1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

3wk post op foot still swollen?????

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by tupenny, Jan 12, 2009.

1. tupenny

tupenny New Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi all wonder if anyone has any suggestions why my foot is still swollen 3weeks post op, having had 3 toes infused with k wire....:)

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

Probably because you had surgery 3 weeks ago, but also maybe because you have a complication. Have you given any consideration to calling your surgeon for an opinion?

3. tupenny

tupenny New Member

Hi thanks for your reply, I did consider it but dont want to waste his time, i wasnt sure if i was to expect it. I wasnt really given any post op advice.
    The top side of my foot is swollen but it wasnt swollen 2 weeks ago when i had my stitches out.

4. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

Is there something in the water out there. This sort of thing goes on far too much. This doctor has cut on you. He has a responsibility to you. He will be well paid for his efforts in your behalf. He works for you, not you for him. But let me take you at your word and assume the he really didn't inform you what to expect and didn't give you any post-operative advice. Didn't it occur to you that he should have? Shouldn't you have asked BEFORE you needed an answer? I'm quite certain that you were given a "Informed Consent" form for your signature prior to the surgery. Implicit in that form is your giving testimony to your understanding of what is going to be done and what to expect. But even discounting all of that, are you really willing to take the opinion of someone who knows nothing of your case as to whether whatever degree of swelling you are experiencing is normal or whether it might be evidence of a complication, such as an infection, or blockage of venous drainage or thrombophlebitis or an overly traumatic and poorly performed surgery . . or whatever?? Why would you EVER consider that YOUR piece of mind is not worth . . as you put it . . possibly "wasting" his time??

Now get on that phone and go WASTE HIS TIME!

Get a grip, everyone out there. Patients have a responsibility in the doctor-patient relationship. Becoming a good and effective patient CAN be learned. So many expect and accept poor professional service and some of them are moved to actually complain (to others) about their doctor's not servicing them well because they allow them not to service them well. It doesn't have to be that way, folks, but only the patient can see to it that it doesn't.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  5. tupenny

tupenny New Member

Thanks for replying foot doc. I have taken on board everything you have said I will contact him, i have no defence of my ignorance only we sometimes feel humble to those who have our life in their hands so to speak.
    I am a doctors receptionist and know full well of the short comings of health care proffessionals. I suppose I didnt want to be the pain in the **** that I so often hear being called.
    Once again thank you so much for kicking my proverbial and reminding me that I too have a right.

6. tupenny

tupenny New Member

Sorry I forgot to say, I have been waiting for this operation for about 2 years. I have had several appointments with the consultant and he didnt seem that intrested in doing the operation that I needed. At the last appointment I had I didnt see the usual consultant, and expected to be fobbed off again. I was taken by surprise when he took one look at my foot and said I would hear shortly about a date for the operation. I thought that he would explaine post op care the next time I saw him which was a month later (the day of my op) On the day of my op he came to see me in a whirl wind and didnt hardly explain anything, I then assumed that I would be informed about after care directly after the op but again I wasnt.
    I actually signied the consent form lying on the trolley, on the back of someones hand 30 seconds before given anesthetic.
    Once again thank you so very much for taking the time to answer me.

7. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

Pardon me tupenny, but with your indulgence, I simply MUST take your story of tribulations as an opportunity to "lecture" the readers as a group. Please folks . . Listen to this patient's unfortunate story. Though even more disturbing here in that she is someone who is employed as a doctor's receptionist, and should well know that the guy with the white coat is a mere mortal, there are plenty more of you out there who will undergo medical treatment or surgery without knowing what is happening, without being able to make a proper and informed decision as to what is being done and what to expect and being only thankful that the god in a lab coat has consented to lay his magic hands upon you. Take it from this "guy with the magic hands," I don't deserve that sort of deference and this patient's doctor doesn't either. Would any of you allow such a situation with a plumber or a mechanic or ANYONE but a doctor? I HOPE not! Now I am quite sure from the use of the term "consultant" and the two-year wait that tupenny obtained services under some non- U.S. single payer national health plan, so no wonder her doctor didn't have much interest in operating on her . . If you got the same pay for operating or not operating how anxious would YOU be if you were he? But for those of you whose doctors actually get paid only for the work that they do, there is even less reason for the acceptance of this sort of subservience. Many times, one receives only the quality of service which he/she demands. To settle for less only perpetuates its lack both for you and for others.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2009