1. Welcome to the Foot Health Forum community where you can ask about foot problems and get help, as well as be up-to-date with the latest foot health information. Only registered members can ask a question, but you do not need to register to respond and give help. Please become part of the community (here) and check out the shop.

Swollen Foot for 3 Months

Discussion in 'Ask your questions here' started by Esther, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Esther

Esther Guest

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    My mother has not been able to walk for about 3 months, due to her left foot. She uses a wheelchair to get around in the house. Her foot doc took xrays and determined that she had Achilles insertional tendinitis and possible plantar fasciitis. There was a heel spur. He also believed that her continued swelling even though she was on diclofenac for over three weeks was due to rheumatoid arthritis. So, she took a bunch of blood tests to see if she did have arthritis. Her results were unremarkable, no arthritis. We then went back to see the foot doc again. The pain that my mother had at the back part of her leg was no longer there, but the pain had now moved to her heel area, especially the inner side of her heel. If you pressed you thumb on her heel she could feel the pain and she also had a feeling of blood pooling at the heel if her foot was down. Her foot was still swollen. The doctor said that she had plantar fasciitis.

We have tried just about all the home therapy exercises and stretches. The ice, the elevation, the rest, the hot/cold water therapy, hot/cold towels, OTC arch supports, night splints, massage, warm pool visits, . . . etc. Because my mother does not have insurance, I have been reading everything I can on these conditions and reading up on physical therapy books so I can help her out. We have been going every day to an aquatic center where they have a warm pool. She uses an stationary exercise bike at home. She is a very healthy eater so I know that is not a problem. After 3 months, she was starting to get the swelling down a bit and had started to walk a bit while holding onto her wheelchair. Then, suddenly, her foot was swollen again as it was 3 months ago. The whole bottom of her foot, from the ball of her foot to the entire heel area is swollen. She only has pain at the heel of her foot. I am worried that it might not be plantar fasciitis at all and I am also worried because having swelling in her heel for so long may cause other problems. Do people who have plantar fasciitis have swelling for extended periods of time?

We are at a loss. If there is anyone out there that can help us find a solution, it would be greatly appreciated.

2. FootDoc

FootDoc New Member

DISCLAIMER:
    THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED GRATIS AS GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND, AS SUCH, MAY NOT BE APPLICABLE TO THE SPECIFIC QUESTIONER AND/OR HIS/HER PROBLEM. IT IS CLEARLY NOT BASED ON ACTUAL KNOWLEDGE AND/OR EXAMINATION OF THE QUESTIONER OR HIS/HER MEDICAL HISTORY, AND IT CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS DEFINITIVE MEDICAL OPINION OR ADVICE. ONLY THROUGH HANDS- ON PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE ACTUAL PATIENT CAN ACCURATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS BE ESTABLISHED AND SPECIFIC ADVICE BE GIVEN. NO DOCTOR/PATIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED OR ESTABLISHED OR MAY BE INFERRED. THE QUESTIONER AND/OR READER IS INSTRUCTED TO CONSULT HIS OR HER OWN DOCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS CONTAINED HEREIN, AND TO ACT ONLY UPON HIS/HER OWN DOCTOR’S ORDERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. BY THE READING OF MY POSTING WHICH FOLLOWS, THE READER STIPULATES AND CONFIRMS THAT HE/SHE FULLY UNDERSTANDS THIS DISCLAIMER AND HOLDS HARMLESS THIS WRITER. IF THIS IS NOT FULLY AGREEABLE TO YOU, THE READER, AND/OR YOU HAVE NOT ATTAINED THE AGE OF 18 YEARS, YOU HEREBY ARE ADMONISHED TO READ NO FURTHER.
    First of all, overt swelling is NOT a typical finding in patients with plantar fasciitis. So connecting the two problems, as you seem to do, may not be a constructive way in which to determine the best course of action. It is more likely the case that she may have plantar fasciitis along with some other disorder which may be the actual cause of her swelling, and perhaps another problem causing her inability to walk. You have stated that your mother is wheelchair bound, having been unable to walk for some 3 months, but none of the diagnoses which you have mentioned are common reasons for the need for a wheelchair. Certainly, the inactivity resultant from the prolonged use of a wheelchair might predispose one to swelling of the lower extremities. But, because swelling might occur due to many reasons, the actual cause of the swelling has to be determined before an appropriate treatment regimen can be formulated. Forums such as this are not appropriate venues for the making of diagnoses, which generally must take into consideration far more than a patient's description of symptoms. It sounds to me as though her previous diagnoses may have been made by throwing a dart at a list, so, I think that another opinion by hands-on evaluation by a well-vetted doctor is appropriate.

