms, hands, and hips started hurting from the crutches. After 4 weeks, I went to the dr. again and got an X-ray. There was no sign of callus growing, so the dr. told me to keep using the crutches for another 2 weeks. I continued using the crutches and 2 weeks later I got another X-ray and, according to the dr., it showed some sign of callus so he allowed me to put some weight on my fractured foot. Now, I am walking with the boot cast (it goes up to my knee and has straps...a very heavy boot). My heel hurts from walking with the boot cast.
    I am supposed to see my dr. again in 4 weeks to see the progress. It seems that even this mid shaft fracture is going to take a long time to heal.
    During the initial 6 weeks that I was using crutches, I spent most of my time in bed (whenever I was not in school) and kept my foot up. I did not sit at all at home. At school, I used to keep my foot up too. Try to elevate the foot as much as possible so that it doesn't swell.
    As far as I know, Jones fractures take a long time to heal. Good luck and hope your injury heals fast.
    Hope this helps.
    MH

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hey There!

A few months late... So did your work cause you any other problems? Were' you able to stay off? Because I'm in the same boat. I had surgery on my two broken bones in my foot and two broken toes. I have a pin sticking out of of my foot and two other internal pins. The external pin comes out in 6 weeks and the internal pins come out in 9 months when I have to have another surgery.

I live in a 'garden' or sublevel apartment and to get up the steps someone has to put towels down on the stairs and I have to crawl up on my hands and knees. Yeah my boss is a dummy that doesn't 'get it'- for why I can't work.. But HR hasn't contacted me with anything else challenging my 4 weeks off of work. I just went to my follow up appointment on Thursday to get my staples removed. Yes it's the issue of getting to work and fuctioning when you are there. Crutches in the winter is dangerous!

4. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I broke my foot 5 weeks ago. 5th metatarsal. Was initially told 6 weeks no weight at all. Wore a cam walker no cast. Had to sleep with the damn thing. Last week doc took xray..says I'm healed I can put weight on it. I was shocked! It hurts walking but not where it broke, just the nerves feel balled up from inactivity. I feel like a miracle healer every site people still in cast after 6 weeks! I have to massage the foot and it and the ankle swells but after a week Im already going up stairs..walking slowly but still. I'm worried should I be walking? Could I have gotten the green light too soon? Doc did show me xrays both times..

I'm just dying to rock heels and dance again...but don't want foot to fracture again...I've got Kaiser so they probably just wanted me out of their hair!

5. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

Other than for Jone's fractures, most uncomplicated fractures of the metatarsals heal uneventfully in about 6 weeks, often without the need for casting. You should be getting your instructions and limitation from the doctor under whose care you are being treated. I doubt whether you are medically competent to properly read the x-rays, so your having been shown them is a non-issue. But I think that your ending comment is probably uncalled for, as Kaiser has at least as much interest as do you in your uneventful healing, rather than cutting corners and having to treat the complications. Well healed fractures should be at least as strong as prior to the injury. If you have reason to believe that you are not well-healed, return to your doctor or see another.

6. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I have a fracture. I was put in a cast too tight. I had gone to an er. after my toes kept turning black and feeling a pressure on point on top of the crease where my ankle is.
    I couldn't even get up to go to the bathroom without all the pressure numbing my leg and my toes turning black. First er visit they tried to say it was blood healing.
    I usually pay close attention to my body. So I knew I could only lay in one position so the blood could flow to fit. My orginal ortho barely spoke to me let alone pain any attention the the cast after casting.
    After another week of tourture and still feeling this isn't right I went to E.R again this time being very clear about the black toes. They listned and cut off my cast.
    Before it totatlly numbed or perm damage.
    After waiting for a new referral finally my amdn. doctor listened got me appt right away.
    now in a walking boot. I find it okay to sleep in. I can walk with crutches and it's getting better after I allowed my foot to heal from all the pressure.
    Sleeping is still hard with the boot off. I still feel the pressure rising up. What can I use to sleep. I see my doc in 2 weeks. He says it will be 2 months before really healed. What does that mean? another shoe? not sure, cane?

The two weeks in the cast was wasted time due to cast too tight, if I didn't pay attention to how to lay so blood flowed, things could of turned out a lot worse.

d

7. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

You have an orthopedist and have been seen by an ER doctor. Don't you think that if you have or are intending to pay them for their services that you might demand a sit-down with either or both of them and have your questions answered to your satisfaction, or find yourself another doctor who will give you actual service for your money?

8. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I just suffered a Jone's fracture this week and like hearing all your experiences. Here's mine: I went to the ER and had x-rays (which weren't shared with me) and was told it was a fracture. I was given a sandle and crutches and told to follow up with my family doctor and an ortho doctor in 3-5 days. They prescribed 800 mg of Ibuprophin and Loritab for the pain. I found it humorous they prescribed a narcotic to a person learning to walk on crutches. Needless to say, I didn't get it filled. I'm really not in any pain, as long as I stay off my foot. The ER doctor wrote me a two-day doctor's excuse for work, so I stayed out and rested for two days then returned to work.

I had a very hard time getting around until I went to the ortho doctor three days into my injury. He showed me my x-rays, explained where I was fractured, examined my foot, and fitted me with one of those big knee-high boot walkers. He said I could put weight on my heel while wearing the walker, and showed me how to use the crutches. By turning your foot diagonally, you are forced to walk on your heel. It is such a relief for me to be able to touch my foot to the ground while walking. Before, I was hopping around on one foot--which really exhausted me and hurt my good foot.

Tomorrow will mark the one-week anniversary of my fracture. I've noticed that my foot feels better first thing in the morning, after I've been laying flat all night. I have a hard time keeping it elevated at work and, by the end of the day, it's really swollen. I think in a few more days I'll be able to walk without the crutches for the most part. I sleep with the brace off, as it seems to help the swelling go down. I'm having a really hard time in the bath. Anyone have any tips?

9. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

On the 4th of July, I tripped up some stairs and broke my 3rd, 4th, and 5th metatarsals in my right foot. The injuries were significant enough that surgery was mentioned, but the orthopedic surgeon decided that non-surgical management would be a better way to go. So, I am in a boot, with crutches and instructed to not bear weight. My next appointment with ortho is on August 9th. I was told to be off work until at least that date.

On Friday, I received a phone call from my employer's work connections office. Based on my job as an administrative assistant, I was cleared to return to work on light duty. However, I have not yet been cleared to drive, and I live 25 miles from my work place. My work building is not handicap accessible at all. To get to my office, I'd have to climb 6 stairs with crutches. Additionally, the ladies room is on the 2nd floor and there is no elevator.

I do want to return to work, but other than driving myself, I have no other way to get there. I emailed my concerns to work connections and to my doctor. And of course, it's the weekend, so all I've done is worry. Any input or advice?

Lisa in Michigan

10. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

All of this sounds like me.

You know how your parents told you to tie your shoes when you were younger? I now know why. I was watching my brothers dog while he was out of town. It was a normal Sunday, getting ready to watch my Redskins lose, but before that it was time to let the dog out.

I threw on some untied shoes and chased the dog around for a quick exercise before the game. Oops. I went from pavement to grass and rolled my foot... POP. At this time I yelled out every cuss word known in the English language. After 5 minutes my foot turned into a marshmallow and decided to drive myself to the ER.

Doc tells me I broke my 5th metatarsal but doesnt tell me much. Puts me in a temp cast until I go see my foot doctor 3-5 days later. 3 days later I see the foot doctor and he puts me in a knee high, quite unfashionable boot. He tells me I can take it off for shower and sleep, but apply no pressure and not to cheat. I was given a note for 2 days off of work and a prescription of percocet for the pain.

I went through so many different steps. Step 1 was depression. I felt like such an idiot for what I did and depressed I was going to be out of commission from my social life. Step 2 was anger. I couldnt even do the simplest things; make a sandwich, go to the bathroom easily, move, carry anything etc. Step 3 was acceptance. I now know Im broken and have nothing to do but make the best of it. I spent my days learning how to do things easier, cheat the system. I learned to walk with a back pack to carry things, I mastered the stairs; oh, did I mention on I live on the 4th floor apartment... with no elevator? Ya...

Today marks 3 weeks in this God awful thing. I go back Wednesday for my parole hearing on my foot.

The first week and a half was absolute misery for me when I took my boot off. Constant swelling if it wasn't elevated, and hurt if my foot would hang out of place, as I was unable to move it. At night I slept with it elevated on a pillow which sucked the first few nights, but when I would wake up I was shocked to find my foot looking normal and non swollen until I got up and about.

Today, 3 weeks later, I feel like I can put pressure on it, even tho Im not. I massage my foot occasionally to help blood flow, and lay on the couch with my foot out of the cast.

I hope when I go in to the doc again in 3 days I will at least be able to walk with a cane. I have been miserable. Oh also... dont forget to wash the damn thing. I can smell.... bad.

Morale of the story is this experience has taught me many things. You never realize how fortunate you are to have 2 working feet until one goes down. So be thankful you WILL recover, and just patiently wait. It will be worth it in the end... I promise.

Best of luck, hang in there...

11. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I went to my doc yesterday and was shocked.

After 3.5 weeks of no pressure and following directions of the doctor, I can walk. I still am in this God awful boot for 3-4 more weeks, but I can walk! Ill take it!