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I too have been having problems like, pooling of blood at the ball and all toes, starting about 3 weeks ago. It makes it very difficult to walk around. I can stand and walk for no more than 20 minutes before I have to elevate my foot. When standing, for any amount of time, makes the ball of my foot and toes either feel like they are going to blow out or go completely numd to the point of pain. This seems to have come out of the blue. Been to 3 Doctors so far with no diagnosis. Any help would be great. Thank You

4. Joey M

Joey M Guest

I am a 33 year old male who was in fantastic shape (8% body fat, regular challenging exercise, weightlifting and strict diet, although I am a smoker) and I regularly (8-10 times a month) played basketball for 2 hours. I sprained my ankle 2 months ago on the 4 of feb 2011. I went for xrays and they were negative. I went back to the doctors and had another xray on the 16th of feb which was also negative. The leg was swollen up to the Knee. I couldn't put shoes on because they wouldn't fit and my leg felt very heavy. After a month the swelling had diminsihed to the point where I could wear shoes again, however from my lower leg down it is still very swollen. It will drain when I sleep and as soon as I get up it starts filling again. The ankle looks like an Orange. It has a circular belt of thick tough inflammed tissue surrounding the top of my foot at the joint. My achillies was "locked" in place but it seem to have been loosening up abit lately. My main concern is the swelling. It doesn't seem like it will ever go away. It looks deformed at times. In the morning time with the drastically reduced swelling it still looks like my entire foot/lower leg have been tenderized. There's no visible veins, ligaments or muscle showing like is visible with the other (my right one which also has a smaller belt of tissue from spraining that one the month before). When I wear my shoes for the day and take them off afterwards, its really quite disgusting. The foot looks drained but the toughened tissue surrounding the ankle is very swollen like the side of a hockey puck. The lower leg is still three times the size of the other. When I lift my pant legs to show someone it looks like two different legs. The doctors don't seem too concerned about ligament damage because they said a I can walk normally on it virtually pain free. However if I slightly twist the ankle quickly while doing something I get tremendous amount of pain. Fortunately this doesn't happen often.

My doctor (who doesn't think an MRI is necessary) and Physiotherapist (who won't take me without knowing whats wrong) are suggesting Phlebitis as a cause of the swelling but I am an avid athlete... can a high ankle sprain cause phlebitis? Would that explain the belt of toughened tissue surronding the ankle joint?

5. Gimpy Girl

Gimpy Girl Guest

I think I'd be asking for a referral to an orthopedic surgeon (or another orthopedic surgeon if that is who said you didn't need an MRI) for a second opinion, and demanding an MRI to rule stuff in or out. Continual swelling to that degree damages tissues.

6. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I to am experiencing the same symptoms in my right foot. Did you ever find out what was causing your problem. My doctor could not find any cause either. Thankyou

7. MsG

MsG Guest

I have Plantar Fasciitis and my feet too were swollen for a monthm they felt like huge cussions attached to my legs. I had a number of tests before to determine what was wrong. One of my doctors concluded it was arthritis and put me on steroids. The results were amazing. Swelling and pain reduced overnight. But after 2 weeks and reduction of the dose the pain came back. This time I went to an orthopaedic and he told me its plantas fasciitis. He told me to wear soft cushioned shoes and prescribed some medicines. I'm writing down the name of medicines prescribed to me, including the steroids thought those I won't really recommend.
    Predmet (the steroids) 16mg, 8mg, 4mg, 2mg (reducing the dosage gradually)
    Cozim-Q and Caleat-C

The orthopaedic told me to start taking these- Pepsa-D and Basical Forte Alfa (this one for the longest)

8. MsG

MsG Guest

I have Plantar Fasciitis and my feet too were swollen for a monthm they felt like huge cussions attached to my legs. I had a number of tests before to determine what was wrong. One of my doctors concluded it was arthritis and put me on steroids. The results were amazing. Swelling and pain reduced overnight. But after 2 weeks and reduction of the dose the pain came back. This time I went to an orthopaedic and he told me its plantas fasciitis. He told me to wear soft cushioned shoes and prescribed some medicines. I'm writing down the name of medicines prescribed to me, including the steroids thought those I won't really recommend.
    Predmet (the steroids) 16mg, 8mg, 4mg, 2mg (reducing the dosage gradually)
    Cozim-Q and Caleat-C

The orthopaedic told me to start taking these- Pepsa-D and Basical Forte Alfa (this one for the longest)
    Basically you need soft shoes and calcium
    Ointments at nigh help too