However... this comes with a heavy price to pay. Before I put pressure on my foot I gave it a "test run". I put half pressure and it hurt... bad. My muscles had been hibernating, they were not used to pressure, so the first 10 mins of walking around was painful.

When I started walking, I used a cane, because your foot is so weak it can give out at anytime from lack of use. This is day 2 of walking, and my heel feels like its shattered. I am in extreme pain after walking and first couple steps I take. I want to call my doc and ask for pain killers but Im scared he may tell me to get back on crutches.

The swelling has stopped, but the pain has intensified. It still is early, so I wont jump the gun yet. Hopefully it will get better soon.

I ditched the crutches for a cane so I could walk. Tho it makes me look like an old man when im only 24.... at this point, I don't care. How many other 24 year olds walk with a cane? Yes, im that awesome.

12. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Anybody know what to wear on good foot? This boot is so high. dr said I could use heel of boot and 1 crutch. None of my footwear is that high off the ground. Don't want to get a new high shoe that i would fall off!

13. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hi my names Tony. I've recently been away skiing with a group of friends.

My foot injury never happened on the slopes however, it happened on the night time in the local bar. I was doing great with a fellow tourist and she seemed really into me. However, a friend, well thought he was a friend (for legal reasons i'll call him ctevie sommon) came stapeading onto the dance floor and and stood all over my feet! He ended up going back and sleeping with this girl. My question is. Will i ever recover from this severe bruising on my foot as a result of his actions?

Cheers Tony x

14. wwotr

wwotr New Member

Count your Blessings. I broke my 4th Metatarsal last May. In a Cast through September (with a Bone Stimulator). November I'm 85% Healed and the cast comes off..
    January of 2011, It breaks again. Not only the 4th but every other Toe except the Big Toe. Been back in a Walking boot for 8 weeks. No healing and "4 Non Unions". Surgery with 2 pins schedualed, and if the other 2 don't heal on their own, then it' Fusion Time.

15. Gimpy Girl

Gimpy Girl Guest

Wow! Did you do anything to break the other metatarsals? I'd be concerned about a bone issue if not.

16. wwotr

wwotr New Member

Pretty Much walked on my Broken Foot, because I have Neuropathy from the Diabetes, and didn't feel much of anything except a slight "Discomfort",
    up until about 2 weeks ago. Now it's really starting to hurt. I was told I was "Below the Empty Gauge" on Calcium and Vitamin D.
    So I'm taking 2000 units of Both daily.
    Actually their worried about the Bone chewing up my Foot from the inside out and starting a Diabetic Ulcer on top of everything else!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  17. wwotr

wwotr New Member

Also did a little digging and found out the Aciphex and Nexium I've been taking,
    for 17 years(for Acid Reflux), can cause Brittle Bones, so I called my Doctor and quit taking it.:cool:

Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  18. lyntys

lyntys Guest

I went to let the dog out on 10 March 2011, tripped and ended up standing on my toes, holding on for dear life to the radiator. Looked down and could hear a funny noise, this was the two bones in my heel breaking. I sat on the chair and looked at my foot which was very swollen, I think I knew it was broken then so I got in the car and went to A & E.
    I was sent for xrays and waited for the verdict, the doc said, you don't need surgery but it will take months not weeks to heal. Was put in a cast for 3 weeks, a knee high boot for 3 weeks and not allowed to put any weight on it. I am now learning to walk again with help from the physio, I can get around on the crutches, am trying to master one crutch and also can get up stairs now using just one. Have been told we can start to get out of the boot, have tried standing on the bad leg and finding it very painful and with trying to walk it swells a lot. Have found it easier to move and exercise the foot in water, as I'm on my own I have worked out how to get in and out of the bath by trial and error. I'm trying really hard but could cry with the frustration of not being able to go out, do the normal everyday things. Should it hurt quite a bit and swell like it does?

19. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I have a Jones fracture that I did one week ago. I am in a boot cast but my orthro doctor said I could walk on it. I have walker I could not use crutches. My foot still hurts but not as badly as it did as it did at the start of the week. I am tired of sitting in the house and keeping my foot elevated but at least I can get around the house since my doctor said I could walk on the cast. I will be very upset if I need surgery because I can't stand to be stuck in the house for another maybe 8 weeks recovering from surgery. I am so active I am worried about gaining weight too. I feel so terrible I cry most of the time.

20. Aman

Aman Guest

Hi

I also got foot fracture on the bone under my little finger last week.Today I saw foot soecialist .They removed the cast which was put on by emergency doctor and put on air cast shoe.
    The foot specialist told me that I can walk with that air cast with my full weight on that and no restrictions.
    The pain is there when I walk but is manageable.
    I am afraid that putting my weight on broken foot will delay the healing.

Any one with same experience ?